Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK Nova the simple way to use???

Wikiposts

UK Nova the simple way to use???

Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK Nova the simple way to use???

Ive signed up to the service yesterday but have still not had an email notification. The FAQs say I should cancel and try again with a different email adress but I cant even log on to cancel the account. has anyone else had this problem?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use Bitcomet but changed because UK Nova banned its use. I downloaded Azureus and am well chuffed with it. Took me a while to get it running properly, ie port forwarding and all that. Working perfectly now and my ratio runs consistantly at around 2.3. Would recommend Azureus.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:44 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

so do you download something every night or just every now and again???
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I saw a good thread about this on the UKNova site. If your'e watching wierd stuff that no one else wants to see but want to get your ratio up make sure you download spme crap like Match of the Day or Eastenders, even though you won't watch it and just keep it there for a few days while all the other saddoes grab it.
Who's the saddo, people watching weird stuff or people watching the "mainstream"? (I prefer to be sad....)

if you DO want to increase your ratio, there are three main ways to do it:

1) start downloading as soon as something goes up. If you're among the first to complete a leech (download) you'll be able to share more over the course of seeding (uploading). It matters not if it's something you want to watch, just get it if you think there will eventually be a load of leechers.

2) once you have downloaded a file or files, keep watching for good times to seed them (upload them). Look for shows with a low SLR (seeder-to-leecher) ratio, where the number of seeders is far less than the number of leechers. A good time for this are at the *end* of the life of the torrent (look at the last few pages of available torrents) when people realise it's now or never.

3) participate in reseed and repack requests. A reseed request means that a torrent reappears upon the request of a user -- join it. You'll see it on the front few pages of the torrent list. If you've already got it, start seeding it again. A repack is usually when several episodes of a series are bunged together for one big torrent. Make a directory/folder, stick the episodes you've got in there, and join the torrent. Even if you don't have all of the episodes, if you've got most of them, you'll leech the ones you don't have, but you'll end up seeding more than leeching.

And if you get really technically competent and addicted you can request permission to become a reseeder. If someone posts up a request for "Some Weird Show You Happen To Have" you can *create* a torrent, upload the *torrent* to UKNova, and begin reseeding.

I hope this helps simplify a bit -- I think the new vocabulary is what makes it hard in part, just as being new to any activity. seeder = uploader, leecher = downloader, torrent = coordination file that allows seeders and leechers to communicate, repack = bunging episodes into one torrent that originally were downloaded separately.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a good thread about this on the UKNova site. If your'e watching wierd stuff that no one else wants to see but want to get your ratio up make sure you download spme crap like Match of the Day or Eastenders, even though you won't watch it and just keep it there for a few days while all the other saddoes grab it.
Who's the saddo, people watching weird stuff or people watching the "mainstream"? (I prefer to be sad....)

if you DO want to increase your ratio, there are three main ways to do it:

1) start downloading as soon as something goes up. If you're among the first to complete a leech (download) you'll be able to share more over the course of seeding (uploading). It matters not if it's something you want to watch, just get it if you think there will eventually be a load of leechers.

2) once you have downloaded a file or files, keep watching for good times to seed them (upload them). Look for shows with a low SLR (seeder-to-leecher) ratio, where the number of seeders is far less than the number of leechers. A good time for this are at the *end* of the life of the torrent (look at the last few pages of available torrents) when people realise it's now or never.

3) participate in reseed and repack requests. A reseed request means that a torrent reappears upon the request of a user -- join it. You'll see it on the front few pages of the torrent list. If you've already got it, start seeding it again. A repack is usually when several episodes of a series are bunged together for one big torrent. Make a directory/folder, stick the episodes you've got in there, and join the torrent. Even if you don't have all of the episodes, if you've got most of them, you'll leech the ones you don't have, but you'll end up seeding more than leeching.

And if you get really technically competent and addicted you can request permission to become a reseeder. If someone posts up a request for "Some Weird Show You Happen To Have" you can *create* a torrent, upload the *torrent* to UKNova, and begin reseeding.

I hope this helps simplify a bit -- I think the new vocabulary is what makes it hard in part, just as being new to any activity. seeder = uploader, leecher = downloader, torrent = coordination file that allows seeders and leechers to communicate, repack = bunging episodes into one torrent that originally were downloaded separately.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:56 pm

Question Re: UK Nova the simple way to use???

Cheers for that i'm just geting my brain into gear to reread and decipher...

