Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Vietnam and Cambodia

Wikiposts

Vietnam and Cambodia

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vietnam and Cambodia

We have never been to Cambodia but spent a week in HCMC/Saigon.

We stayed in a lovely hotel, the Duxton. Mr P is half Vietnamese and it was his first trip () so he ate lots of yukky things. I was pregnant so had to eat bland, well cooked- dull but safe.

We found loads to do in and around Saigon, even if some of it was too overwhelming for a hormonally charged pregnant woman. I wept my way round most of the museums.

People are lovely and we want to go back and explore more, but we did not do any beaches- just Mekong Delta and the tunnels etc
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hebe
We are planning a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia around New Year. I think we have decided on doing a small group tour but that is as far as we have got. We don't mind travelling around for about 2 weeks but then we would like to go to a beach resort for about 5 nights or so and that is where we are stuck. Do we choose a tour that ends in Cambodia and then try there or one that ends in Vietnam and try there?

We do like a bit of luxury on our holidays, particularly if we are staying something for a number of nights.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be gratefully received, including tours etc. There are just pages and pages of information out there and it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
We spent 3 weeks last Christmas/New Year in Vietnam. Started off in Ha Noi, did a 2 day cruise on Ha Long Bay, flew down to Da Nang and spent Christmas in Hoi An. Flew from Da Nang to Da Lat then hired a car and driver down to Nha Trang for New Year. A couple of days in Mui Ne and then finished up in HCMC. Really enjoyed every place, altho did find parts of Nha Trang a bit seedy. Mui Ne was v quite and relaxing - absolutely fab hotel there:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html

In Nha Trang do the mud baths.

Da Nang is mainly a row of big hotels, condos and golf resorts - most still under construction. Hoi An far more charming.

Loved Vietnam and highly recommend. Go before it changes. Did it all independently and reasonably priced. Booked all hotels off TripAdvisor - restaurants too.

We are going to Cambodia this year for same time frame - Siem Reap, PP, Battambang, Kep. Like you we wanted a beach resort at end for few days. Didnt like at all what I was reading about Sihanoukville so we have opted for a few days on Phu Quoc followed by a couple more days shopping in HCMC
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I travelled around Vietnam and Cambodia about seven years ago. In Cambodia the only beach resort I went to was Sihanoukville, it was a place a bit more for the traveller / back packer though I don't think you will find any swanky hotels there (or anything even close..).

If you want a little bit of luxury at the end of your trip you are more likely to find it in Vietnam. I stayed in a couple of places as I made the trip from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh; Da Nang and Nha Trang although my specific memories of each are blurred and I can't remember which one I preferred.

Anyway, definitely finish in Vietnam.
Sihanoukville is made up of several beaches so depends which one is chosen to stay as to the experience I guess.
Ocheauteal Beach was very different(more upmarket} to Victory Beach and Wireless Hill,places where I stayed.

The latter being more the backpacker place but plenty going on.
Victory Beach could not be described as very clean at the time and the fruit sellers etc can be a little tiring and some plain rude after awhile when they realize no business is coming their way from you.(actually found that a few times and not only in Sihanoukville either)

One needs to take a little care at night on the beach or walking away from main area as muggings do happen.
The city rather limited but has probably improved since I was there. Quite a large expat population live there running a business of one sort or another,as they do in other cities throughout Cambodia.
Check some out as some have interesting stories to tell. Some rather heavy goings on under the surface and far from all fun...but interesting never the less.
Agree would finish in Vietnam for sure.