Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Vitamin D deficiency among UK children.

Vitamin D deficiency among UK children.

Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Vitamin D deficiency among UK children.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Rickets-...news-5628.html
Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vitamin D deficiency among UK children.

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
And? Are you going to comment on this article or just post random links?

I glanced at it.

The current thinking in the UK medical world is that nearly every resident of the UK is Vit D deficient and could do with a supplement. Not just indoorsy kids
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:19 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
And? Are you going to comment on this article or just post random links?

I glanced at it.

The current thinking in the UK medical world is that nearly every resident of the UK is Vit D deficient and could do with a supplement. Not just indoorsy kids
But of course that thinking is flawed. There are enough readily available and natural sources of vitamin D without having the need to take pill supplements.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thing on the tv here the other day saying that most people are suffering from vit D deficency due to sunblock blocking it all out. I know a few people here who have been diagnosed with it at the Drs.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
There was a thing on the tv here the other day saying that most people are suffering from vit D deficency due to sunblock blocking it all out. I know a few people here who have been diagnosed with it at the Drs.
I read about the sunblock side effect as well. But we can't not use sun block so the answer really does lay with our food or at a push - supplements. Something which I've just noticed is foods containing vitamin D very often also contains omega-3 fatty acids .
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:21 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I read about the sunblock side effect as well. But we can't not use sun block so the answer really does lay with our food or at a push - supplements. Something which I've just noticed is foods containing vitamin D very often also contains omega-3 fatty acids .
be careful taking supplements too much vit d can be toxic over time
cereals and milk are usually fortified with vit D
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Is it a conspiracy to get muslims to get their gear off?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:32 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

well its interesting that darker skinned people are more likely to suffer from it. I am not sure that I could be bothered to monitor all my deficiencies, I am sure that I was lacking vit d in the uk and defo suffered with SAD however here I am sure I am getting way too much harmfull sunlight. both my parents had skin cancer, I think it is perhaps a more worrying side effect of lifestyle

Every environment brings with it its own negatives and you just have to try to balance your food intake sensibly and exercise. then binge drink at weekends, stress yourself to death at work and worry about having something to worry about.

actually ignore me I am not in a great mood
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Is it possible to block vitamin D and still get a tan?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Is it possible to block vitamin D and still get a tan?
do you mean block the sun and not hinder the process of producing Vit D?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:50 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viviennef
do you mean block the sun and not hinder the process of producing Vit D?
really?

Em x
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by emelems
really?

Em x
I am now officially confused. I dont know why you wouldnt want Vit D. I am prob reading this all wrong - will discuss with that crazy stone age family tomorrow.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:58 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I am now officially confused. I dont know why you wouldnt want Vit D. I am prob reading this all wrong - will discuss with that crazy stone age family tomorrow.
lmao! maybe! seriously doubt we will have a conversation that might even hit on such issues! I am thinking.. why on earth would anyone NOT want Vit D to grow the old bones.. works exceptionally well with Calcium you know!!

Em x
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:59 am
Banned

well its interesting that darker skinned people are more likely to suffer from it. I am not sure that I could be bothered to monitor all my deficiencies, I am sure that I was lacking vit d in the uk and defo suffered with SAD however here I am sure I am getting way too much harmfull sunlight. both my parents had skin cancer, I think it is perhaps a more worrying side effect of lifestyle

Every environment brings with it its own negatives and you just have to try to balance your food intake sensibly and exercise. then binge drink at weekends, stress yourself to death at work and worry about having something to worry about.

actually ignore me I am not in a great mood
There's a theory kicking about that fair skins in Europe and North Asia are the result of natural selection. Those with fairer skins produced more vitamin D and went on to have healthy children whereas those with darker skin were more inclined to have rickets with a side effect being it's more difficult to give birth. Apparently dark skinned people need to spend 6 times as much time as fair skinned to produce the same amount of vitamin D. It seems plausible.

Last edited by paulry; Jan 24th 2010 at 12:02 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:01 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

sunscreen above factor 8 blocks vit d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.