British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Waah, I don't wanna go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/waah-i-dont-wanna-go-782209/)

VinoVeritas Jan 2nd 2013 1:13 pm

Waah, I don't wanna go

We spent 7 years in Briz in the 90s, which I didn't enjoy, because of the far-awayness of England, the far-awayness of even the next town, the pommy-bashing, the blandness of the country and the lack of 'real' history.

Now our duaghter wants to go back with her husband and daughter, so obviously we'll go as well, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Yes, I know I should just Harden the F-- Up, stop whingeing, etc, but is anyone out there in the same situation? I got pretty homesick and resentful which is no fun for me or more importantly my family - how do you cope if you're a sensitive soul like what I am, with a love of history and green countryside and pubs?

I like Australians and got on fine socially, by the way (I know, hard to believe), so it wasn't a general dislike of the locals.

DeadVim Jan 2nd 2013 1:18 pm

Re: Waah, I don't wanna go

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas (Post 10459786)
We spent 7 years in Briz in the 90s, which I didn't enjoy, because of the far-awayness of England, the far-awayness of even the next town, the pommy-bashing, the blandness of the country and the lack of 'real' history.

Now our duaghter wants to go back with her husband and daughter, so obviously we'll go as well, but I'm really not looking forward to it. Yes, I know I should just Harden the F-- Up, stop whingeing, etc, but is anyone out there in the same situation? I got pretty homesick and resentful which is no fun for me or more importantly my family - how do you cope if you're a sensitive soul like what I am, with a love of history and green countryside and pubs?

I like Australians and got on fine socially, by the way (I know, hard to believe), so it wasn't a general dislike of the locals.

Why do you 'obviously' want to go?

It would seem obvious to me that you should:
1) Stay where you are
2) See 1)

bobbyftm Jan 2nd 2013 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 10459790)
Why do you 'obviously' want to go?

It would seem obvious to me that you should:
1) Stay where you are
2) See 1)

Very pleased to see someone else sees the logical solution as well ;)

Bermudashorts Jan 2nd 2013 7:41 pm

As above. I am baffled as to why you "obviously" have to go just because your daughter is. If you don't want to go, then don't go, you will only make yourself unhappy. Holidays is the way forward for you.

quoll Jan 2nd 2013 9:31 pm

You don't have to chase your kids around the world! If you don't want to go, don't go. You can have an occasional holiday and they can do the same. Having kids on the other side of the world is perfectly do-able! And you never know, what if they decide to move somewhere else in a few years time, would you up sticks and trot after them again? Nah, you like UK, then stay!

knockoff nige Jan 2nd 2013 10:05 pm

It's not the first time I've seen the comment that Australia doesn't have any real history. As if everything before we got off the plane was merely a fairy tale. Australia has a fascinating history, like any country. Plenty to learn about.

eddie007 Jan 3rd 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by knockoff nige (Post 10460707)
It's not the first time I've seen the comment that Australia doesn't have any real history. As if everything before we got off the plane was merely a fairy tale. Australia has a fascinating history, like any country. Plenty to learn about.

I think a lotnof immigrants don't appreciate Australian history because it's...well so foreign.... We haven't grown up with it, we arent part of it, didnt contribute to it and we don't understand it... Therefore "we" disparage and dismiss it.

Sherlock Holmes Jan 3rd 2013 12:53 am

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas (Post 10459786)

Like other posters, for the life of me, I can't see why you feel the need to go as well. Your daughter is married, he/they have a daughter. Is she not independent enough to go?

I hate to verge on being rude but have you considered that your daughter may not want to be accompanied in this way?

Nip down the pub and have a couple and a bit of a think.

scot47 Jan 3rd 2013 1:03 am

I can't see why you have to follow your daughter either.

Cheetah7 Jan 3rd 2013 1:15 am

So if you follow your daughter and go, what if in say 3 years time she wants to move somewhere else - another country, any country other than the UK? Are you telling me you are going to follow them around the world wherever they go?

Because if so, have a think about it - your need to be with her is fine but to the extent you are prepared to follow her anywhere around the world is worrying, because she is choosing to move for her own adventure, to spread her own wings which she cant do properly if she has her parents following her everywhere.

Why not stick with a solid home base in the UK that she knows she can come back to because a moving 'anchor' means you wont settle anywhere and she wont have that home base that many adult kids like to come back to.

Dorothy Jan 3rd 2013 3:33 am

OMG! I never realised we're supposed to follow our adult children around the world. Holy crap...Now I'm going to have to clone myself. Really, otherwise how will I be able to live close to both my kids here and the one in North America? :ohmy:

eddie007 Jan 3rd 2013 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10461049)
OMG! I never realised we're supposed to follow our adult children around the world. Holy crap...Now I'm going to have to clone myself. Really, otherwise how will I be able to live close to both my kids here and the one in North America? :ohmy:

A diagnosis of a split personality disorder may help you here Dotty....

brissybee Jan 3rd 2013 3:41 am

[QUOTE=Cheetah7;10460934]So if you follow your daughter and go, what if in say 3 years time she wants to move somewhere else - another country, any country other than the UK? Are you telling me you are going to follow them around the world wherever they go?

Because if so, have a think about it - your need to be with her is fine but to the extent you are prepared to follow her anywhere around the world is worrying, because she is choosing to move for her own adventure, to spread her own wings which she cant do properly if she has her parents following her everywhere.

Why not stick with a solid home base in the UK that she knows she can come back to because a moving 'anchor' means you wont settle anywhere and she wont have that home base that many adult kids like to come back to.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Stay happy where you are and give your daughter somewhere to come back to.

If you don't believe she would be better off in Brisbane, don't enable her.

Dorothy Jan 3rd 2013 3:46 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10461052)
A diagnosis of a split personality disorder may help you here Dotty....

That's what the voices in my head said as well. :D

eddie007 Jan 3rd 2013 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10461058)
That's what the voices in my head said as well. :D

At least God has stopped sending you coded messages via the television...