Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WA Day Light Saving - Thumbs Down

WA Day Light Saving - Thumbs Down

Old May 18th 2009, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Day Light Saving - Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by spilko
As all the votes haven't been counted yet your numbers don't mean a lot. Intreresting stats though.

The result is summed up by the fact that the "nice" folk of Gosnells/Armadale voted No and those in Cockburn/South Perth/Ocean Reef etc voted Yes.

Have you been to Armadale/Gosnells recently? My description is pretty accurate.
It would appear that the affluent areas(educated) and areas with a heavy UK felt presence(grew up with summer time)voted in the affirmative,while the poorer burbs and the entire country side including larger towns voted in the negative.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Could that be different degrees of boring, perhaps?
No they are different take a visit there and see for yourself,
Old May 18th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

stalybridge will become famous soon enoughstalybridge will become famous soon enough

I went to Adelaide in January and was fascinated walking around Glenelg at 9 pm there were familes on the beach having a good time and wtching the sunset.

It made me realise how boring it is going dark early here in Brisbane in summer, I love DS, I,d even go two hours forward not just one.

I mean yes, you can have a barbie at dusk (7pm) but the bloody mozzies are after you

Last edited by stalybridge; May 18th 2009 at 9:56 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i think the funniest thing i heard about ds was said last time the ref was on

you should vote no as the cows wont like it - and it will make the milk go off !!!

or

the extra hour will make my curtains fade

i am really sad that it was a no vote as i loved the fact we could go out and have fish and chips on the beach at night- that mr h came home and he had a few hrs to play with the kids in the garden

wa do not like change
Old May 19th 2009, 2:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
wa do not like change
Or doesn't see the need for change.

People of WA and QLD have gone about their lives, working, playing, living with the sun coming up early and going down early since there were settlers in Aus. Have parents never played with their kids in the dark? Do barbies not happen in the dark? Some ideas are an improvement on how things were done in the past. Other things are changes for changes sake. It doesn't matter.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stalybridge
I went to Adelaide in January and was fascinated walking around Glenelg at 9 pm there were familes on the beach having a good time and wtching the sunset.

It made me realise how boring it is going dark early here in Brisbane in summer, I love DS, I,d even go two hours forward not just one.

I mean yes, you can have a barbie at dusk (7pm) but the bloody mozzies are after you
I was in Glenelg last summer also and yes there was quite a buzz.We here in Perth and you in Brisbane are condemed to comply with the wishes of the stay indoors, tv viewing air conditioned cocooned majority.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:06 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Glenelg last summer also and yes there was quite a buzz.We here in Perth and you in Brisbane are condemed to comply with the wishes of the stay indoors, tv viewing air conditioned cocooned majority.
Problem is that people fear change, and you hav o overcome that. If they'd been going the other way, voting for abolishing daylight saving the percentage voting no would have been the same. Essentially the public shouldn't be asked about something until they've experienced both optons.

What you have to do is show people the change before you let them vote on it. Anyone who's ever tried to introduce reform in even a small business or club knows this.

If Queensland are going to have another vote they need to run a couple of years with daylight saving and then vote.

Luckily i don't rely on everyone else being awake. I can come in at 7am and leave at 3pm. 3.5 hours of daylight after work is a huge difference to just 1.5 hours.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Burbage
Problem is that people fear change, and you hav o overcome that. If they'd been going the other way, voting for abolishing daylight saving the percentage voting no would have been the same. Essentially the public shouldn't be asked about something until they've experienced both optons.

What you have to do is show people the change before you let them vote on it. Anyone who's ever tried to introduce reform in even a small business or club knows this.

If Queensland are going to have another vote they need to run a couple of years with daylight saving and then vote.

Luckily i don't rely on everyone else being awake. I can come in at 7am and leave at 3pm. 3.5 hours of daylight after work is a huge difference to just 1.5 hours.
Yes but here in WA we had a three year trial and it was rejected by a larger majority than in all the previous votes.
A friend of mine,well educated ,cosmopolitan and Australian told me he voted no purely because of the business push in favour of the yes vote.
Here it been tried and it is done and dusted and i cannot see how any government can take it to the people again at least for the next twenty years.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:35 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but here in WA we had a three year trial and it was rejected by a larger majority than in all the previous votes.
A friend of mine,well educated ,cosmopolitan and Australian told me he voted no purely because of the business push in favour of the yes vote.
Here it been tried and it is done and dusted and i cannot see how any government can take it to the people again at least for the next twenty years.
They don't need daylight saving, in fact, they need to start the day earlier.

The same applies in North Queensland. It gets light at 6am and dark at 6.30. Most people work 9-5. This just ruins the day. Not enough daylight at either end of the working day to do anything outside. But if everyone started work at 6am there'd be no need for daylight saving.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mumfords
Well my hubby had to vote in this, waste of time there are more important things going on,

What a waste millons of $$$$$$$$$$ on a vote that was allways going to be a no.........WA dont like change
yes complete waste of money because WA governments are not willing to decide therefore a referedum is the simple way out to make sure that they get voted in next time. It is a joke.

The other morning, a migrant who owns a kiosk at one of the train stations ask two young girls how they gonna vote. Both said "no" because they like go out when it is dark on Saturday nights. With daylight saving, the night is shorter
Old May 19th 2009, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

If it wasn't for the regional WA voters the yes vote would have sailed through.

I think the Perth metro split was something ridiculous like 60% yes & 40% no ...

These farmers & hicks have a lot to answer for ...

Mind you, they don't have much call for a sundowner or fish & chips overlooking the river or ocean where they live ...

The NO campaign didn't have a solid argument going for it at all. The consensus seemed to be "We're the only state that doesn't have it and we'll keep it that way 'cos that's how it's always been so there ..."

To be honest I couldn't give a shiney shite.