British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Vote on electoral change UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/vote-electoral-change-uk-675361/)

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 6th 2010 1:26 am

Vote on electoral change UK
 
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=6913360

Good, bad, indifferent, don't give a stuff?

While my interest in UK politics is behind me, a change in the voting system was certainly something I used to be in favour of.

bcworld Jul 6th 2010 1:53 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 
I think AV will be a huge benefit to Labour - I've always thought the majority of LD voters would have Labour as their second choice. Maybe it was a secret LibLab plan all along!

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 6th 2010 2:17 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8680172)
I think AV will be a huge benefit to Labour - I've always thought the majority of LD voters would have Labour as their second choice. Maybe it was a secret LibLab plan all along!

How about it being a boost for the minor parties? Greens, BNP, etc

bcworld Jul 6th 2010 2:39 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8680202)
How about it being a boost for the minor parties? Greens, BNP, etc

Alternative voting doesn't do anything for minor parties though...their preferences end up getting divvied up among the major parties. PR on the other hand, is probably what the LibDems really wanted (but compromised) and would be very different.

Swerv-o Jul 6th 2010 4:01 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8680222)
Alternative voting doesn't do anything for minor parties though...their preferences end up getting divvied up among the major parties. PR on the other hand, is probably what the LibDems really wanted (but compromised) and would be very different.


Hmmm. This is a tricky one. Though FPP is generally regarded as unfair, it also doesn't generate ridiculous coalitions of many minor parties that result in general governmental paralysis, as seen often in Europe, and very recently in the Netherlands.

Though we have a coalition govt in the UK now, it [outwardly] appears much more stable than its counterparts across the rest of Europe.

I'm not a fan of shaky coalitions I must admit. There must be a middle ground system that is more fair, but also still generates a stable and non paralysed government?

The BBC did an excellent article on the differences between the various systems. I will try and find it...


S

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 6th 2010 4:14 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8680315)
Hmmm. This is a tricky one. Though FPP is generally regarded as unfair, it also doesn't generate ridiculous coalitions of many minor parties that result in general governmental paralysis, as seen often in Europe, and very recently in the Netherlands.

Though we have a coalition govt in the UK now, it [outwardly] appears much more stable than its counterparts across the rest of Europe.

I'm not a fan of shaky coalitions I must admit. There must be a middle ground system that is more fair, but also still generates a stable and non paralysed government?

The BBC did an excellent article on the differences between the various systems. I will try and find it...


S

I would agree with you as well.. while the current UK system is blantantly unfair it does, usually, produce stable governments. Coalitions of multiple parties is something the UK isn't used to and would probably struggle with, at least initially.

mindblower Jul 6th 2010 5:46 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 
PR prob the final nail in coffin for Uk politics, present system works -end of.

Swerv-o Jul 6th 2010 5:56 am

Re: Vote on electoral change UK
 

Originally Posted by mindblower (Post 8680423)
PR prob the final nail in coffin for Uk politics, present system works -end of.


I think that the parliamentary system is long dead to be honest.

Party politics and the whip system have seen it off. There is very little accountability of elected representatives to the public that vote for them - it all comes down to voting in line with the party whip.

Personally, I think that moving to an elected upper house is a move in the wrong direction. I think it should be an appointed chamber that is impartial to the mechanics of the lower house. The idea that the government of the day needs to convince the upper house of the efficacy of their proposed legislation is a good one I think.


S


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.