Is this unsafe?

Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this unsafe?

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Thats illegal, it should be a min of 500mm from the bottom of the power point to the edge of the sink, you can report this to energy safe of the state your living in

Arthur
I thought that horizontally it looked to be at least 150mm from the internal lip of the sink, and therefore outside of the zone. Plus on a sink of 45l, the vertical distyance would be 400mm
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Thats illegal, it should be a min of 500mm from the bottom of the power point to the edge of the sink, you can report this to energy safe of the state your living in

Arthur
Thanks for the replies Arthur but I'm a bit confused - you've said it is both illegal and not illegal?

An electrician moved the socket, but only to the side of the sink's cabinet. I'm not at all convinced that it is safe, but the estate agent comprises a bunch of giveashitless idiots. If there's no law saying that it is a bad job, I guess I've little choice but to wait for the leak, spark, and house to burn down.
Attached Thumbnails Is this unsafe?-p1170936.jpg  
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for any confusion mate:
Now then the state of play is this 1st its to close to the sink, it must be 500mm away from the edge of the sink (Thats the Law) the other thing is it must be in a timber cabinet if its that close to the sink. the cabinet is classed as a barrier.(Next) the power point must be protected at the switchboard (Fuse box) with whats called an RCD (Safety Switch) again that's the law if not then get onto the estate agent telling then this contravenes the AS/NZ Electrical wiring rules. that's there problem. if you still don't get any Joy call energy safe in the state you reside in & they shall investigate this for you Free of charge. if your in Melbourne contact me & i can easily start the ball rolling with Energy safe Victoria its not hard at all once you tell the estate agents you have concerns for safety & you intend to contact energy safe they shall shit them self. remember to keep records of all communication with your real estate people.

Arthur in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Thanks for the replies Arthur but I'm a bit confused - you've said it is both illegal and not illegal?

An electrician moved the socket, but only to the side of the sink's cabinet. I'm not at all convinced that it is safe, but the estate agent comprises a bunch of giveashitless idiots. If there's no law saying that it is a bad job, I guess I've little choice but to wait for the leak, spark, and house to burn down.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for any confusion mate:
Now then the state of play is this 1st its to close to the sink, it must be 500mm away from the edge of the sink (Thats the Law) the other thing is it must be in a timber cabinet if its that close to the sink. the cabinet is classed as a barrier.(Next) the power point must be protected at the switchboard (Fuse box) with whats called an RCD (Safety Switch) again that's the law if not then get onto the estate agent telling then this contravenes the AS/NZ Electrical wiring rules. that's there problem. if you still don't get any Joy call energy safe in the state you reside in & they shall investigate this for you Free of charge. if your in Melbourne contact me & i can easily start the ball rolling with Energy safe Victoria its not hard at all once you tell the estate agents you have concerns for safety & you intend to contact energy safe they shall shit them self. remember to keep records of all communication with your real estate people.

Arthur in Melbourne
Again, gonna disagree. Sinks less than 45l capacity would have a zone 2 limited by 150mm horizontally, and 400mm vertically. Only above 45l would the zone be extended to 500mm horizontally and 1m vertically as is indicated in the images on the link provided - http://www.build.com.au/bathroom/bat...d-power-points.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Again, gonna disagree. Sinks less than 45l capacity would have a zone 2 limited by 150mm horizontally, and 400mm vertically. Only above 45l would the zone be extended to 500mm horizontally and 1m vertically as is indicated in the images on the link provided - http://www.build.com.au/bathroom/bat...d-power-points.
Old Sparkles,
look at the distance of the power point to the edge of the sink tell me if that's a class 2 ask energy safe they shall tell you it requires a barrier, or ask PEER they shall tell you

Arthur
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:36 am

Old Sparkles,
look at the distance of the power point to the edge of the sink tell me if that's a class 2 ask energy safe they shall tell you it requires a barrier, or ask PEER they shall tell you

Arthur
I know, and that would be true if it was still in zone 2 - but it is outside of zone 2 and since there are no other zones associated with fixed water containers it's fine. [6.2.4.2]

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 5th 2013 at 9:40 am.