Unnecessary words

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:43 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unnecessary words

Originally Posted by worzel
Not bad for a bloke who was permanently pissed. I couldn't see Gazza saying anything like that.
Well he might say it but we wouldn't be able to understand it...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
My mind now moves to football managers in the UK and some of the things they used to say. This should be a rich vein to mine. I tried Googling the famous one by Bobby Gould (I think) that was a sentence of something like 200 words without a full stop. Couldn't find it though.

Starting every sentence with "I mean..."

Dropping "ly" from the end of words - "The lad played brilliant"

I remember Mark Wright at the world cup finishing every sentence with "or something"
At the end of the day, the boy done good.
It's a game of two halves.
What they really need is balls in the back of the net... or something!

Those little gems are how I can be entertained by a football match!

(Like the commentators in Dodgeball!)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Has the word "axe" made the dictionaries in place of the word "ask" in the black community in n america yet ?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who starts a sentence 'With respect' - bog off, you're about to really insult someone, don't advertise the fact before hand Another one is IMO or IMHO - very patronising - I use it but shouldn't. It obviously means that you think your opinion is superior to the other person's.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Anyone who starts a sentence 'With respect' - bog off, you're about to really insult someone, don't advertise the fact before hand Another one is IMO or IMHO - very patronising - I use it but shouldn't. It obviously means that you think your opinion is superior to the other person's.
Or on here, (IMO!) it can also mean - don't jump down my throat & kill me, disagree at will!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

If you watch enough Trisha you get fed up with members of the Great Unwashed starting every sentence with, 'at the end of the day (Trisha)....', usually not even bothering to pronounce the 'the', thereby addressing the unnecessary word issue.

Practice saying this phrase enough times and your hair will scrape itself back into a greasy ponytail and you will find yourself wearing 10 gold chains.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I laugh every time they say "with all due respect" in the American shows, e.g. 24. It's almost always some advisor talking to his or her idiot superior who has just made a huge mistake.

Another unnecessary word that JTL has just reminded me of is the word "literally". It's rarely ever used in it's literal sense. When someone says "I can literally kill him" - can you really kill someone with words? I've tried talking to my husband for hours and hours...

Mrs JTL
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:24 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pominNoosa
If you watch enough Trisha you get fed up with members of the Great Unwashed starting every sentence with, 'at the end of the day (Trisha)....', usually not even bothering to pronounce the 'the', thereby addressing the unnecessary word issue.

Practice saying this phrase enough times and your hair will scrape itself back into a greasy ponytail and you will find yourself wearing 10 gold chains.
my OH says that a lot and it really annoys me.

"yeah, but love, at the end of the day...."

"IT'S F***ING NIGHT TIME!..so P off and leave me alone"
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I always hate the way American police speak when on camera : " The alleged homicide occurred when the alleged perpetrator utilised his firearm is such a way as to cause bodily harm to the deceased person which possibly caused his demise"
...errr think you mean, the accused probably fatally shot a bloke'

I have noticed that Oz police have now started doing the same thing.

(And who ever thought suicide was a verb???)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Like those! I also like the way that the WAY is underlined on the WRONG WAY GO BACK signs, and the fact that they are clearly visible from both lanes/sides of the road so could easily be confusing! (for me anyway )
Originally Posted by JackTheLad
When someone says "I can literally kill him" - can you really kill someone with words? I've tried talking to my husband for hours and hours...

Mrs JTL
Just to link these two quotes together. Yes you could have literally killed me with words, especially when you keep calling out the 'Wrong Way GO BACK!!" signs when I'm driving on unfamiliar roads.

My first few months driving in Brisbane were a nightmare for Mrs JTL doing that everytime we were going up on-ramps or leaving the motorway.

I was going to mention the overuse of the word 'basically', which is actually quite a patronising redundant word when you think about it. The person using it is basically saying they are explaining something to you in the simplest terms because you are an idiot, basically.

JTL
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:53 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
I always hate the way American police speak when on camera : " The alleged homicide occurred when the alleged perpetrator utilised his firearm is such a way as to cause bodily harm to the deceased person which possibly caused his demise"
...errr think you mean, the accused probably fatally shot a bloke'

I have noticed that Oz police have now started doing the same thing.

(And who ever thought suicide was a verb???)
And they find a body in a bag and the papers report that "foul play is suspected"
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:54 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

The use of the word 'bashing' to describe something more than a schoolyard fight also tickles me.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Just to link these two quotes together. Yes you could have literally killed me with words, especially when you keep calling out the 'Wrong Way GO BACK!!" signs when I'm driving on unfamiliar roads.

My first few months driving in Brisbane were a nightmare for Mrs JTL doing that everytime we were going up on-ramps or leaving the motorway.

I was going to mention the overuse of the word 'basically', which is actually quite a patronising redundant word when you think about it. The person using it is basically saying they are explaining something to you in the simplest terms because you are an idiot, basically.

JTL
IMHO, you are basically alledgedlly correct
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
The use of the word 'bashing' to describe something more than a schoolyard fight also tickles me.
tickles you ? You need a bashing I reckon
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
tickles you ? You need a bashing I reckon

That just reminded me to google what 'king hit' means. I've been reading it for 3 years in newspapers here, in relation to assaults, and never quite understood what it meant.

Turns out neither do aussies!!

King Hit

JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.