Upward inflection

Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold
Default Upward inflection

I need to moan about the use of the upward inflection at the end of a sentence, that a lot of people seem to use. I think it's an American phenomenon, but Australia is more than guilty of using it too. It also seems to have spread like a virus across Europe (I blame Neighbours), and adopted by teenagers (God, I'm so old!).

When I'm speaking with someone who uses it, I keep finding myself saying "yes" or nodding like an idiot in agreement all the time. Do they think I'm not paying attention to what they're saying, or have they asked me a question?

Is it just me, or does it drive you nuts too?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upward inflection

Originally Posted by Heljinder
I need to moan about the use of the upward inflection at the end of a sentence, that a lot of people seem to use. I think it's an American phenomenon, but Australia is more than guilty of using it too. It also seems to have spread like a virus across Europe (I blame Neighbours), and adopted by teenagers (God, I'm so old!).

When I'm speaking with someone who uses it, I keep finding myself saying "yes" or nodding like an idiot in agreement all the time. Do they think I'm not paying attention to what they're saying, or have they asked me a question?

Is it just me, or does it drive you nuts too?
I'd say yes, but, erm, I do it too now. I have a really bad habit of picking up accents and I'm sure anyone who knows me would agree, I now have the inflection at the end of my sentences?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thribble
I'd say yes, but, erm, I do it too now. I have a really bad habit of picking up accents and I'm sure anyone who knows me would agree, I now have the inflection at the end of my sentences?

You have my sympathies

My 7 year old son has started to do it again after going back to school. He was "upward inflection free" during the summer hols!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:36 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I only notice it occasionally. I'm not sure they all do it in this bit.

Or maybe it doesn't bother me enough to notice.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a purely Australian thing. Not aware of Americans doing it. I don't mind it now, it irritated a bit at the beginning but now I think I do it as well and don't notice it - it's normal
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bugs the heck out of me. Turning every sentence into a question! A very Australian phenomenon, especially out in the country.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Bugs the heck out of me. Turning every sentence into a question! A very Australian phenomenon, especially out in the country.
My 48 year old brother, nephew and niece all do it. They live in Gloucestershire and have never been to Aus. I just don't no why they do it. In England, southerners seem to do it more than northerners.

I've spoken to a few Brits that have only been in Aus a couple of months and have already succumbed to it. My friend in the UK said if I come back speaking that way, she'll shoot me!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I thought it was a purely Australian thing. Not aware of Americans doing it. I don't mind it now, it irritated a bit at the beginning but now I think I do it as well and don't notice it - it's normal
Yes, you're right, it is more Australian than American. Apparently, it may have originated in NZ. Either way, it's damn annoying.

It says on Wiki that Stephen Fry banished it to Room 101 - good old Stephen Fry!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The wiki page is interesting. Looks like it was a feature of some British accents before the Australians got the blame.

It also suggests that it's just the Aussie/West Coast version of the British "y'know".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upward_inflection
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's not an American thing, but is very prominent in Canada. We also tend to add a superfluous "eh" to the end of statements such as "it's nice out, eh?"

It always amuses me that when people are peeved with something it's suddenly "an American thing".
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Actually no it doesnt annoy me... but i can think of a million and one other uk accents that really grate!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It's a kiwi thing too, although I'm not sure who started it. We used to have a female comedian that exaggerated it for laughs. I find I do it more if talking to someone who does it.

We also say "eh" at the end, but in a different way to the Canadians.

I find different inflections fascinating rather than irritating. Just ignore it. It's not going away, eh?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
It's a kiwi thing too, although I'm not sure who started it. We used to have a female comedian that exaggerated it for laughs. I find I do it more if talking to someone who does it.

We also say "eh" at the end, but in a different way to the Canadians.

I find different inflections fascinating rather than irritating. Just ignore it. It's not going away, eh?
I'm fascinated by different accents/inflections too. I always love when people say I sound American until I start doing different American accents for them. My brother's wife is from Indiana, which is really midwestern and her accent is so different to my son who was raised in Arkansas and Georgia. Then you go to New York and there are dozens of different accents just in NYC, never mind the rest of the state.

You know what I'm talking about, eh?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:42 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Actually no it doesnt annoy me... but i can think of a million and one other uk accents that really grate!
I agree, the British accent I hate the most is Jafaican.

"...wherever you live, it's coming to you soon. The "cor blimey, guvnor"s of those born within the sound of Bow bells are fading into oblivion as a new Jamaican-inspired language takes hold. In a not too distant future, the familiar EastEnders twang of the market seller ("Cam and git your tasty apples!") will be replaced by an Ali G-style patter ("Dem apples is sick, innit?")."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ighereducation
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

What amuses me most about these threads is that you get the school of thought that thinks 'when ur in my country you should speak my language', when talking of immigrants. Then you get those who just winge about a country that was nice enough to let you in!

INNIT! Ai!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.