Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Visitors from the uk - with previous positive Covid test

Visitors from the uk - with previous positive Covid test

Old Mar 14th 2022, 4:57 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitors from the uk - with previous positive Covid test

Hi all

Not posted in an eternity but really need some pointers from you lovely people.

In short, my triple vaxxed parents had booked to come see me here on the lovely sunny coast, arriving here 7 March. My dad had a hospital appt on 3 March & unbeknown to him, he picked up Covid. This became apparent when he took his pre flight Covid test on 5/6 March (not sure exactly when) he’s had no symptoms, aside from a ‘bit of a head cold’ as he put it. That lasted a day or two but has been fine since.

In their desperation to come here, they then took many a home up the nose kinda test & got 2+ negative results each. So after speaking to their travel agent, they rebooked their flights, to leave today (14 March) from the uk. Off they went for their pre flight test, and my dad gets another positive result. My mum has been fine all this time & returned 100% negative tests.

Now, I discovered today that people can keep getting positive results long after recovering from Covid…months even due to the test detecting antigens despite you having no symptoms and no longer being infectious?

Emirates today confirmed that my dad can get a letter from his GP confirming that he’s had Covid, but has now recovered, has no symptoms and is no longer infectious. He needs to present this to emirates, not quite sure ‘how’ tho.

Also, he needs to lodge an application for exemption via QLD government site & upload his GP letter. Has anyone done this? And do you have any idea how long this takes to process?

Thanks in advance, my parents are so stressed with all this ☹️
Old Mar 14th 2022, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors from the uk - with previous positive Covid test

Originally Posted by artep
Hi all

Not posted in an eternity but really need some pointers from you lovely people.

In short, my triple vaxxed parents had booked to come see me here on the lovely sunny coast, arriving here 7 March. My dad had a hospital appt on 3 March & unbeknown to him, he picked up Covid. This became apparent when he took his pre flight Covid test on 5/6 March (not sure exactly when) he’s had no symptoms, aside from a ‘bit of a head cold’ as he put it. That lasted a day or two but has been fine since.

In their desperation to come here, they then took many a home up the nose kinda test & got 2+ negative results each. So after speaking to their travel agent, they rebooked their flights, to leave today (14 March) from the uk. Off they went for their pre flight test, and my dad gets another positive result. My mum has been fine all this time & returned 100% negative tests.

Now, I discovered today that people can keep getting positive results long after recovering from Covid…months even due to the test detecting antigens despite you having no symptoms and no longer being infectious?

Emirates today confirmed that my dad can get a letter from his GP confirming that he’s had Covid, but has now recovered, has no symptoms and is no longer infectious. He needs to present this to emirates, not quite sure ‘how’ tho.

Also, he needs to lodge an application for exemption via QLD government site & upload his GP letter. Has anyone done this? And do you have any idea how long this takes to process?

Thanks in advance, my parents are so stressed with all this ☹️
Stay away from PCR tests if you have had Covid. The cells can linger for months and PCR's are very sensitive.

RAT'S or Lateral Flow are the way to go with the GP. No idea about Queensland but I was under the impression for NSW that was all that was required. Don't they just present that at the airline check in? Why the exemption? I thought RATS or LATs with you GP were accepted?

Just curious. Did it cost a lot to change the flight?
Old Mar 14th 2022, 6:00 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Stay away from PCR tests if you have had Covid. The cells can linger for months and PCR's are very sensitive.

RAT'S or Lateral Flow are the way to go with the GP. No idea about Queensland but I was under the impression for NSW that was all that was required. Don't they just present that at the airline check in? Why the exemption? I thought RATS or LATs with you GP were accepted?

Just curious. Did it cost a lot to change the flight?

Well I’m not sure what their home tests were, but they were all negative. It was when they had to do the pre flight tests for Singapore airlines (their requirement) that he got his first positive. When they went to reschedule with Singapore, the flights were hugely more expensive, not sure how much so they decided to cancel them and now they’re waiting on a refund. They then booked with Emirates at a cost of £2600 for two return tickets, to fly out today, but he tested positive again at the pre flight - again an airline requirement. Am thinking he tested positive because of the cells still in his body.

Emirates have now confirmed all he needs is a letter from his GP stating it’s been at least 7 days since his first positive, that he’s had no fever or respiratory symptoms for 72 hours & that he’s now recovered. This will clear him to fly.

