Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewals in Oz

Uk passport renewals in Oz

Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk passport renewals in Oz

Hi. Obviously I'll go off to Google and find out exactly what I need to do to renew UK passports over here in Oz, but I was just wondering if anyone had any red hot tips & tricks for ensuring it all goes through quickly and painlessly.

Also, my 5yo has both UK & Oz passports (he was born in UK) that need renewing, but my 2yo doesn't have a passport yet - he was born over here and we haven't applied for UK citizenship for him yet. Thoughts? Worth the effort or just get him an Oz passport?

Cheers
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewals in Oz

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Hi. Obviously I'll go off to Google and find out exactly what I need to do to renew UK passports over here in Oz, but I was just wondering if anyone had any red hot tips & tricks for ensuring it all goes through quickly and painlessly.

Also, my 5yo has both UK & Oz passports (he was born in UK) that need renewing, but my 2yo doesn't have a passport yet - he was born over here and we haven't applied for UK citizenship for him yet. Thoughts? Worth the effort or just get him an Oz passport?

Cheers
Get everyone both without hesitation. Rules can change and change quick.

Also avoid questions at Heathrow like "why have you one child entering as a tourist - you can't leave him here - he can't stay here with you either" ..... been there done that.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 3:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Assuming you are British, other than by descent, then your 2yo is already a British Citizen and you just need to apply for their passport. That application will probably take the longest, so I would think you would want to get the Australian passport first.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Assuming you are British, other than by descent, then your 2yo is already a British Citizen and you just need to apply for their passport. That application will probably take the longest, so I would think you would want to get the Australian passport first.
I'm 100% Essex. Not sure that qualifies as British but that's what it says on my passport
Old Jul 17th 2017, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Trying to research the 2yo's situation on gov.uk. Am finding it confusing. I'm full blood British, my dad was British, I'm descended from my dad (and mum, of course), so that's means I'm Brit by descent or not?

Therefore my 2yo (who has Oz birth certificate), being descended from me, is Brit by descent or not? My wife is Ozish. When we got Oz passport for the 5yo we were in UK, and had to get Aus citizenship certificate first. GOV.UK doesn't mention this at all.. Am going over the guidance notes etc and it's not clear to me. Going to have to give them a call I think.

Last edited by Lucas_Dad; Jul 17th 2017 at 6:37 am.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 100% Essex. Not sure that qualifies as British but that's what it says on my passport
Old Jul 17th 2017, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to research the 2yo's situation on gov.uk. Am finding it confusing. I'm full blood British, my dad was British, I'm descended from my dad (and mum, of course), so that's means I'm Brit by descent or not?

Therefore my 2yo (who has Oz birth certificate), being descended from me, is Brit by descent or not? My wife is Ozish. When we got Oz passport for the 5yo we were in UK, and had to get Aus citizenship certificate first. GOV.UK doesn't mention this at all.. Am going over the guidance notes etc and it's not clear to me. Going to have to give them a call I think.
Australia and the UK have different requirements. Your baby doesn't need a UK citizenship certificate.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._44_03.17_.pdf - Table of supporting documents and

Baby's first UK Passport, what you need to know.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born in Britain to parents who were British, then you are classed as British otherwise than by descent. That means you can pass your British citizenship on to any children you have who are born overseas. i.e. your baby born in Australia.

Your baby born in Australia has a different class of British citizenship to you. He is classed as British by descent and he will not be able to automatically pass British citizenship onto any of HIS children who are not born in Britain. Unlike your 5 year-old, who will.

Last edited by NickyC; Jul 17th 2017 at 11:39 am.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Australia and the UK have different requirements. Your baby doesn't need a UK citizenship certificate.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._44_03.17_.pdf - Table of supporting documents and

Baby's first UK Passport, what you need to know.
That's great, thanks. I'd found a similar guidance booklet, titled as per your link plus 'from outside of the UK'. I'll read them in conjunction. The 'baby's first passport' is handy too. Cheers
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you were born in Britain to parents who were British, then you are classed as British otherwise than by descent. That means you can pass your British citizenship on to any children you have who are born overseas. i.e. your baby born in Australia.

Your baby born in Australia has a different class of British citizenship to you. He is classed as British by descent and he will not be able to automatically pass British citizenship onto any of HIS children who are not born in Britain. Unlike your 5 year-old, who will.
AH. Got it. Perfect explanation. Thanks. Why can't the gov.uk bods put it that simply on their websites?!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 1:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's very easy. My eldest did hers the other month, got the passport back in a couple of weeks. Must get around to getting the others done whilst we have the money available.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's very easy. My eldest did hers the other month, got the passport back in a couple of weeks. Must get around to getting the others done whilst we have the money available.
Thanksh Mish Moneypenny . Fingers crossed all easy for us too. I'm a full time dad = income $0 (but $1,000,000 job satisfaction) but wife looks set for a tax refund this year so hoping we can afford to get ourselves all sorted too.

How did you get yours back so quickly? I'm reading that we still have to post stuff back to UK, which takes a couple of weeks itself, plus processing, plus return postage time..?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanksh Mish Moneypenny . Fingers crossed all easy for us too. I'm a full time dad = income $0 (but $1,000,000 job satisfaction) but wife looks set for a tax refund this year so hoping we can afford to get ourselves all sorted too.

How did you get yours back so quickly? I'm reading that we still have to post stuff back to UK, which takes a couple of weeks itself, plus processing, plus return postage time..?
Sorry a couple of weeks from notification of application's arrival at wherever it is they go. So processing and return was two weeks. But from memory it took less than a week to get there.