British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Viber - anyone tried it?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/viber-anyone-tried-703744/)

Jen1977ni Feb 4th 2011 7:12 am

Viber - anyone tried it?!

http://www.viber.com/

Centurion Feb 4th 2011 9:47 am

Re: Viber - anyone tried it?!

Or just download the Skype app ?

The one everyone uses already and don't have to have the obscure ones that are popping up ? :)

Jen1977ni Feb 4th 2011 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 9151592)
Or just download the Skype app ?

The one everyone uses already and don't have to have the obscure ones that are popping up ? :)

I kinda like it, so far lol

bcworld Feb 4th 2011 10:17 am

Yup I've got Viber...and so do many other people in my address book, it's very popular!

Jen1977ni Feb 4th 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9151655)
Yup I've got Viber...and so do many other people in my address book, it's very popular!

U used it much?!

bcworld Feb 4th 2011 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 9151692)
U used it much?!

Yup...use it to chat to friends overseas...super clear calls, bit of delay sometimes though.

northernbird Feb 4th 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 9151276)

To be honest I wouldn't use anything you recommend after the luck you seem to have with stuff here :rofl:

bcworld Feb 4th 2011 10:38 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9151706)
To be honest I wouldn't use anything you recommend after the luck you seem to have with stuff here :rofl:

:o

Well this one's free at least!

I did test the Metroview again, cos I realised I hadn't used it since it upgraded...I did have a few wee issues but still worked ok navigating...did you ever get it to work?

northernbird Feb 4th 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9151712)
:o

Well this one's free at least!

I did test the Metroview again, cos I realised I hadn't used it since it upgraded...I did have a few wee issues but still worked ok navigating...did you ever get it to work?

Nope, the first problem I have had with anything in 6 years here!

Jen1977ni Feb 4th 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9151706)

Cheeky bint lol My bro just called me on it, very clear, he was on the loo tho, GRRRRR 'One sec Jen, just wiping my bum!' lol

Ittai M Feb 13th 2011 8:22 am

Hey everyone,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team :)

I'm here to answer any question/suggestion you might have regarding our application, so feel free.

I'd also like to add that at the end of this month we're releasing a new version of Viber with Text Messaging service.

Thanks,
Viber.

Turban Explorer Feb 13th 2011 8:31 am

I've tried a viber8ter :lol:

Cheetah7 Feb 13th 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Viber (Post 9172779)
Hey everyone,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team :)

I'm here to answer any question/suggestion you might have regarding our application, so feel free.

I'd also like to add that at the end of this month we're releasing a new version of Viber with Text Messaging service.

Thanks,
Viber.

Text messaging? can you tell us more? I have free texts within Australia but would love to have them overseas.:o

Ittai M Feb 13th 2011 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9172848)
Text messaging? can you tell us more? I have free texts within Australia but would love to have them overseas.:o

It allows to text for free between Viber users, even if they are overseas.
On March we are releasing a new Viber version compatible with Android, so that'll expand the range of people who can use Viber (and talk&text for free).

Viber.

Cheetah7 Feb 13th 2011 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Viber (Post 9172854)
It allows to text for free between Viber users, even if they are overseas.
On March we are releasing a new Viber version compatible with Android, so that'll expand the range of people who can use Viber (and talk&text for free).

Viber.

Excellent, so with iphone will we get a message to say there is an update/newer version?

Ittai M Feb 13th 2011 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9172857)
Excellent, so with iphone will we get a message to say there is an update/newer version?

We are planning such a feature (an automated update notification) but for now you'll just have to follow us on Facebook or our homepage to know when the new version is released.

I'll also make sure to post a message here once the version is ready.

bcworld Feb 13th 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Viber (Post 9172869)
We are planning such a feature (an automated update notification) but for now you'll just have to follow us on Facebook or our homepage to know when the new version is released.

I'll also make sure to post a message here once the version is ready.

Presumably the iStore will automatically show that an update is available?

Ittai M Feb 13th 2011 9:21 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9172871)
Presumably the iStore will automatically show that an update is available?

Yes, if you search for updates in AppStore, you should be notified when Viber is also available with a new version.

melibeam Feb 16th 2011 9:01 pm

I have a question. I have an iphone 3g and my sister in Ireland has an iphone 4g. We have been using Viber to call each other. I have wifi at home and always call her from home. She does not have wifi at home so only connects to wifi when she is out shopping, in gym etc.

If I call her when her phone is not connected to wifi, does she have to pay for the call???

bcworld Feb 16th 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by melibeam (Post 9181255)
If I call her when her phone is not connected to wifi, does she have to pay for the call???

She has to use data on her mobile network in that case. If she has a data allowance then she'll probably not pay anything extra. If she doesn't or has exceeded her paid for data allowance she could be paying some scary amount per Mb.

melibeam Feb 16th 2011 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9181380)
She has to use data on her mobile network in that case. If she has a data allowance then she'll probably not pay anything extra. If she doesn't or has exceeded her paid for data allowance she could be paying some scary amount per Mb.

Thank you, thats what I thought, dont think she has much data allowance so I wonder what the costs of viber are if she has exceeded this.

bcworld Feb 16th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by melibeam (Post 9181396)
Thank you, thats what I thought, dont think she has much data allowance so I wonder what the costs of viber are if she has exceeded this.

