Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Waah, I don't wanna go

Waah, I don't wanna go

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waah, I don't wanna go

must......resist......urge......to......respond... ...must.......

I'm in enough trouble already

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 3rd 2013 at 4:22 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:21 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
must......resist......urge......to......respond... ....must.......

I'm in enough trouble already
I'm impressed, Amazulu.

Seriously.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:18 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! VinoVeritas, update us, have you decided to move to this 'bland country' or wot?

Don't just ask the masses then ]{}# off, I know 5 posts in a year is a lot of effort but give us some feedback so we can all sleep sound
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

You've been counting my posts! You love me, you really love me!

I did my best not to come across as whiny and whingy, without much success I think - the email looks pretty bad to me as well now.

Good points about not following her everywhere - she does asume that we will be going as well, and seems genuine! May be just a really good actress though.

I guess it's me being selfish - I want to be where my family is, and that currently comprises me (English), wife (South African), daughter (Citizen of the World), son-in-law (South African) and Grand-daughter (You work it out). We're all currently UK citizens.

Wife and daughter were happy in Briz, son-in-law would rather go to Cape Town, as would I, but daughter is worried about the violence. It's all a bit of a mix-up really, and maybe not so uncommon these days, as Wanted Down Under shows.

I guess it boils down to - assuming I go with them (and assuming they do actually go) - how do you combat homesickness? I know Aus has a history and I wouldn't seriously denigrate it - British history is pretty recent compared to Roman, Greek, Egyptian really, so we've no reason to feel smug.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:19 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You married a saffer.go to Perth as penance
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas
British history is pretty recent compared to Roman, Greek, Egyptian really, so we've no reason to feel smug.
Well that's a huge amount of pre-Celtic inhabitants of Britain wiped from archaeological findings.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it boils down to - assuming I go with them (and assuming they do actually go) - how do you combat homesickness? I know Aus has a history and I wouldn't seriously denigrate it - British history is pretty recent compared to Roman, Greek, Egyptian really, so we've no reason to feel smug.
I've been in Aus for four months with my wife (Aussie) and now 1yo son (a Braussie!). Perhaps I haven't been here long enough to get homesick, and have been pretty busy as daddydaycare, but I have found that regular use of Skype has been invaluable. Also getting a VPN connection (something you do to your computer to make it look like it is in the UK) so that I can watch stuff like Match of the Day and other stuff on iPlayer, has been great.

Also I personally find that if I keep my mindset straight, that helps too. Yes of course I miss home from time to time - taking son to see his gran, Friday post-work pint with my step-dad, that kind of stuff - but I made a choice to move and so I focus on the positives of the move, whilst reminding my parents on a weekly basis that they WILL be coming to visit! And nagging my mum to quit smoking as the money she spends on that filthy sh!t is enough to pay for two flights!!

Oh, and of course not forgetting copious quantities of beer to blur out the current form of the Arsenal, that helps too I really miss UK proper beer, but I'm enjoying making my way around the Aussie efforts and their small measures. When our boxes arrived from the UK literally the first thing I unpacked was a pair of pint glasses! It makes those small bottles more acceptable
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Laxor will become famous soon enough

We spent 7 years in Briz in the 90s, which I didn't enjoy, because of the far-awayness of England, the far-awayness of even the next town, the pommy-bashing, the blandness of the country and the lack of 'real' history.

Now our duaghter wants to go back with her husband and daughter, so obviously we'll go as well, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Yes, I know I should just Harden the F-- Up, stop whingeing, etc, but is anyone out there in the same situation? I got pretty homesick and resentful which is no fun for me or more importantly my family - how do you cope if you're a sensitive soul like what I am, with a love of history and green countryside and pubs?

I like Australians and got on fine socially, by the way (I know, hard to believe), so it wasn't a general dislike of the locals.
Which specific part is bland. The beaches, Snow fields, rain forest, desert, first world cities? Insult the country then complain about pommy bashing. Oh lordy.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:14 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say stay, it won't be any different the second time around....do the holiday thing
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

How to cope with homesickness? Go home (or in your case, don't leave!). If it didn't float your boat the last time, chances are it will be worse the next time around.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

OK, good stuff, thanks for the replies, even the rude ones! Skyping is good and the internet's a lot more advanced than when we were last there, although I don't want to hide in an imginary world.
Thinking about it, I guess the thing is to make friends, be involved, keep in touch and enjoy the beer and wine. Just like anywhere else really.
Cheers.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about

What are you going to do if your daughter changes her mind again after a few years. I live in rural NSW with my hubby. Oldest daughter is here, other two are int he UK with their dad (all adults). One is jetting off to Canada with his girlfriend to live in 2014.
Lots of good holiday opportunities Skype is a godsend
Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are making a huge mistake moving because your daughter is moving - honestly, you cant move around the world with her, you just cant.

Why not just stay where you are - are you going to apply for a visa to wherever she may move to, really?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

You are obviously one of those mentally disturbed clingy parents who obsess over their children even though they may be 50.

You need to grow up and let go!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
You are obviously one of those mentally disturbed clingy parents who obsess over their children even though they may be 50.

You need to grow up and let go!
What, like My Grey Nomads?

Hang on... No, not like mine... I'm onlynin my forties.... PHEW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.