Wikiposts

Uni and Gap year

Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uni and Gap year

Any time I start an inflammatory thread off I always get the feeling that I'm dealing with a bunch of Left Wing, Pinko, Uni types... just to confirm my suspicions.... Which Uni did you go to and where/what did you do/go in your gap year.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:01 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Uni and Gap year

he he he ok I'll play:

I went to Keele Uni (staffs) in the early 90's. I spent 4 glorious years there and aparently studied Politics and Music - my pinko left-wing philosphies were well and truly nutured and I left looking oddly like Neil from 'The Young Ones'..

I had no "Gap Year" prior to going to uni - but after I graduated I spent a year on the dole in Stoke-On-Trent enjoying my social life before giving up and returning to the South of England and starting gainful employment - Does that mean I spent my "gap year" in post-industrial staffordshire? .

The closest I had to a "Gap Year" travel experience would be the 6 weeks I spent trekking aorund the Andes between jobs a little while later - or perhaps other extended overland trips across Africa or SE Asia I've done since moving to Brisbane.

Close enough to stereotype for you?

Last edited by DadAgain; Sep 16th 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:02 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Any time I start an inflammatory thread off I always get the feeling that I'm dealing with a bunch of Left Wing, Pinko, Uni types... just to confirm my suspicions.... Which Uni did you go to and where/what did you do/go in your gap year.
Oxford.

Didn't have a gap year to busy paying the bills.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DadAgain
he he he ok I'll play:

I went to Keele Uni (staffs) in the early 90's. I spent 4 glorious years there and aparently studied Politics and Music - my pinko left-wing philosphies were well and truly nutured and I left looking oddly like Neil from 'The Young Ones'..

I had no "Gap Year" prior to going to uni - but after I graduated I spent a year on the dole in Stoke-On-Trent enjoying my social life before giving up and returning to the South of England and starting gainful employment - Does that mean I spent my "gap year" in post-industrial staffordshire? .

The closest I had to a "Gap Year" travel experience would be the 6 weeks I spent trekking aorund the Andes between jobs a little while later - or perhaps other extended overland trips across Africa or SE Asia I've done since moving to Brisbane.

Close enough to stereotype for you?
Excellent thanks... beautifully stereotypical.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Oxford.

Didn't have a gap year to busy paying the bills.
Why am I not surprised.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:13 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Why am I not surprised.
Where did you go to Uni?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Where did you go to Uni?
Don't be ****ing stupid... I left school at 16 and went to work as a trainee manager in Mostyn cotton mill in North Manchester.. I left after 12 months and spent my gap year getting shot at on the streets of Belfast.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:19 pm
Banned

Don't be ****ing stupid... I left school at 16 and went to work as a trainee manager in Mostyn cotton mill in North Manchester.. I left after 12 months and spent my gap year getting shot at on the streets of Belfast.
That explains everything.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

That explains everything.
Of course it does... it obviously means, in your eyes, that I am some underclass pleb from a council estate who's too stupid to have the amount of 'insight' you believe you have, on such complicated subjects as immigration.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:32 pm
Banned

Of course it does... it obviously means, in your eyes, that I am some underclass pleb from a council estate who's too stupid to have the amount of 'insight' you believe you have, on such complicated subjects as immigration.
Does it?

You seem to be assuming that because I went to Oxford I come from a privilaged background.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

Does it?

You seem to be assuming that because I went to Oxford I come from a privilaged background.
From where I stood anybody who went to Oxford was minted... you on the other hand will now no doubt tell me that you are from a poor family of Zeppelin repairers who only scraped up the cash to send you to Oxford by cutting back on their gas lamp use.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:49 pm
Banned

From where I stood anybody who went to Oxford was minted... you on the other hand will now no doubt tell me that you are from a poor family of Zeppelin repairers who only scraped up the cash to send you to Oxford by cutting back on their gas lamp use.
You really do have a complex.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

You really do have a complex.
Which one... Inferiority or superiority?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:00 pm
Banned

Which one... Inferiority or superiority?
I think you will find there are more than two.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehe ..

There was no such thing as a "gap year" when I finished school. You either went to work or to uni. (The "gap year" is a more modern invention ... I missed out )

Nevertheless, even in those long gone days, I learned my left-wing, pinko tendencies from my parents. They thought that having a social conscience (rather than the "me, me" attitude of the Conservatives) was a positive thing and made sure they instilled this in us kids.

Parents also taught us not to discriminate against others on the grounds of gender, race, religion or sexuality.

Oh, and parents never went to university, so I have no idea where they got these left-wing, pinko attitudes from (not from the grand-parents that's for sure).

Maybe my parents (who grew up during WW2) thought a lot about the long-term future - and were clever enough to realise that a narrow-minded, exclusionary "me, me" attitude would not get us very far in the long run.