Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Vote on electoral change UK

Vote on electoral change UK

Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:26 am
  #1  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,188
iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vote on electoral change UK

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=6913360

Good, bad, indifferent, don't give a stuff?

While my interest in UK politics is behind me, a change in the voting system was certainly something I used to be in favour of.
iamthecreaturefromuranus is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:53 am
  #2  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,976
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

I think AV will be a huge benefit to Labour - I've always thought the majority of LD voters would have Labour as their second choice. Maybe it was a secret LibLab plan all along!
bcworld is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:17 am
  #3  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,188
iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
I think AV will be a huge benefit to Labour - I've always thought the majority of LD voters would have Labour as their second choice. Maybe it was a secret LibLab plan all along!
How about it being a boost for the minor parties? Greens, BNP, etc
iamthecreaturefromuranus is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:39 am
  #4  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,976
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
How about it being a boost for the minor parties? Greens, BNP, etc
Alternative voting doesn't do anything for minor parties though...their preferences end up getting divvied up among the major parties. PR on the other hand, is probably what the LibDems really wanted (but compromised) and would be very different.
bcworld is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:01 am
  #5  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,734
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Alternative voting doesn't do anything for minor parties though...their preferences end up getting divvied up among the major parties. PR on the other hand, is probably what the LibDems really wanted (but compromised) and would be very different.

Hmmm. This is a tricky one. Though FPP is generally regarded as unfair, it also doesn't generate ridiculous coalitions of many minor parties that result in general governmental paralysis, as seen often in Europe, and very recently in the Netherlands.

Though we have a coalition govt in the UK now, it [outwardly] appears much more stable than its counterparts across the rest of Europe.

I'm not a fan of shaky coalitions I must admit. There must be a middle ground system that is more fair, but also still generates a stable and non paralysed government?

The BBC did an excellent article on the differences between the various systems. I will try and find it...


S
Swerv-o is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:14 am
  #6  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,188
iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Hmmm. This is a tricky one. Though FPP is generally regarded as unfair, it also doesn't generate ridiculous coalitions of many minor parties that result in general governmental paralysis, as seen often in Europe, and very recently in the Netherlands.

Though we have a coalition govt in the UK now, it [outwardly] appears much more stable than its counterparts across the rest of Europe.

I'm not a fan of shaky coalitions I must admit. There must be a middle ground system that is more fair, but also still generates a stable and non paralysed government?

The BBC did an excellent article on the differences between the various systems. I will try and find it...


S
I would agree with you as well.. while the current UK system is blantantly unfair it does, usually, produce stable governments. Coalitions of multiple parties is something the UK isn't used to and would probably struggle with, at least initially.
iamthecreaturefromuranus is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:46 am
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,693
mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

PR prob the final nail in coffin for Uk politics, present system works -end of.
mindblower is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:56 am
  #8  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,734
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vote on electoral change UK

Originally Posted by mindblower View Post
PR prob the final nail in coffin for Uk politics, present system works -end of.

I think that the parliamentary system is long dead to be honest.

Party politics and the whip system have seen it off. There is very little accountability of elected representatives to the public that vote for them - it all comes down to voting in line with the party whip.

Personally, I think that moving to an elected upper house is a move in the wrong direction. I think it should be an appointed chamber that is impartial to the mechanics of the lower house. The idea that the government of the day needs to convince the upper house of the efficacy of their proposed legislation is a good one I think.


S
Swerv-o is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.