British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   UK property prices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/uk-property-prices-829293/)

jad n rich Mar 22nd 2014 5:59 am

UK property prices

Gone a little mad haven't they :blink:

Not looking to buy there, just as well:blink:l, but OMG, relative sold, had to ask them to repeat the price.

Is it just the cities? and the stock levels seem crazy low.

chris955 Mar 22nd 2014 7:38 am

Re: UK property prices

We have noticed houses now seem to be selling but prices havent really gone up that much.

old.sparkles Mar 22nd 2014 7:51 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11185167)

Not looking to buy there, just as well:blink:l, but OMG, relative sold, had to ask them to repeat the price.

Seems to be going up a fair bit - http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...edictions.html (yes I know it's the mail)

mikelincs Mar 22nd 2014 9:46 am

There are fears that the easing of pension restrictions will fuel the market even further, with people able to take their whole pension pot and invest it, many are, apparently, looking at property as an investment.

dunroving Mar 22nd 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11185167)

London and the SE is a different story from the rest of the country. Even within Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen prices are silly, but Glasgow prices still haveen't returned to the highs of 2008.

You simply can't generalise across the country, either way.

[Just realised this is my first post on the Aus boards - I noticed the thread header on the main board and assumed it was MBTTUK!]

old.sparkles Mar 22nd 2014 9:54 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11185302)
London and the SE is a different story from the rest of the country. Even within Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen prices are silly, but Glasgow prices still haveen't returned to the highs of 2008.

You simply can't generalise across the country, either way.

[Just realised this is my first post on the Aus boards - I noticed the thread header on the main board and assumed it was MBTTUK!]

Welcome to Oz DR :D

I think all the more affordable property is in the northern counties

NigelWaring Mar 22nd 2014 11:00 am

We know that Chinese Investments are pushing up Australian prices, is this happening in UK as well?

bcworld Mar 22nd 2014 11:08 am

Originally Posted by NigelWaring (Post 11185370)
We know that Chinese Investments are pushing up Australian prices, is this happening in UK as well?

I think there is a lot of European and Russian money parked in London properties...but probably not elsewhere in the UK.

paulry Mar 22nd 2014 1:54 pm

With 32% increase in property sales on last year it's not surprising house prices are going up markedly. :blink:

And 29% of sales were first time buyers.

Beoz Mar 22nd 2014 2:05 pm

Chris. Brilliant. Have you actually been buying?

Yep. Just been in UK. Friends in London and south east on good salaries having big issues. A few gazumpings going on etc. Was looking to buy myself, the house I lived in 3 years ago just sold for 38% more than it did 3 years ago. Great turn over for the owner.

Mind you, Sydney the same. Massive increases. So massive in both places. All done by forreign investors.

Love to be able to predict what will happen with this buzz in a year or 2

chris955 Mar 22nd 2014 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11185213)
Seems to be going up a fair bit - http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...edictions.html (yes I know it's the mail)

Not really huge increases across the board.

Tim65 Mar 22nd 2014 10:17 pm

Just back from uk 2 weeks ago ,can't say that property is going up in north west / wales boarder area very slow movement still. London has always been in its own bubble compared to rest of uk.

Beoz Mar 22nd 2014 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tim65 (Post 11185961)
Just back from uk 2 weeks ago ,can't say that property is going up in north west / wales boarder area very slow movement still. London has always been in its own bubble compared to rest of uk.

South east. Not just London.

roaringmouse Mar 22nd 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11185962)
South east. Not just London.

Yeah, it's a bit crazy here in the south east - and you don't really get much for your money at all.

Grayling Mar 22nd 2014 10:37 pm

Is it getting like Australia then?