Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK versus Oz : Genuine Non Racist Comparison

UK versus Oz : Genuine Non Racist Comparison

Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK versus Oz : Genuine Non Racist Comparison

Originally Posted by kporte
All quality newspapers there then!!!
And all by far the biggest selling newspapers, read by the majority of the nation by choice.[/QUOTE]

Yes, true, but by no means of any quality whatsoever!!! I did read The Guardian story though, liked the comment at the end about the UK manager who approved the anti french cartoon....."A spokeswoman for Jet2.Com said that Mr Meeson loved France and had a holiday home there, although its whereabouts were not being advertised - for obvious reasons." lmao
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Understandable point of view, I just have always had a chip on my shoulder with bullies, and I consider overt racists as bullies. Some of the racism here, particularly some verbal terms, is not meant in a vicious sense, I accept that, but it is still not acceptable to openly seperate cultures and creeds and thereby creating division.
Well somehow our approach to it seems to work as successfully as anywhere else.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

And all by far the biggest selling newspapers, read by the majority of the nation by choice.
Yes, true, but by no means of any quality whatsoever!!! I did read The Guardian story though, liked the comment at the end about the UK manager who approved the anti french cartoon....."A spokeswoman for Jet2.Com said that Mr Meeson loved France and had a holiday home there, although its whereabouts were not being advertised - for obvious reasons." lmao[/QUOTE]

But the fact the papers are the biggest sellers and have these opinions mean that the readership does too.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Well somehow our approach to it seems to work as successfully as anywhere else.
True, I gather Canberra is going to be culturally twinned with Tehran!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Understandable point of view, I just have always had a chip on my shoulder with bullies, and I consider overt racists as bullies. Some of the racism here, particularly some verbal terms, is not meant in a vicious sense, I accept that, but it is still not acceptable to openly seperate cultures and creeds and thereby creating division.
I do not understand. I found it seemed to be a national sport to some people in the UK to tick off each nation and its failings, often in one sitting, overtly and often. I had never heard so many opinions about other nations failings until I lived there. And the continuous whining from some about Paki's and other immigrants just meant I could not even talk to some people. I actually think Australians might be slightly more positive about other places.

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 12th 2010 at 12:32 am.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:31 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Yes, true, but by no means of any quality whatsoever!!! I did read The Guardian story though, liked the comment at the end about the UK manager who approved the anti french cartoon....."A spokeswoman for Jet2.Com said that Mr Meeson loved France and had a holiday home there, although its whereabouts were not being advertised - for obvious reasons." lmao
But the fact the papers are the biggest sellers and have these opinions mean that the readership does too.[/QUOTE]

Ah...well not sure I agree with that. It depends on the demographics of who is buying and reading those gossip, oh sorry, news papers! They appeal to popularist opinions and do not always report factual news, often just pandering to the uninformed masses. Simple theory and obviously quite profitable, but just because The Sun thinks we all think the French are 'lazy frogs' does not mean they are right.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by fish.01
I do not understand. I found it seemed to be a national sport to some people in the UK to tick off each nation and its failings, often in one sitting, overtly and often. I had never heard so many opinions about other nations failings until I lived there. I actually think Australians might be slightly more positive about other places.
Different times and different places. The one simple comparison which is similar between UK and Australia is that both are islands. Both value their independance but only the UK has to contend with european inputs/restrictions to their economy. Also, bear in mind history, most of the european countries have been at war with each other at some point in their history which also causes nationalistic tensions.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:36 am
Account Closed

But the fact the papers are the biggest sellers and have these opinions mean that the readership does too.
Ah...well not sure I agree with that. It depends on the demographics of who is buying and reading those gossip, oh sorry, news papers! They appeal to popularist opinions and do not always report factual news, often just pandering to the uninformed masses. Simple theory and obviously quite profitable, but just because The Sun thinks we all think the French are 'lazy frogs' does not mean they are right.[/QUOTE]

People buy a newspaper they agree with. Newspapers such as the Sun have massive influence come election time. Make no mistake, people buy a newspaper that agrees with their politics, especially the uninformed masses.
All these newspapers report factual news, with their own spin of course. Every newspaper does this, regardless of quality. When you read a newspaper, any newspaper, you are reading news from the political viewpoint of the paper.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Ah...well not sure I agree with that. It depends on the demographics of who is buying and reading those gossip, oh sorry, news papers! They appeal to popularist opinions and do not always report factual news, often just pandering to the uninformed masses. Simple theory and obviously quite profitable, but just because The Sun thinks we all think the French are 'lazy frogs' does not mean they are right.
People buy a newspaper they agree with. Newspapers such as the Sun have massive influence come election time. Make no mistake, people buy a newspaper that agrees with their politics, especially the uninformed masses.
All these newspapers report factual news, with their own spin of course. Every newspaper does this, regardless of quality. When you read a newspaper, any newspaper, you are reading news from the political viewpoint of the paper.[/QUOTE]

Can't disagree with any of that!!
Well, actually I can!! Not ALL reports are factual in some of the tabloid newspapers. Supposition and gossip is libelous and has been proven to be costly to some of them!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:55 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Different times and different places. The one simple comparison which is similar between UK and Australia is that both are islands. Both value their independance but only the UK has to contend with european inputs/restrictions to their economy. Also, bear in mind history, most of the european countries have been at war with each other at some point in their history which also causes nationalistic tensions.
No distinction because Afeurasia is an island too.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand. When I first went to the UK I thought it was the most racist place I had ever been. But over time I learnt it wasn't everybody and that I couldn't tar the whole nation as racist.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

True, I gather Canberra is going to be culturally twinned with Tehran!!
Wouldnt surprise me, Canberra will twin with wherever is PC these days. Nara, Bali, Beijing - they did dump Versailles a few years ago though (when we had an altercation with the French boat)
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by WillBlack
No distinction because Afeurasia is an island too.
Sorry, in the words of Pauline Hanson, "Please explain?"
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:39 am
Account Closed

All these newspapers report factual news, with their own spin of course. Every newspaper does this, regardless of quality. When you read a newspaper, any newspaper, you are reading news from the political viewpoint of the paper.
Well, actually I can!! Not ALL reports are factual in some of the tabloid newspapers. Supposition and gossip is libelous and has been proven to be costly to some of them![/QUOTE]

I never said all reports were factual, I said all the papers report factual news.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Well, actually I can!! Not ALL reports are factual in some of the tabloid newspapers. Supposition and gossip is libelous and has been proven to be costly to some of them!
I never said all reports were factual, I said all the papers report factual news.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...indeed you did!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.