QLD Government are saying he will need to apply for an exemption & upload his letter. I’m just not sure how long it’s going to take QLD Government to process this…
Old Mar 16th 2022, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well I’m not sure what their home tests were, but they were all negative. It was when they had to do the pre flight tests for Singapore airlines (their requirement) that he got his first positive. When they went to reschedule with Singapore, the flights were hugely more expensive, not sure how much so they decided to cancel them and now they’re waiting on a refund. They then booked with Emirates at a cost of £2600 for two return tickets, to fly out today, but he tested positive again at the pre flight - again an airline requirement. Am thinking he tested positive because of the cells still in his body.

Emirates have now confirmed all he needs is a letter from his GP stating it’s been at least 7 days since his first positive, that he’s had no fever or respiratory symptoms for 72 hours & that he’s now recovered. This will clear him to fly.

QLD Government are saying he will need to apply for an exemption & upload his letter. I’m just not sure how long it’s going to take QLD Government to process this…
I am not sure what Qld requires. Qld have been a nightmare during Covid so it's anyone's guess.

https://www.emirates.com/au/english/...ents/tourists/

The good news is they won't requite a test on their return to the UK according to the site above providing they are just transiting in Dubai
Old Mar 16th 2022, 12:49 am
....is FAB

Yeah the uk don’t require anyone to test at all…leaving or entering.

QLD health is a pain in the a*se to be frank. Emirates are quite happy with a letter from his GP confirming he has no symptoms no nothing & he’s fully recovered (he never had any symptoms in the first place) as is the health.gov.au site.

However, despite me explaining the situation 6 times no less, as my call kept getting cut off…QLD want him to apply for an exemption via an app. They want him to upload his letter from the GP, this then goes into a queue to be processed and assessed for approval. Nobody can give you an idea of processing times…all I got was ‘we get thousands of these requests that we are constantly prioritising them in order of the most important first, so don’t book a flight, you’re just going to have to wait’ ….this is really very unhelpful. I was told, & I quote ‘Don’t think for one minute he can just rock up here with his letter from his GP, he needs to apply for an exemption!’ ….an exemption he will likely never be given. In QLD’s eyes, you either provide a negative or don’t bother even trying to come here..

Old Mar 16th 2022, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah the uk don’t require anyone to test at all…leaving or entering.

QLD health is a pain in the a*se to be frank. Emirates are quite happy with a letter from his GP confirming he has no symptoms no nothing & he’s fully recovered (he never had any symptoms in the first place) as is the health.gov.au site.

However, despite me explaining the situation 6 times no less, as my call kept getting cut off…QLD want him to apply for an exemption via an app. They want him to upload his letter from the GP, this then goes into a queue to be processed and assessed for approval. Nobody can give you an idea of processing times…all I got was ‘we get thousands of these requests that we are constantly prioritising them in order of the most important first, so don’t book a flight, you’re just going to have to wait’ ….this is really very unhelpful. I was told, & I quote ‘Don’t think for one minute he can just rock up here with his letter from his GP, he needs to apply for an exemption!’ ….an exemption he will likely never be given. In QLD’s eyes, you either provide a negative or don’t bother even trying to come here..
Fly to Sydney then get a domestic flight to Queensland.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 3:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Fly to Sydney then get a domestic flight to Queensland.
Still have to follow the Qld rules unless you've been in NSW for 14 days before entering Qld, so be careful......

( Hi artep, good to see you are still out there!)
Old Mar 16th 2022, 3:46 am
....is FAB

They’d have to stay in NSW for 2 weeks as anyone coming into qld who’s been overseas in the 14 days prior is considered an international arrival…

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...-from-overseas

About international arrivals

“You are considered an international arrival if you have been in a place outside of Australia in the last 14 days immediately before your arrival in Queensland:

To enter Australia, you need to get the appropriate approvals from the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs

Requirements to enter Queensland will depend on whether you are fully vaccinated. See what you need to do when entering Queensland as:
These requirements also apply to seasonal workers and people arriving from a safe travel zone country.

There are unique requirements for unvaccinated minors entering Queensland from overseas unaccompanied or with a fully vaccinated adult.

Maritime crew and Air Crew need to comply with their own set of requirements.”

Staying in NSW for 2 weeks isn’t an option from an affordability perspective. I fund my parents trips each time they come as they are just on a uk pension. I can’t afford 2 weeks for them in NSW too 😔

Last edited by artep; Mar 16th 2022 at 3:48 am.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 3:51 am
....is FAB

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Still have to follow the Qld rules unless you've been in NSW for 14 days before entering Qld, so be careful......

( Hi artep, good to see you are still out there!)
Hey Pollyana! Good to hear from you…yep an still hanging around..! About to face my second round of retrenchment again…did it in 2019..but hey, what can you do?

I think my folks are just going to keep rescheduling flights, keep testing and just hope…cos that’s all they can do right now…they have a great grandchild to meet so they’re soooo keen to get here finally!