In the meantime another help tip, have looked in the options bit and it says transfer kb's to upload presently set at 55 do I need to change this to something preferable...and it then says whilst seeding do you want to set it at... was set at 55 also do I need to knock this down???
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:35 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by annqldau
In the meantime another help tip, have looked in the options bit and it says transfer kb's to upload presently set at 55 do I need to change this to something preferable...and it then says whilst seeding do you want to set it at... was set at 55 also do I need to knock this down???
How much upload speed do you have? 55 is rather high for a conventional home connection (assuming it's 55 kB/s).

Have you ever seen it uploading at 55 kB/s? If so, and you try to use the Internet is it very slow, or okay? If slow, then you need to lower it.

I tend to find it's download speed that I have to throttle back on if I don't want to blow my ratio. In general I don't want to download faster than 30 kB/s unless I want to finish something downloading quickly.

It truly is experimenting with upload speed, download speed, and number of simultaneous leechers from you.... and the optimal settings change all the time as people start and stop leeching and seeding. To get a really really good ratio, you have to monitor a lot; to do okay, set things conservatively (never set your download speed faster than upload).

Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How much upload speed do you have? 55 is rather high for a conventional home connection (assuming it's 55 kB/s).

Have you ever seen it uploading at 55 kB/s? If so, and you try to use the Internet is it very slow, or okay? If slow, then you need to lower it.

I tend to find it's download speed that I have to throttle back on if I don't want to blow my ratio. In general I don't want to download faster than 30 kB/s unless I want to finish something downloading quickly.

It truly is experimenting with upload speed, download speed, and number of simultaneous leechers from you.... and the optimal settings change all the time as people start and stop leeching and seeding. To get a really really good ratio, you have to monitor a lot; to do okay, set things conservatively (never set your download speed faster than upload).

YEP... computer slower...it says my download speed is 25kb to 27kb

but if I have my upload set high does that not slow my download???

Must admit Azureaus seems more user friendly than u torrent
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think it was an issue how quick it downloaded something rather than the amount downloaded vs the amount uploaded. I achieve a speed of 150kbps and I limit the upload speed whilst downloading to around 16kbps and then when it has finished downloading I change it back to unlimited. I then leave it to upload for a few weeks. On my PC it doesn't seem to change my performance whilst uploading, I just have Azureus running in the background all the time. I don't have a problem maintaining a 2.3 ratio and I download quite a bit. I find Azureus very user friendly.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:03 pm

We naievely assumed before we got here that Aus being a spread out country would have a cracking communication system...how wrong... .

In UK we had a 2.2 gb broadband, here we have 512 kb, it may be different in WA but here we are on go slow broadband.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:34 pm
Lapine Member

We naievely assumed before we got here that Aus being a spread out country would have a cracking communication system...how wrong... .
That's precisely the problem -- the longer the wires carrying a signal, assuming they're the same type of wire -- the slower the speed.

As to downloading quickly -- yes, you can do that, provided that if it takes 15 minutes to download at a very high rate of speed, you can seed (upload) for a few hours to restore your ratio.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:16 pm

We have Telstra wireless broadband and according to Azureus I have a NAT problem as my face always stays yellow.

It rambles on in Chinese about ports and things ... do you know Snowbunny font of all wisdom how to sort it in plain English???

why did i start this again... .
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:20 pm

Desptie my Nat problem something seems to have worked but still have a miserable yellow face...

easy options still wanted to sort my nat out...lol
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We have Telstra wireless broadband and according to Azureus I have a NAT problem as my face always stays yellow.

It rambles on in Chinese about ports and things ... do you know Snowbunny font of all wisdom how to sort it in plain English???

why did i start this again... .
It sounds like you need to set up your Modem/Router for Port Forwarding traffic to your Btitorrent port.

If you use Azureus theres a great wiki to help you out.

I had the same problem, I set my router up for port forwarding - same problem, I then needed to set the modem up to port forward - problem solved
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:52 pm

It sounds like you need to set up your Modem/Router for Port Forwarding traffic to your Btitorrent port.

If you use Azureus theres a great wiki to help you out.

I had the same problem, I set my router up for port forwarding - same problem, I then needed to set the modem up to port forward - problem solved
WIKI??? english please want the idiots guide to how to do so... .

Also mpeg files can they be burned to ordinary CD or does it need to be DVD?

I know I'm being dim but not a total nerd only part computer sussed. Usually just figure out how to do things myself by totally ingnoring instructions as they just do my head in hence the Azureus help page nervous breakdown... :scared: .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.