British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Usain Bolt says Comm games are shit....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/usain-bolt-says-comm-games-shit-839814/)

Amazulu Jul 30th 2014 7:42 am

Usain Bolt says Comm games are shit.......

.......I agree

ozzieeagle Jul 30th 2014 7:47 am

Re: Usain Bolt says Comm games are shit.......

Should have stuck with the old name, The Empire Games, then you and all the other colonials could have bowed before their masters...

renth Jul 30th 2014 7:52 am

Well they sort of are but they are a good place for youngsters to get a taste for big international comps. Plus I think he said "a bit shit" rather than "shit" which isn't quite as bad.

Amazulu Jul 30th 2014 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11352271)
Should have stuck with the old name, The Empire Games, then you and all the other colonials could have bowed before their masters...

Another pom living in the past

There's a surprise!

Amazulu Jul 30th 2014 7:59 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 11352274)
Well they sort of are but they are a good place for youngsters to get a taste for big international comps. Plus I think he said "a bit shit" rather than "shit" which isn't quite as bad.

Not quite as bad but he has a point

BEVS Jul 30th 2014 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11352265)
.......I agree

.......I don't.

Amazulu Jul 30th 2014 8:26 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11352287)
.......I don't.

cool

Beoz Jul 30th 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11352265)
.......I agree

+1. Watching England get 500 odd runs was way better

chris955 Jul 30th 2014 9:00 am

They seem to be extremely popular with everyone but Usain Bolt so no need to worry too much. Seth Effrica arent doing very well though.

Garbatellamike Jul 30th 2014 9:31 am

Jamaica's six-time Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt, on Twitter: "I'm waking up to this nonsense... journalist please don't create lies to make headlines."

Garbatellamike Jul 30th 2014 9:32 am

Bolt's manager, Ricky Simms, also told the BBC the newspaper reports were "utter rubbish".

OzTennis Jul 30th 2014 11:26 am

It would astound me if Bolt was so stupid as to say this:

1 He receives millions from Virgin Media as their 'face' of a large advertising campaign and they are a major Games sponsor. It will be written into his contract that he compete in the Games or lose shedloads. (I suspect his response has been, ok, I'll compete, but only in the relay).

2 It's nonsense anyway. A lot of sports and events have the world's best competitors. The cycling, swimming and many athletics events to kick off with have had world and Olympic champions and world record holders. Squash had the men's and ladies world number 1's (who incidentally both lost).

3 Some sports such as lawn bowls don't feature in Olympics but they are leading sports in the Commonwealth countries so these Games are the pinnacle.

As said, he's denying ever saying that so storm in a teacup to sell some red tops.

Molly Coddle Jul 30th 2014 12:15 pm

I think the people in Britain, mainly the Scotts are having a great time at the games.
It's all about Glasgow here at the moment so kudos to the Scotts and I hope it boosts the cities economy massively for them.

OzTennis Jul 30th 2014 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11352476)
I think the people in Britain, mainly the Scotts are having a great time at the games.
It's all about Glasgow here at the moment so kudos to the Scotts and I hope it boosts the cities economy massively for them.

It certainly has done that. The ticket sales have been amazing eg Hampden Park full for morning sessions of the athletics when there's only heats. The welcome to the competitors from all countries (including England ;)) has been phenomenal.

50,000 singing Flower of Scotland at Hampden a few nights ago was spine tingling.

Mr and Mrs OzT were privileged to carry the Queen's Baton so we feel a part of the Games.

Molly Coddle Jul 30th 2014 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis (Post 11352489)
It certainly has done that. The ticket sales have been amazing eg Hampden Park full for morning sessions of the athletics when there's only heats. The welcome to the competitors from all countries (including England ;)) has been phenomenal.

50,000 singing Flower of Scotland at Hampden a few nights ago was spine tingling.

Mr and Mrs OzT were privileged to carry the Queen's Baton so we feel a part of the Games.

Good stuff. :thumbup:

Do you mean you and the Mrs got to carry the Baton?