Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Watched any good films lately??

Watched any good films lately??

Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watched any good films lately??

Originally Posted by mattmc
In the Pursuit of Happiness (typo)
Oh, I loved that one!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:59 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Gangs of New York - fantastic film
Magnificent movie, as were

Team America
Jaws 4 the revenge (not really)
Leon
Reservoir dogs
The adventures of Baron Munchausen (odd choice i know, but I liked it)

Can't think of too many recent ones tho
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rabsody
Recently watched:
No Country For Old Men - fabulous, definitely recommend it
There Will Be Blood - ok, not as good as I thought it was going to be
Little Children - worth a watch
The Jammed - an Aussie movie actually worth watching!
The Kingdom - worth a watch
Rendition - worth a watch
Michael Clayton - excellent and stars George Clooney, double bonus!
Sleuth

Average:
1408 - though you gotta love John Cusack
Beowulf
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium - total rubbish
Fracture
Spiderwick Chronicles - ok but predictable
Why is it that John Cusak is so watchable yet most of his films are average at best. He needs a new agent if you ask me. Hopefully his new one War Inc. will be a step up.
Wasn't No Country magnificent??!!
I found Michael Clayton boring but it won lots of acclaim so I might go back and visit it just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Tom Wilkinson was great in it though.
I missed There Will Be Blood at the cinema but it seems your view is a shared one about it being a piece of work that you respect rather than love. Will definitely get it out on DVD though.
Totally agree with Mr. Magorium's Boring Emporium.
An Aussie film worth watching???....you are or have been on that wine again!!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Oh, I loved that one!
Just found it the most predictable film ever. I just sat there feeling sad for the whole movie except for the last scene. They should have renamed it In the Pursuit of 30 seconds of Happiness
Will Smith is great though and hasn't had a flop in something like 9 years.
Have you checked out I am Legend. He is very good in that and it's well worth a watch.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmc
Just found it the most predictable film ever. I just sat there feeling sad for the whole movie except for the last scene. They should have renamed it In the Pursuit of 30 seconds of Happiness
Will Smith is great though and hasn't had a flop in something like 9 years.
Have you checked out I am Legend. He is very good in that and it's well worth a watch.
I know what you mean about Happiness it was a bit depressing throughout lots of it. I think the fact that is was a true story definitely gave it more clout. The scene when he's sleeping with his son in the bathroom of the train station was really sad but I found it inspiring that he had pulled himself out of that kind of lifestyle through sheer perserverance and determination, that's what made it for me.

Yep, seen I Am Legend, started off well, but kind of lulled midway and became a tad predictable I thought. Though I was not expecting the ending. Still worth a watch though.

What about the ending of No Country for Old Men? You worked it out yet, 'cos I haven't!!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I know what you mean about Happiness it was a bit depressing throughout lots of it. I think the fact that is was a true story definitely gave it more clout. The scene when he's sleeping with his son in the bathroom of the train station was really sad but I found it inspiring that he had pulled himself out of that kind of lifestyle through sheer perserverance and determination, that's what made it for me.

Yep, seen I Am Legend, started off well, but kind of lulled midway and became a tad predictable I thought. Though I was not expecting the ending. Still worth a watch though.

What about the ending of No Country for Old Men? You worked it out yet, 'cos I haven't!!!
That's the great thing about movies we can all have different experiences whilst viewing.
I really like I Am Legend but I do know a few people who got bored. I got totally dragged into his decline and love movies that you need to watch a few times to pick up on a few plot points. Not too subtle though as I find that defeatist. There is an alternate ending on the web that flips the whole meaning of the title on it's head and is more like the book (I haven't read it.)
No, I have not worked out the significance of the dream yet as I have only watched it once and did not expect it to end when it did. I need to go back when it's out on DVD which is soon I think. When I came out of the cinema at first thought it was a very honest view that in life good does not always overcome evil in some dramatic final act. Maybe this is a bit too simplistic but the whole feel of the movie was very realistic, long pauses, normal conversations between characters, (no characters with bright shinny white teeth) so I thought the ending did fit in well with the movie.
I have read it is true to the book which I will resist reading until I have watched it a few times.

Oh yeah, check out Lions for Lambs. Very good movie by one of the good guys in Hollywood Robert Redford.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:26 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
We have`nt sat and watched a dvd for ages, so last night we watched Kevin Costner in MR Brookes & I quite enjoyed it. It got me thinking though, what have others watched lately that they really enjoyed??
Watched a few this week...

In order of enjoyment.

1. The fastest Indian.
2. The Heartbreak Kid
3. SuperBad

Ste