Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - 15 minutes of my life gone

Wikiposts

Wanted Down Under - 15 minutes of my life gone

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:53 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - 15 minutes of my life gone

Originally Posted by Pomster
If you see another one on TV, rest assured it will be the same show- possibly with different people, possibly a different destination, but with the same words and trite crap spouted by the presenter in the vague hope of making it a 'cliffhanger' moment.
Cliffhanger, exactly, the bloke in this one said that it would be all over if the vulva of his choice said no ... at the end, what? Nothing! No messy split, no fights, no blood ... is this entertainment I ask you?!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:59 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Round the bend I think. However, to DV, rural rocks!
'kin right it does!

Get yerself some horses in yer yard and some ducks wandering through, it's good for the soul

Too time-consuming for a TV programme to investigate I'd imagine ...
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Cliffhanger, exactly, the bloke in this one said that it would be all over if the vulva of his choice said no ... at the end, what? Nothing! No messy split, no fights, no blood ... is this entertainment I ask you?!
Hey I agree.

It would be so much more exciting, if one of them said :"Stuff you, I'm off, I have always hated your mother/friend/dog, this is a great excuse"
and maybe the kids could divorce the parents?

Now that would be compulsive viewing.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Seen some interesting update ones, well they wouldn't show uninteresting ones, one where the man was very keen, she wasn't, had 16 yr old son and 11 year ols daughter, eventually with some persuasion from hubby they decided to move to Oz. Update about 3 yrs later showed they had moved, without son, who had stayed behind because his gf was pregnant, Hubby had returned to UK to supervise the house sale while she got a job and found place to live. Hubby never made the move, son moved back in with him, and mother and daughter were really enjoying their life in Oz, she had made a lot of friends whjo had helped her over the split.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:04 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Pomster
Hey I agree.

It would be so much more exciting, if one of them said :"Stuff you, I'm off, I have always hated your mother/friend/dog, this is a great excuse"
and maybe the kids could divorce the parents?

Now that would be compulsive viewing.
An affair or two would be handy as well.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Seen some interesting update ones, well they wouldn't show uninteresting ones, one where the man was very keen, she wasn't, had 16 yr old son and 11 year ols daughter, eventually with some persuasion from hubby they decided to move to Oz. Update about 3 yrs later showed they had moved, without son, who had stayed behind because his gf was pregnant, Hubby had returned to UK to supervise the house sale while she got a job and found place to live. Hubby never made the move, son moved back in with him, and mother and daughter were really enjoying their life in Oz, she had made a lot of friends whjo had helped her over the split.
Now that's more like it, a slice of real life!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Vulva of his choice.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:28 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Vulva of his choice.
The self-censoring is weak late in the day, I'm quite pleased I left that in, you should see the stuff I delete
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
currently in uk, you cant help but watch it, car crash tv.

take family who are super close to their huge fantastic extended family, wind up the kids in every episode, give them have a nice day at themepark, then a vote

show people property they cant afford, then australia comes out more affordable erm 50k wage and almost two thirds after tax on mortage alone, but its more affordable??? nope sorry you would be broke.

some of the destinations are funny pacific pines again.... ipswich, darwin, and you never get to see them in mid summer, so the weathers always fab, yeah wait till summer mate

and shorter hours, everyone looks so shocked when they discover the working week is as bad/worse than uk, love the episode where it rains though and someone says we didnt expect that right back on the plane its raining
Talking to my dad on skype last night & he'd just watched an episode, we drew exactly the same conclusions. If they picked normal families with normal expectations it wouldn't make good T.V. Without wishing to sound derogatory to the ones that have moved via the show the more boring ones seem to have faired far better than the explosive personalities
The self-censoring is weak late in the day, I'm quite pleased I left that in, you should see the stuff I delete
That's nothing mate you should see some of the stuff I delete, make a Ocker blush sometimes & then there's other peoples OTT stuff
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Im currently looking to move to OZ so anything with australia on it interests me big time, but this program gets on my tits.

The majority of people who go on there are so delusional or just plain stupid its unreal!

Now when deciding if you want to emigrate the first thing you know is your leaving family behind so you just have to deal with that there is no way around it, you decide before you make a trip half way round the ******* world whether your willing to do that or not!

People expect to go out there, buy a house triple the size of their own, with a swimming pool, walking wardrobes and right next to the beach for half of the worth of their house in the UK!

Also expecting to earn triple the salary and work less hours is the norm for these people, do some ******* research before you go it wont be such a waste of your time or 45mins of my life I will never get back!

Still cant drag myself away from it though just wish some other familys who are really thinking of emigrating got the week instead, Phil down under on the other hand is a very good watch.

Rant over!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:19 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by FPE88
Im currently looking to move to OZ so anything with australia on it interests me big time, but this program gets on my tits.

The majority of people who go on there are so delusional or just plain stupid its unreal!

Now when deciding if you want to emigrate the first thing you know is your leaving family behind so you just have to deal with that there is no way around it, you decide before you make a trip half way round the ******* world whether your willing to do that or not!

People expect to go out there, buy a house triple the size of their own, with a swimming pool, walking wardrobes and right next to the beach for half of the worth of their house in the UK!

Also expecting to earn triple the salary and work less hours is the norm for these people, do some ******* research before you go it wont be such a waste of your time or 45mins of my life I will never get back!

Still cant drag myself away from it though just wish some other familys who are really thinking of emigrating got the week instead, Phil down under on the other hand is a very good watch.

Rant over!
Well said, the walking wardrobes are a particularly unreasonable expectation!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I remember wathcing a funny one, stay at home mum and hubby...moving for all the usual reasons, 'work/life balance' etc.

It was all 'oooooh isn't it terrible here in the UK we live to work' blah blah.

THEN, they arrived in Sydney and saw the price of houses. Suddenly she was thinking of all sorts of ways hubby could do more work on the side, work weekends etc! Poor guy! I think he voted no and she voted yes.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
I remember wathcing a funny one, stay at home mum and hubby...moving for all the usual reasons, 'work/life balance' etc.

It was all 'oooooh isn't it terrible here in the UK we live to work' blah blah.

THEN, they arrived in Sydney and saw the price of houses. Suddenly she was thinking of all sorts of ways hubby could do more work on the side, work weekends etc! Poor guy! I think he voted no and she voted yes.
Im sure I watched that one just trying to remember which one it was.

I used to worry that when I do get to Australia it wont meet my expectations but I think after seeing these people I will do ok.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:39 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Did you scrub your eyeballs with bleach afterwards?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:41 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over!
You may decide that leaving family behind is forgone & dealt with prior to getting on the plane. Nothing can prepare you for the helplessness you'll feel when you get "THAT" heartbreaking phone call at 3am to say someone you love has just a few hours to live or worse Nothing will prepare you for dealing with the homesickness if just one of the family can't settle either
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Did you scrub your eyeballs with bleach afterwards?
No, but I gave myself a damn good thrashing.

Poor choice of words maybe ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.