Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Washing machine/solenoid

Wikiposts

Washing machine/solenoid

Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washing machine/solenoid

After about eight years sitting dormant in my inlaw's garage, we hooked up my wife's washing machine in our new (rental) home. Mechanically all work's fine but there's no hot water getting into the machine. There's no problems with the hoses going to the machine and after a slight boo-boo we do have the hoses the correct way around...

Mother in law recalls a similar problem with their own machine and has suggested a duff solenoid.

Any ideas/general advice on this one? I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver - is this something I could replace myself? I'm guessing a repair man is not going to be especially cheap, but it looks like I can get a solenoid myself for about $30 off t'internet.

Cheers
Old Mar 6th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machine/solenoid

I would say it is straight forward. If that is the problem, it is simply an electric tap, near where the water connects to the machine. I have done several w/m repairs (not that part), usually the hard part is getting the back/side/top off
If you can get the right part, its usually just unscrew and replace. Go for it.

Oh, before you buy the solenoid, it could just be the valve seized up. Try some de-scaler, or take it apart to see if the pipe is clear.

You could swap the hot & cold solenoids round, see i if you get hot water but no cold.

Last edited by RICH; Mar 6th 2013 at 12:01 pm. Reason: added thoughts
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Straight forward it was (as Yoda would say). New solenoid/valve $35. Easy to access, easy to fit. Washing done

Cheers
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

On the subject of washing machines, I have noticed recently that my machine is a bit pongy when I take out the washing, especially if I don't empty it straight away, and the washing smells a bit pongy as well, but it dries okay and smells fine. I think what is happening is its not draining away properly and the washing is soaking up any remaining water. It never used to do this. Any ideas what I can do, anybody??
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:20 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
After about eight years sitting dormant in my inlaw's garage, we hooked up my wife's washing machine in our new (rental) home. Mechanically all work's fine but there's no hot water getting into the machine. There's no problems with the hoses going to the machine and after a slight boo-boo we do have the hoses the correct way around...

Mother in law recalls a similar problem with their own machine and has suggested a duff solenoid.

Any ideas/general advice on this one? I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver - is this something I could replace myself? I'm guessing a repair man is not going to be especially cheap, but it looks like I can get a solenoid myself for about $30 off t'internet.

Cheers
http://stores.ebay.com.au/wash-fix09...id=p4340.l2563
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:22 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammax
On the subject of washing machines, I have noticed recently that my machine is a bit pongy when I take out the washing, especially if I don't empty it straight away, and the washing smells a bit pongy as well, but it dries okay and smells fine. I think what is happening is its not draining away properly and the washing is soaking up any remaining water. It never used to do this. Any ideas what I can do, anybody??
Is it a front loader? If so, check your filter is clear and that the outlet pipe is at the correct height. Before opening the filter, make sure you put a thick towel or shallow dish down as you will get water coming out (unless you are happy for your floor to get a soaking Do a maintenance wash. Soda crystals are great for this. Just out a cupful into the soap dispenser drawer and put it on the hottest wash. You may need to do this a few times to get rid of any lingering smells. It's always a good idea to do a maintenance wash every few weeks to keep the system clean.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rasen78
Is it a front loader? If so, check your filter is clear and that the outlet pipe is at the correct height. Before opening the filter, make sure you put a thick towel or shallow dish down as you will get water coming out (unless you are happy for your floor to get a soaking Do a maintenance wash. Soda crystals are great for this. Just out a cupful into the soap dispenser drawer and put it on the hottest wash. You may need to do this a few times to get rid of any lingering smells. It's always a good idea to do a maintenance wash every few weeks to keep the system clean.
Hi, thanks for that. It is a front loader but there is nothing at the front of the machine so I don't know where the filter is or how I can access it.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:48 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for that. It is a front loader but there is nothing at the front of the machine so I don't know where the filter is or how I can access it.
Post the model number and I'll (we'll) have a look.

I fixed ours 4 times, and it's on it's last warning ... Solenoids, Gasket and an entire electronic front panel.

Oh yeh, and the handle on the door decided to hold the washing to ransom one day.

These guys seem competitive and reliable btw:
http://http://www.bigwarehouse.com.au/

Last edited by DeadVim; Mar 10th 2013 at 7:50 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:12 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the bottom. There may be a panel that drops down/lifts up and behind that will be the filter (usually towards the right). They can be very stiff, but most of the plugs have a slot that you can put something in to give you some purchase. Chances are, if the filter has never been emptied/cleaned, that is what is causing the smell so be aware, it may be pretty gross inside