Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

warning!!!!crazy birds.

warning!!!!crazy birds.

Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:48 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default warning!!!!crazy birds.

hi all,for all you ,like me out there who didnt know that the birds here attack you.
I wish someone warned me about this,I was walking my dog the other day and a magpie was flying at my head,swooping down and flying at my head,i couldnt understand it and got such a fright,nearly got knocked down,running across the road to get away from it.
It must have looked so funny to the drivers driving by,i ran away then wondered if i was in a hitchcock film and what just happened,then a lady,who I made walk me home,told me that just now is breading season,they will attack you to keep you away from their babies in their nests and apparently you should walk with a stick.
Since then everyone has told me horror stories of them having to get stitches in their head etc because of these magpies,so for all you dog walkers out there,im just warning you,ha ha

Julie
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:27 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warning!!!!crazy birds.

Originally Posted by brido
hi all,for all you ,like me out there who didnt know that the birds here attack you.
I wish someone warned me about this,I was walking my dog the other day and a magpie was flying at my head,swooping down and flying at my head,i couldnt understand it and got such a fright,nearly got knocked down,running across the road to get away from it.
It must have looked so funny to the drivers driving by,i ran away then wondered if i was in a hitchcock film and what just happened,then a lady,who I made walk me home,told me that just now is breading season,they will attack you to keep you away from their babies in their nests and apparently you should walk with a stick.
Since then everyone has told me horror stories of them having to get stitches in their head etc because of these magpies,so for all you dog walkers out there,im just warning you,ha ha

Julie
Sorry Julie but that's quite funny. If it were me, I'd take the dog for a walk with a tennis racquet. One swoop from Mrs Magpie and I'd lob it back up it's tree.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:17 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

They are bad for cyclists too - my son was wearing his helmet but the magpie still managed to peck and draw blood just under his eyebrow! If we go on the bikes again they will have to wear sunglasses - just walking I haven't had a problem but it might be the dog.

The other birds to watch out for are Pulvers - they lay eggs on the ground and apparently have spurs on their wings and dive at you - at the kids school there is a nest and they have to keep away from that play area until nesting is over.

Saw a postie the other day getting badly attacked by a magpie - he had a parrot on his handlebars - didn't help though - strange sight!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

That's why you see some folk riding along with antennae stuck out of their bike helmets. They will generally stop swooping early - mid November-ish but you never can tell, some of them keep on going beyond the time they are expected to. They seem to like bus stops around here - people standing at them, not the bus stop in particular!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Julie
One of the girls in my daughters class last year had her dangly earring pulled out by a magpie swooping, made a right mess of her ear.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Magpie breeding season.

Every year I get swooped by at least one thanks to running and cycling.

The local supermarket had some nesting in the middle of the car park last year. They had to lay a barrier around the nest and have an "exclusion zone".

Only the other day I was following a postie on his bike. A magpie must have followed him for about 2km sitting the slipstream behind him and just attacking his helmet. I dont think he noticed much but it was having a right go and we were in stitches behind him.

They are nasty this time of year and you should indeed watch out. They can make a nasty job of your head and they always seem to aim at the back of your head from behind.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Julie

Lmao, your the craziest burd I know!!! , same thing happened to Jim last week when I dropped him at work a magpie kept swooping at him to protect it's nest, it was so funny to watch but I was just glad to be inside the car as he couldn't get away from it fast enough. He did say that all the burds flock to him !!! hope little kman wasn't left with nightmares!

Lisa x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

We had a topic on this before and I posted that one way to deter them is to wear your sunglasses on the top of your hat , some people even paint eyes on , because if the maggies think you are looking at them, then they tend to leave you alone. A few posters thought I was taking the mickey

Julie, another scary thought is that the magpie who swooped you will remember you for the rest of its life and every time you go near it when it is nesting, it will swoop you
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:48 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Lmao, your the craziest burd I know!!! , same thing happened to Jim last week when I dropped him at work a magpie kept swooping at him to protect it's nest, it was so funny to watch but I was just glad to be inside the car as he couldn't get away from it fast enough. He did say that all the burds flock to him !!! hope little kman wasn't left with nightmares!

Lisa x
hi lisa,im lafing out loud here,i can just picture jim runnin away from the bird,ha ha,however,its no lafin matter,im shitin myself wen i go out walks now,ha ha,as for kramer,i put his jumper on him that says killer and he feels safe as it makes him look hard and they stay away,ha ha.how was ur wkend?the night out was good at the grand,been looking at houses today,prices shockin:curse:

jules x
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

hi lisa,im lafing out loud here,i can just picture jim runnin away from the bird,ha ha,however,its no lafin matter,im shitin myself wen i go out walks now,ha ha,as for kramer,i put his jumper on him that says killer and he feels safe as it makes him look hard and they stay away,ha ha.how was ur wkend?the night out was good at the grand,been looking at houses today,prices shockin:curse:

jules x
Sent you a pm x
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:21 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I was mowing the front lawn recently and I heard a gush of wind to my left. It WAS quite breezy at the time, but this was def something else but I didn't see anything so went about my business.

About 10 mins later by chance I looked up at the neighbours roof and a magpie had left the roof and heading my way! ...

I did the ole wave arm around like madman and it flew off, but made me think about the earlier noise, it musta been a Maggie swoop! ...

An Aussie I know who is always winding me up said they do it cos your head to them looks like a birds nest! ... daft bugger! ...
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:25 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

This was a massive problem when I was at school and it was recommended, and we did it, to wear an icecream container on your head with a face drawn on the top and at the back - it worked.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:37 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Julie
Know what you mean mate.

My nipper was attacked by a magpie (drew blood from his head).

And there are some funny looking birds (with little red saddle bags hanging off their chops) who have been swooping my hound all weekend.