Vegan lifestyle

Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vegan lifestyle

Right now I've been a fat bastard for years, no diet has ever worked long term. I've started thinking outside the box and reading up on vegitarianism/veganism (are they actually words?) Allaen Carrs easy way to lose weight was a very compelling read, and I've been reading various articles on the net.

It strikes me that I actually can't think of a good enough reason not to do it, we were born to eat fruit, veg and seeds/nuts, and meat only on rare occasions, so not exclusively vegan I suppose. Zero processed sugars, any shop bought food with an ingredients list, is essentially processed food and limited to occasional only, zero dairy, only eat when your body tells you it's hungry for nutrients, you know that kind of stuff.

Anyone on here a veggie or a vegan, is there any such thing as a fat vegan?

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts, one thing that got me was the bit about acquired tastes can be unacquired, and we should listen to our instincts.

I feel a bit wierd at the moment,
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegan lifestyle

I could never go vegan I don't think. But I've lost about 13kg over the last 18 months or so by just thinking about what I eat and trying not to overeat. I did it to support my son who has a weight problem due to some health issues he has and it's been good for me. I eat a lot of Asian salads, heaps of bean sprouts, snow peas etc in a salad with just a bit of sautéed beef, lamp or chicken through it, some rice noodles thrown in sometimes. The plan didn't really work for my son so I took him to a dietician and exercise physiologist. The dietician advised that a dinner plate (filled to the inner circle, not the outside) should contain one quarter carbs, one quarter protein and half veges or salad - the amount of salad could be doubled. Instead of a muffin or banana bread in his lunchbox, we do boiled eggs and fresh veges and stuff. It's a matter of trial and error to see what works for you. The dietician also said to cut out all drinks but milk (can be a smoothy with some fresh fruit and low fat yoghurt) and water - no juices etc. She also gave us a good menu plan with recipes. Worth a trip to visit one if you're really keen to shift some weight and become healthier.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

There are plenty of obese vegetarians and vegans; it's just as easy getting fat on chips, pasta and bread. Healthy nuts contain a hell of a lot of calories and some fruit are very high in sugars (mangos, bananas, dried fruits such as raisins and dates).There is nothing inherently fattening in steaks and burgers. If you consume more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by benhila
There are plenty of obese vegetarians and vegans; it's just as easy getting fat on chips, pasta and bread. Healthy nuts contain a hell of a lot of calories and some fruit are very high in sugars (mangos, bananas, dried fruits such as raisins and dates).There is nothing inherently fattening in steaks and burgers. If you consume more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight.
Well this is the thing, what he's saying is no processed foods , apparently naturally occurring sugar is easily digestible. He pretty much says everything should be eaten in its natural state, ie raw. I stand a risk of being converted if I'm not careful, proper caveman style lol
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Well this is the thing, what he's saying is no processed foods , apparently naturally occurring sugar is easily digestible. He pretty much says everything should be eaten in its natural state, ie raw. I stand a risk of being converted if I'm not careful, proper caveman style lol
And the fats contained in nuts are actually very good for you. Fish, nuts, avocado = good fat.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Well yes, it is "good" fat but it's still fattening if you eat too much of it. The recommended portion of avocado is a 1/5 of a medium avocado (less than 30g). This is a rather small slice.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well yes, it is "good" fat but it's still fattening if you eat too much of it. The recommended portion of avocado is a 1/5 of a medium avocado (less than 30g). This is a rather small slice.
I'll eat half an avocado in a meal, couple of pieces of multigrain toast with smoked salmon avocado, fresh tomato, cracked pepper and sea salt - one of mine and the kids favourite meals and not bad for you if you're expending the same amount of energy or eating less than the average daily calorie intake.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kim67
I'll eat half an avocado in a meal, couple of pieces of multigrain toast with smoked salmon avocado, fresh tomato, cracked pepper and sea salt - one of mine and the kids favourite meals and not bad for you if you're expending the same amount of energy or eating less than the average daily calorie intake.
Sure, you are enjoying a healthy meal and exercising portion control. However, the OP asked about the feasibility of being a vegetarian/vegan and fat. In principle you can eat too much healthy, unprocessed food just as easily as you can eat too much junk food.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sure, you are enjoying a healthy meal and exercising portion control. However, the OP asked about the feasibility of being a vegetarian/vegan and fat. In principle you can eat too much healthy, unprocessed food just as easily as you can eat too much junk food.
Yeah, that's why I suggested a dietician an exercise physiologist, they can really just help put things into perspective. Even walking a couple of laps of swimming pool to build up your stamina can help with exercise - you don't have to go like a bull at a gate from the get go.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kim67
What he's saying is, that hunger is your body telling you you're low on nutrients, not necessarily that your bellys empty, so if you've had a load of chips and a steak, as soon as you can physically fit more in your stomach, the hunger pangs will come back cos you've eaten the wrong kinds of food. He makes some startling comparisons between digestive systems of us, herbivores, and carnivores. You never see a fat squirrel, is something he said that's stuck with me haha
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Vegan lifestyle

