UK TV in Aus

Old Aug 28th 2018, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK TV in Aus

hi everyone

Does anyone have any recommendations for Internet TV that would stream me all UK channels? I used to have a box but it packed up a couple of years ago.

thanks

Barry
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TV in Aus

A home theatre PC running Windows 10 - the Intel Nuc is perfect - about $350. There are cheaper options

A DNS redirect- smart DNS Proxy is working - I paid USD35 for 2 years

A decent internet connection

Boom - every UK outfit streams - we were watching Who Do You Think You Are on BBC iplayer last night

There are other, more comprehensive threads on here with more info

Enjoy
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:38 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a smartDNS/VPN to get past the Beeb geoblocking, preferably one that keeps things up to date (since the Beeb seems to regularly have a fit and try and block known sites).

You'll then need something to access iPlayer. Personally I'd say kodi, with the appropriate add-on, since its relatively cheap and easy to source (I've a Rasp Pi) running it). This will also allow you to do many other things.

The only other limit is the Turnbull epitaph, the NBN and what could be lower than acceptable bandwidth. Since you are at the end of a very long pipe and any packet error means a long delay to request a new packet and get it, you need enough bandwidth that it doesn't stall. That's particularly true of live TV, where the buffering is significantly less.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 12:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
You'll need a smartDNS/VPN to get past the Beeb geoblocking, preferably one that keeps things up to date (since the Beeb seems to regularly have a fit and try and block known sites).

You'll then need something to access iPlayer. Personally I'd say kodi, with the appropriate add-on, since its relatively cheap and easy to source (I've a Rasp Pi) running it). This will also allow you to do many other things.

The only other limit is the Turnbull epitaph, the NBN and what could be lower than acceptable bandwidth. Since you are at the end of a very long pipe and any packet error means a long delay to request a new packet and get it, you need enough bandwidth that it doesn't stall. That's particularly true of live TV, where the buffering is significantly less.
The BBC iplayer app in Kodi is shit. Kodi is good for many other streams though

The reason I like using a HTPC for streaming UK channels is that they are just webpages in Edge or Chrome - no messing about. Can't get iplayer on my Nvidia Shield

You can also download BBC iplayer content in Windows - something you can't do on a streaming box as far as I am aware
Old Aug 30th 2018, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks gents 👍