Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - 15 minutes of my life gone

Wikiposts

Wanted Down Under - 15 minutes of my life gone

Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

rich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nice
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - 15 minutes of my life gone

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bear in mind that the programme is very heavily edited to get something that will appeal to viewers. Posters that have appeared in this type of programme have commented in the past about how the editing is all slanted towards making them fit a certain mould, when in fact in reality the family are rather different - and their experience of Aus is often rather different from that portrayed as well.
Fair point...you can make anything look bad if it is taken out of context or look good for that matter!! I will change my tune to its the editors of that program that annoy me!! (and some of the people) But it is always a good way to get that little Aussie fix in the morning when its pissing it down outside in sunny Scotland.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rich.mason
Will defo let you know how we get on in the Gold Coast!!

Heading over there is me, the wife and our little baby for a look around, but the dog will join us as well when we finally emigrate!! Would prefer not to have to make this trip but wouldnt be able to get finances in place before we need to enter...so dropping by for a visit first!!

You got family going over as well??

It will be just me and my partner ( wife by that time ), We would be looking to start a family once we are over and settled and also be bringing 2 dogs.

So im in quite a similar position to you, so make sure you come back on here to let me know how you get on. Have you had prices for taking your dog out yet?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich.mason
Fair point...you can make anything look bad if it is taken out of context or look good for that matter!! I will change my tune to its the editors of that program that annoy me!! (and some of the people) But it is always a good way to get that little Aussie fix in the morning when its pissing it down outside in sunny Scotland.
I know what you mean, I used to watch all those programmes to get my "fix"too. If you do a search through the forum you'll find we've had a lot of posters over the years who've appeared in these programmes, and some of their comments make good reading, especially about the way the filming is biased in particular directions!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Bear in mind that the programme is very heavily edited to get something that will appeal to viewers. Posters that have appeared in this type of programme have commented in the past about how the editing is all slanted towards making them fit a certain mould, when in fact in reality the family are rather different - and their experience of Aus is often rather different from that portrayed as well.
No matter how much its edited you cant edit IN some of the rubbish people say on that program, not all the familys but most of them.

You cant edit in people saying,

I thought the wage would be better than double the UK

Wanting a house three times the size, with swimming pool for half UK price

Work less but get paid 2-3 times more

Talk about missing the family when getting off the plane in australia

Then cry over them when your going back the next day
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

rich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nice

Originally Posted by FPE88
It will be just me and my partner ( wife by that time ), We would be looking to start a family once we are over and settled and also be bringing 2 dogs.

So im in quite a similar position to you, so make sure you come back on here to let me know how you get on. Have you had prices for taking your dog out yet?
Dont worry I will be back!! We did get quotes a while back when we went to a Emigrate show but for the life of me I cant remember, however we will be getting a quote again soon so I will let you know how much. I do know that some of it goes by the size of the dog, bigger the crate and all that!

Where abouts in the UK are you?

PS Sorry to DeadVim for going a wee bit off topic!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No matter how much its edited you cant edit IN some of the rubbish people say on that program, not all the familys but most of them.

Very true, I agree, but we've heard on here in the past that some comments at least are taken out of context. I vaguely remember one with something like one of the kids was being portarayed as a real whinger, turned out they had removed any good comments about the visit cos they wanted the kiddie to appear as a whinger ruining the family planes.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Very true, I agree, but we've heard on here in the past that some comments at least are taken out of context. I vaguely remember one with something like one of the kids was being portarayed as a real whinger, turned out they had removed any good comments about the visit cos they wanted the kiddie to appear as a whinger ruining the family planes.
Shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story!!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:13 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

No, you can't edit in those comments - but any good producer/production assistant (or even presenter) can lead someone around to commenting on those issues. 'What would be your ideal situation?' 'In an ideal world, what sort of salary would you want?' 'Imagine you've just left your family for good on the other side of the world' would be good starting points - then they just edit out any bits they don't want.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:14 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
No, but I gave myself a damn good thrashing.

Poor choice of words maybe ...
Did you thrash yourself like a pre-op?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:44 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

What a blow to your street-cred,searching the streets in an intrepid manner - for cake-making equipment
I just wanted cup cake holders but the dealers were trying to push muffin cases, it's a slippery slope.

In the end a shady transaction at Bi-Lo was completed and classmates will get their share of the gear.

What is more surprising is I drove straight past First Choice

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Did you thrash yourself like a pre-op?
Something like that
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:56 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

What is more surprising is I drove straight past First Choice

That is odd behaviour. Hope you've made an appointment for the doctor.

That reminds me....courier mail has the "specials" ads in today's edition... let me see if I can grab it....
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:05 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Bit confused... I thought that the Courier mail usually has full page ads for booze on fridays ??? not today.

Just had a quick look on the web for specials. Bear in mind I'm only looking at beer. Here's my pick of the special offers, if anyone is interested....

Liquorland - no bargains
Dan Murphy's - no bargains
1st Choice - James squire golden ale - carton for $47.50. VB x 30cans, $39.90.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Bit confused... I thought that the Courier mail usually has full page ads for booze on fridays ??? not today.

Just had a quick look on the web for specials. Bear in mind I'm only looking at beer. Here's my pick of the special offers, if anyone is interested....

Liquorland - no bargains
Dan Murphy's - no bargains
1st Choice - James squire golden ale - carton for $47.50. VB x 30cans, $39.90.
Golden Ale, I think I'll have some of that ... Going on a big booze run tomorrow so I might grab some of that

Reminds me, must get the bar fridge running.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:41 pm
Mostly Harmless

I am now watching Escape To The Country ... Escape With A ***t more like ... B'stards ... Once again lots of ummming and ahhhing and no decision, no fight, no divorce ... Hateful people ...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I am now watching Escape To The Country ... Escape With A ***t more like ... B'stards ... Once again lots of ummming and ahhhing and no decision, no fight, no divorce ... Hateful people ...
You should stop by my house. "What Do You Want For Dinner?" becomes like one of these shows only with the ***ts, b'stards, fights, threats of divorce and comes complete with hateful people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.