Hope life is treating you well?
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They’d have to stay in NSW for 2 weeks as anyone coming into qld who’s been overseas in the 14 days prior is considered an international arrival…

About international arrivals

“You are considered an international arrival if you have been in a place outside of Australia in the last 14 days immediately before your arrival in Queensland:

To enter Australia, you need to get the appropriate approvals from the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs

Requirements to enter Queensland will depend on whether you are fully vaccinated. See what you need to do when entering Queensland as:These requirements also apply to seasonal workers and people arriving from a safe travel zone country.

There are unique requirements for unvaccinated minors entering Queensland from overseas unaccompanied or with a fully vaccinated adult.

Maritime crew and Air Crew need to comply with their own set of requirements.”

Staying in NSW for 2 weeks isn’t an option from an affordability perspective. I fund my parents trips each time they come as they are just on a uk pension. I can’t afford 2 weeks for them in NSW too 😔
And you would declare that for Annastacia Palaszczuk? Really? I wouldn't. And you have GP approval anyway. Hardly a health risk. There comes a time with all these nonsense pandemic hangover rules, individuals need to be responsible for themselves.

Last edited by Beoz; Mar 16th 2022 at 4:57 am.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 5:20 am
....is FAB

Well yeah people def need to take responsibility for themselves..QLD is just caught where the rest of the world was 12m ago with their ridiculous rules.

Like I say, GP approval is good enough for Emirates & other states in Australia, but not QLD. I can’t take the risk of my 78 year old dad being told he can’t come in or has to quarantine in a government chosen hotel at a cost of $4k per week until he tests negative which as I said might take a while.

Him arriving in NSW & then flying up like I say isn’t an option…neither is him enduring the 12 hour drive from Sydney to the sunny coast. So it seems we are stuffed until he can produce a negative at home.

Screw you QLD…😡
Old Mar 16th 2022, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well yeah people def need to take responsibility for themselves..QLD is just caught where the rest of the world was 12m ago with their ridiculous rules.

Like I say, GP approval is good enough for Emirates & other states in Australia, but not QLD. I can’t take the risk of my 78 year old dad being told he can’t come in or has to quarantine in a government chosen hotel at a cost of $4k per week until he tests negative which as I said might take a while.

Him arriving in NSW & then flying up like I say isn’t an option…neither is him enduring the 12 hour drive from Sydney to the sunny coast. So it seems we are stuffed until he can produce a negative at home.

Screw you QLD…😡
Definitely with you on that one. If they can make things difficult, then they will.
Old Mar 19th 2022, 9:34 am
....is FAB

I’ve had a thought….I can’t actually find anything that says you need to produce a negative Covid test to enter qld…all I have seen is that all international vaccinated travellers must take a Covid test within 24 hours of arrival.

There’s nothing to say they need to present a negative test result at bloody passport control or customs to actually get in…so am wondering, if the airline are cool with a dr letter saying he’s fit to fly then what’s to stop him coming here…then just staying at my house until he provides the negative result QLD so desperately desire..?
Old Mar 19th 2022, 10:49 am
Home and Happy

I’ve had a thought….I can’t actually find anything that says you need to produce a negative Covid test to enter qld…all I have seen is that all international vaccinated travellers must take a Covid test within 24 hours of arrival.

There’s nothing to say they need to present a negative test result at bloody passport control or customs to actually get in…so am wondering, if the airline are cool with a dr letter saying he’s fit to fly then what’s to stop him coming here…then just staying at my house until he provides the negative result QLD so desperately desire..?
There are two sets of rules though not just Queensland-specific, but there is also the Federal level.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid...er-declaration is first, and gets a person permission to enter Australia, and which states
You will also need to provide a negative COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test or other nucleic acid amplification test result within 3 days of the flight’s scheduled departure to Australia or a medical certificate as evidence of a negative Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) taken under medical supervision within 24 hours before the flight’s scheduled departure to Australia.

Only then do you need to look at State requirements

Old Mar 19th 2022, 12:06 pm
....is FAB

For Emirates, he can supply a letter from his GP stating he’s fit to fly with no symptoms, he’s not infectious…yadda yadda yah…present it at check in and he’s fine, good to go.

I called qld health again tonight, as I think the numpty who told me last week he’d have to apply via an app for an exemption was thinking my dad didn’t want to have to test when he got here…which of course he will. The guy I spoke to tonight just said as my dad is triple vaxxed, all he has to do is present his letter, if requested, upon arrival, then take a test within 24 hours of arrival here & stay at my place in the meantime…now if only they’d told me that last week…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.