British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Vegemite... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/vegemite-554570/)

plantpot Aug 11th 2008 12:16 pm

Vegemite...

Just wondering if marmite fans are tucking into vegemite, or anyone new to vegemite that has developed a taste for it on entering Oz?

Is it even LIKE marmite?

PP Marmite fan x

windog Aug 11th 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Vegemite...

Originally Posted by plantpot (Post 6668560)
Just wondering if marmite fans are tucking into vegemite, or anyone new to vegemite that has developed a taste for it on entering Oz?

Is it even LIKE marmite?

PP Marmite fan x

Similar but different!:D

Its the sort of thing, whichever you were brought up with you are going to prefer, but either are edible!

plantpot Aug 11th 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by windog (Post 6668571)
Similar but different!:D

Its the sort of thing, whichever you were brought up with you are going to prefer, but either are edible!

Not a fan then?:rofl:

jasb Aug 11th 2008 12:37 pm

Vegemite is disgusting :p

asher Aug 11th 2008 12:37 pm

The OH is a marmite fan but happy to eat vegemite

I say both are disgusting :rofl:

plantpot Aug 11th 2008 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 6668635)
The OH is a marmite fan but happy to eat vegemite

I say both are disgusting :rofl:

And do you go as far as to shout 'yuk' and say 'it smells like dogshit?' Or make your OH brush his/her teeth before a snog after ingesting mar/veg mite...;)

Cos my OH does!!! The swine...

asher Aug 11th 2008 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by plantpot (Post 6668658)
And do you go as far as to shout 'yuk' and say 'it smells like dogshit?' Or make your OH brush his/her teeth before a snog after ingesting mar/veg mite...;)

Cos my OH does!!! The swine...

I'm with your OH :rofl::p

the bloke isn't allowed near till he has cleaned his teeth:thumbsup:

ozzieeagle Aug 11th 2008 1:06 pm

My wife being Aussie loves Vegemite, so when she first moved to the UK, I got used to it. Now after years, I prefer Vegemite. Doubt if I could go back to Marmite now.

username02 Aug 11th 2008 1:11 pm

Is it even LIKE marmite?

PP Marmite fan x

I'm a lifelong fan or Marmite, but I've converted to Vegemite after visiting Aus last year. Quite a few places stock it over here, so try it for yourself.

Vegemite is sweeter than Marmite, but otherwise fairly similar. Don't be fooled by the jars of Marmite on the shelves there though - it's not the same thing as we have in the UK. Look for Our Mate (or something like that) - same jar, different label.

More than you could ever want to know about both of them:

plantpot Aug 11th 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by schwuk (Post 6668732)
I'm a lifelong fan or Marmite, but I've converted to Vegemite after visiting Aus last year. Quite a few places stock it over here, so try it for yourself.

Vegemite is sweeter than Marmite, but otherwise fairly similar. Don't be fooled by the jars of Marmite on the shelves there though - it's not the same thing as we have in the UK. Look for Our Mate (or something like that) - same jar, different label.

More than you could ever want to know about both of them:

I don't live in UK so although I can get Marmite here (UAE) Vegemite will have to wait til I get to Oz....;(

marvinc Aug 11th 2008 1:17 pm

Is it even LIKE marmite?

PP Marmite fan x

LOVE marmite........had Vegemite on reccie and liked it. Early poster is right 'similar but different' :)

Jan4kids Aug 11th 2008 1:41 pm

Didn't mind some Marmite every now and then, but absolutely love Vegemite here..think it's not as salty?? It's not perfect (IMO) unless served with thick toasted white bread and proper butter......so that kind of overides any yeasty, B Vitamin health benefits for me lol! :D

Too much of either though makes my teeth go kind of squeaky and sensitive....anyone else get this??

Katehn Aug 11th 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jan3kids (Post 6668838)
Didn't mind some Marmite every now and then, but absolutely love Vegemite here..think it's not as salty?? It's not perfect (IMO) unless served with thick toasted white bread and proper butter......so that kind of overides any yeasty, B Vitamin health benefits for me lol! :D

Too much of either though makes my teeth go kind of squeaky and sensitive....anyone else get this??

I love Vegemite.
Vegmite that you get in the U.K is not the same as you get here.
It's much better here, its a different taste.

ivanjjordan Aug 11th 2008 7:16 pm

vegemite is like eatin rust and sick to this pome but i suppose its what ur use too:eek:

mysnix Aug 12th 2008 12:18 am

I LOVE vegemite - can't stand Marmite and never have done. New found obsession since moving to Aus.

Nikki
x