What he's saying is, that hunger is your body telling you you're low on nutrients, not necessarily that your bellys empty, so if you've had a load of chips and a steak, as soon as you can physically fit more in your stomach, the hunger pangs will come back cos you've eaten the wrong kinds of food. He makes some startling comparisons between digestive systems of us, herbivores, and carnivores. You never see a fat squirrel, is something he said that's stuck with me haha
Yes, but do we only eat when we're hungry? I can think of many other triggers to eating apart from hunger (frustration, boredom, greediness to name a few). Perhaps squirrels are more emotionally-stable than we are.... Also, all that exercise, running from branch to branch
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Yes, but do we only eat when we're hungry? I can think of many other triggers to eating apart from hunger (frustration, boredom, greediness to name a few). Perhaps squirrels are more emotionally-stable than we are.... Also, all that exercise, running from branch to branch
He basically rubbishes what we've learnt/been brainwashed to do (his words) Basically a squirrel eats what it's been designed by nature to eat and only when it's hungry, and stops when its instinct/sense tells it it's full. It really is a rivetting read, there are probably lots of counter arguments, but with half the western world being fat bastards, I reckon I'm gonna give it a shot. It's at least going to be easy while I'm at work.

Squirrels eh?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I've been a fat bastard for years, no diet has ever worked long term. I've started thinking outside the box and reading up on vegitarianism/veganism (are they actually words?) Allaen Carrs easy way to lose weight was a very compelling read, and I've been reading various articles on the net.

It strikes me that I actually can't think of a good enough reason not to do it, we were born to eat fruit, veg and seeds/nuts, and meat only on rare occasions, so not exclusively vegan I suppose. Zero processed sugars, any shop bought food with an ingredients list, is essentially processed food and limited to occasional only, zero dairy, only eat when your body tells you it's hungry for nutrients, you know that kind of stuff.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts, one thing that got me was the bit about acquired tastes can be unacquired, and we should listen to our instincts.

As a matter of fact, I think we are all designed to be basically vegetarian
with occasional scores of meat. I am literally vegetarian Monday - Friday and then eat steak etc at the weekend. I see nothing manly in thinking somehow that meat has to be a daily thing and that vegetarians or vegans are somwhow G A Y and annoying. Unless they go on about it - then they are just plain See You Next Tuesdays.

And it's obvious that sugar is a drug.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Overweight vegan here
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
As a matter of fact, I think we are all designed to be basically vegetarian
with occasional scores of meat. I am literally vegetarian Monday - Friday and then eat steak etc at the weekend. I see nothing manly in thinking somehow that meat has to be a daily thing and that vegetarians or vegans are somwhow G A Y and annoying. Unless they go on about it - then they are just plain See You Next Tuesdays.

And it's obvious that sugar is a drug.
You're Allen Carr aren't you? That is more or less the gist of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.