Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable.. again!!! Closing Time thread

Wikiposts

Unbelievable.. again!!! Closing Time thread

Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unbelievable.. again!!! Closing Time thread

Originally Posted by Evelin
true, were I work twice a week, the girls get out not one minute later than 6pm. We close at 5.45. Some girls refuse to prepare food after 5pm (eg Sandwich), some won't sell you anything after 5.30. On my shift we don't do it and never leave before 6pm because it is not possible when the shop is open until 5.45. I always say how is it when you go to Coles? They still let you buy something at 5.59pm.
I think you'll find that the medical condition they suffer from is known as 'lazyfurkeratitis'.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:46 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
If you get to a small shop that "opens" at ten, they will turn up at ten past and open five minutes later. It's the "laid back" thing.
Read lazy f****ers!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:35 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Welcome to Queensland, the Florida of Australia.

The average Australian wouldn't think about moving to Queensland until their mid-sixties. In fact, even the people in their mid-sixties complain about the closing times there.

My father is around that age, and he has to travel there regularly with work. There have been plenty of times when he's gone out for dinner at 7pm, only to find NOTHING open!!
We have the same problems here in Cleveland - especially the bevi shops

Doesn't affect us so much the fact that everything shuts early as we have 3 kids and no babysitters anyway

I find that customer service here is excellent (most of the time) - the post offices are an exception to the rule (god they are so rude)
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:38 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife's maternal grandmother's sister (so her great aunt I suppose) still lives in London but occasionally comes to Australia to visit her sister.

The aunt is reasonably well-off (retired) and loves to travel (she's been the world over) and shop.

When she was last here she said that whilst there's a few good shops around in Melbourne she thinks that the general standard is not very high and she can't believe how early most of them shut relative to other cities/countries in the world.

If you like good shopping (range, diversity, quality, opening hours) Australia is not the place to be.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:45 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

What i DO like about Australia is that you can wear what the heck you want and nobody gives a toss

Some of the locals........
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:11 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Local law is you have to stay open till advertised time. If not the authorities will jump on you big time
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps you should report them. The owner may not even know that the shop is closing half an hour early. That is really cheeky.

When I was younger I worked in a shop for a while and we would start cashing the till about 10 minutes before closing, but we would still serve people after that. We would tell people we were shutting in 5 minutes, but we often got people who didn't think it applied to them. At 5pm closing we'd start turning the lights off and ask if we could help them with anything before they LEAVE. Sometimes it still didn't work and we'd have to be rude and say, "We're all going home now and unless you want to be shut in the shop all night we'll see you tomorrow."
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:23 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

For anyone wanting to brew their own beer, try this link:

http://www.lemis.com/grog/brewing/cheapbeer.html

This guys got it down to a fine art, and doesn't have to worry about silly closing times....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Shops close at 5pm on Saturdays here.

My wife, at 4:50pm, told me I was cooking dinner, and what to cook.

We didn't have what we needed, and my first thought was, shops shut soon.... my second thought was ... this thread !!

4:58 I arrived at the shop, apprehensive, but.... it was still open

5:03, I had what I needed, and was leaving the shop, and noticed that no one else was being allowed in.

Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:55 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Qld, stuffed one one day, worse the next. What a sheethole!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Evelin
true, were I work twice a week, the girls get out not one minute later than 6pm. We close at 5.45. Some girls refuse to prepare food after 5pm (eg Sandwich), some won't sell you anything after 5.30. On my shift we don't do it and never leave before 6pm because it is not possible when the shop is open until 5.45. I always say how is it when you go to Coles? They still let you buy something at 5.59pm.
Because Coles know how to make money?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprintman
Do you post the same thing on every thread?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:59 pm
Banned

Can't help but tell the truth. Don't like it then take a hike
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by SNH
Welcome to Queensland, the Florida of Australia.

The average Australian wouldn't think about moving to Queensland until their mid-sixties. In fact, even the people in their mid-sixties complain about the closing times there.
Did you know that only 15% of Brisbanes population is over 60+, but down in Sydney & Melbourne theirs are both 16%.

Even comparing the entire state: QLD is 17% compared to NSW & Victoria at 18% for each of them.

Tasmania however, has 20% being 60 and over.

Actually, looking at all the capital cities, Brisbane has the fewest older people, as a %.

However, looking at it from a state wide perspective, WA just beats QLD into 2nd place, for the fewest older people.

Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sprintman
What are your reasons for that ?

And do you mean the entire State or just certain areas ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.