Hard to say...as obviously its all about the data, you're not paying Viber anything. I really don't know what sort of bandwidth is involved, I think when I record online radio it's something like 1Mb every 2 minutes...that MIGHT be a fair approximation. Data is normally cheap to add, might be worth looking at the plan.

Ittai M Feb 17th 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by melibeam (Post 9181396)

bcworld was correct with all the info he wrote:

1. Viber doesn't benefit a penny from that data usage. Viber itself is completely free - what you MIGHT pay for is your cellular data usage.

2. Viber uses about 250KB/min each way, which is about 0.5MB/min total.

melibeam Feb 17th 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9182174)
bcworld was correct with all the info he wrote:

1. Viber doesn't benefit a penny from that data usage. Viber itself is completely free - what you MIGHT pay for is your cellular data usage.

2. Viber uses about 250KB/min each way, which is about 0.5MB/min total.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Ittai M Mar 22nd 2011 9:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I am excited to inform you that within the next few days our new version - Viber 2.0 - will be available for download in AppStore.

So what's new in Viber 2.0?

- OUR NEW TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE!
- TONS of bug fixes, including connectivity problems, issues with users who aren't identified as Viber users, and many many more.
- An improved calling mechanism that allows you to know if the other side's Viber is actually ringing
- A "Don't show this message again" option when trying to make a regular GSM call through Viber
- A new, easy option to deactivate your Viber account from inside the application itself
- Relocation of "Favorites" tab

I would like to remind you that our next goal is VIBER-FOR-ANDROID!
We estimate that this will be ready within the next month or so, but you'll have to stay tuned for updates as these estimates might change.

Thank you, and as always - feel free to ask any question.
Viber Media.

Jen1977ni Mar 23rd 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9257569)
Hello everyone,

I am excited to inform you that within the next few days our new version - Viber 2.0 - will be available for download in AppStore.

So what's new in Viber 2.0?

- OUR NEW TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE!
- TONS of bug fixes, including connectivity problems, issues with users who aren't identified as Viber users, and many many more.
- An improved calling mechanism that allows you to know if the other side's Viber is actually ringing
- A "Don't show this message again" option when trying to make a regular GSM call through Viber
- A new, easy option to deactivate your Viber account from inside the application itself
- Relocation of "Favorites" tab

I would like to remind you that our next goal is VIBER-FOR-ANDROID!
We estimate that this will be ready within the next month or so, but you'll have to stay tuned for updates as these estimates might change.

Thank you, and as always - feel free to ask any question.
Viber Media.

How will the free texting work then?

Ittai M Mar 23rd 2011 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 9258606)
How will the free texting work then?

Just like your iPhone's Text Messaging.
Within the next few days you'll be able to see yourself :)

Jen1977ni Mar 23rd 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9258631)

Cool!

bcworld Mar 23rd 2011 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 9258636)
Cool!

I imagine it'll be a lot like whatsapp - have you tried that?

steve_kelly_and_boys Mar 29th 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9258631)

hi

when is this update coming ??? i keep checking for updates but nothing as yet

LouiseR Mar 29th 2011 1:51 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9258962)
I imagine it'll be a lot like whatsapp - have you tried that?

I've got that one. Not bad really but I always forget to use it :D

Ittai M Mar 29th 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys (Post 9270823)
hi

when is this update coming ??? i keep checking for updates but nothing as yet

It's up on AppStore!
Grab it while it's hot :)

bcworld Mar 31st 2011 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9271219)
It's up on AppStore!
Grab it while it's hot :)

Hmmm, I see you've had to release Viber 2.0.1 already! :sneaky:

Jen1977ni Mar 31st 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9276570)
Hmmm, I see you've had to release Viber 2.0.1 already! :sneaky:

Yeah and when I click on it it won't let me have it?! GRRR

bcworld Mar 31st 2011 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 9277622)
Yeah and when I click on it it won't let me have it?! GRRR

Friend of mine had lots of problems with installing 2.0 - ended up not being able to use it all - took a bit of fixing.

Ittai M Apr 1st 2011 8:30 am

Viber 2.0.1 should fix all the problems (in download and in functionality).

Please uninstall your current versions and install 2.0.1 from AppStore (and also tell your friends to do so).

If you encounter problems, let me know.

Dorothy May 1st 2011 1:34 pm

Ok, bit of an airhead question here but can I use this from overseas to call my OH here for free without international roaming charges?

Ittai M May 1st 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9336125)
Ok, bit of an airhead question here but can I use this from overseas to call my OH here for free without international roaming charges?

The answer is yes.
Make sure tough that when you are abroad, you are not using the local 3G network, because then your cellular company could charge you a lot of money for roaming.

Using WiFi when you are abroad to make Viber calls ensures that the call is absolutely free, even if it's international.

Dorothy May 1st 2011 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9336216)
The answer is yes.
Make sure tough that when you are abroad, you are not using the local 3G network, because then your cellular company could charge you a lot of money for roaming.

Using WiFi when you are abroad to make Viber calls ensures that the call is absolutely free, even if it's international.

Thank you.

steve_kelly_and_boys May 4th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Ittai M (Post 9336216)
The answer is yes.

hi

i have been using viber for a while now and am very happy with it

can you tell me if and when i send a text message from here indoors / wifi area so "free " does the receiver pay any charge for it if they are not in a wifi area

if i send a text out of wifi what allowance does it take up

also any ideas when this will be available to blackberry as half the people i know are on this

all the best steve