Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK Nova the simple way to use???

Wikiposts

UK Nova the simple way to use???

Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nova the simple way to use???

Originally Posted by annqldau
Must admit haven't heard of the Mighty Bosh is it of similar humour?
It's not filthy like Nighty Night but very surreal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/mig...sh/index.shtml
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:36 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

will keep an eye out for it renth on UKNova
Old Feb 16th 2006, 7:43 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

nned some helps guys and gals. fed up of sitting like a right sad pap in the office watching my tv shows on the computer. how do i get the avi file onto a dvd so I can watch it on my TV in comfort with a nice class of houghtons white burgandy?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
nned some helps guys and gals. fed up of sitting like a right sad pap in the office watching my tv shows on the computer. how do i get the avi file onto a dvd so I can watch it on my TV in comfort with a nice class of houghtons white burgandy?
If you are bored and want a hobby that will take up a lot of time, you can learn all about it here. http://www.ifoedit.com/ Will take you about 3 days to figure it all out. It also takes a long time to convert from divx format to mpeg2 so it will tie up your pc a lot. Its so much hassle, I doubt if you will do more than a few, I certainly couldn't be bothered doing corrie every other night. My wife watches coronation St all the time and I notice the quality is often pretty ropey, so you probably would have trouble re-encoding it anyway.

There are two simpler alternatives

Buy a dvd player that will play DivX files, so you just need to burn them onto a dvd as a data file. I haven't tried this, so can't tell you how successful it is.

I would recommend you buy a video card for your pc that has a video output. You can then just run a cable for the video and audio directly to one of your TV AV inputs, or buy a wireless video sender from dick smiths. Actually, I would recommend jaycar because you will need adapters and things to make up the cables. They sell everything you need and are cheaper usually.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by extrameant
If you are bored and want a hobby that will take up a lot of time, you can learn all about it here. http://www.ifoedit.com/ Will take you about 3 days to figure it all out. It also takes a long time to convert from divx format to mpeg2 so it will tie up your pc a lot. Its so much hassle, I doubt if you will do more than a few, I certainly couldn't be bothered doing corrie every other night. My wife watches coronation St all the time and I notice the quality is often pretty ropey, so you probably would have trouble re-encoding it anyway.

There are two simpler alternatives

Buy a dvd player that will play DivX files, so you just need to burn them onto a dvd as a data file. I haven't tried this, so can't tell you how successful it is.

I would recommend you buy a video card for your pc that has a video output. You can then just run a cable for the video and audio directly to one of your TV AV inputs, or buy a wireless video sender from dick smiths. Actually, I would recommend jaycar because you will need adapters and things to make up the cables. They sell everything you need and are cheaper usually.
I use DivxToDVD and CopyToDVD - both by the same company - one click conversion and burn. Point the program at the divx, click convert and about two hours later (if it's a movie rip) or an hour later (if it's a TV ep rip), your DVD is ready.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I am totally addicted. I'm in Europe for nine days and wringing my hands over what I can't download.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:44 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Hutch, are these the same administrators as was the old Suprnova.org?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hutch, are these the same administrators as was the old Suprnova.org?
Of which site mate ?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I am totally addicted. I'm in Europe for nine days and wringing my hands over what I can't download.
Just remote in and leave it going. I was in Oz for two months and used my nice big UK pipe to download somewhere in the region of 50Gb of 'stuff'
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:33 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Of which site mate ?
www.suprnova.org
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:58 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it does, in theory.... but you'll notice that speeds change all the time because of people coming on/offline, changing their own speeds.... what you are setting is maximums, but you can't guarantee that they'll be reached, either up or down. In general, having a high upload WILL slow a download; having a high download may or may not slow upload or other downloads.
If one wants to achieve optimum results one has to monitor the bloody thing like air traffic control but as far as "set it and walk away" I like Azureus better than BitTornado.
As to NAT -- are you using a firewall/router? Here in the US the most common brand is Linksys.
Hi Amy In Amsterdam already?? I have a NAT error myself. The portforwarding thing is proving difficult as I can't get the necessary stuff off my computer. Apparently I need to call our ISP?!
Yes our router is Linksys. And we have firewall. Any helpful hints??? Only if you can find the time. I can wait. Have fun in Europe, both of you. Take care! I read you had been to the consulate and it was closed
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:17 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

My iso little britain 3 was total waste of 3 days downloading won't play or convert.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Apparently I need to call our ISP?!
Yes our router is Linksys. And we have firewall.
You only need to call the ISP if they are blocking certain ports, and I don't think they are blocking the usual bit torrent ports. You need the number of the port you're using (it's in the configuration of Azureus or whatever client you have) and then you need to log in to the router.

In the router there should be a menu for "Port Forwarding". It might be hiding under "Advanced." You would enter the port number, then the IP address of your PC, which you can get via ipconfig.

If you look at "Status" on the router, then it should show the WAN (ISP side) and the LAN (your house) address. It's the LAN address that you need to enter into the port forwarding menu.

If you google about a bit, for "port forwarding" and Linksys there should be some screenshots on how to port forward.

*If* your ISP is blocking ports, you're within your rights to call them and ask them which ones. Most ISPs try to block port 80, which is the standard for Web sites. But they usually won't block others.

Hope this helps..... it's time for bed here!

Amy in A'dam.

Oh PS -- if you have Windows Firewall enabled, turn the bloody thing off as it's more trouble than it's worth. That's what might be blocking the port.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:30 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to call the ISP if they are blocking certain ports, and I don't think they are blocking the usual bit torrent ports. You need the number of the port you're using (it's in the configuration of Azureus or whatever client you have) and then you need to log in to the router.

In the router there should be a menu for "Port Forwarding". It might be hiding under "Advanced." You would enter the port number, then the IP address of your PC, which you can get via ipconfig.

If you look at "Status" on the router, then it should show the WAN (ISP side) and the LAN (your house) address. It's the LAN address that you need to enter into the port forwarding menu.

If you google about a bit, for "port forwarding" and Linksys there should be some screenshots on how to port forward.

*If* your ISP is blocking ports, you're within your rights to call them and ask them which ones. Most ISPs try to block port 80, which is the standard for Web sites. But they usually won't block others.

Hope this helps..... it's time for bed here!

Amy in A'dam.

Oh PS -- if you have Windows Firewall enabled, turn the bloody thing off as it's more trouble than it's worth. That's what might be blocking the port.
Go to bed this instant wench Thanks for the useful info, hun. I'll give it a shot.
p.s. good luck at the consulate tomorrow

Last edited by Desdemona; Feb 20th 2006 at 11:32 am.