Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK Nova the simple way to use???

Wikiposts

UK Nova the simple way to use???

Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nova the simple way to use???

Originally Posted by annqldau
And i'm trying to download 1.5GB oh man! any way to speed the process up?

Typical winging pom...I wanted it now i've got it want it to go faster...LOL.
I've just started on UKnova as well. I downloaded an episode of 'Top Gear' last night & it was estimating 17 hours. I think there are a number of reasons for the slowness. Being a new user is one of them. The newer programs are restricted to slower download. You need to play around with the settings, I think the upload speed needs to be adjusted. There is a faq on this subject on the website but it is not easy reading & is complicated.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

sorry my friend, my IT knowledge is limited on these things. a watched pot never boils and all that, set it off before you go to bed and that will be a huge chunk done while you sleep. If you work leave it going and then hopefully it will be done by the time you get home. It will slow your connection down so don't expect to be able to "surf" while you download and also beware of your download limits. I am lucky with my provider that I get 10gig during the day and another 10gig per night so I never have to worry.
Hope the programme is worth it!!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's dependent on few things. Firstly your broadband connection speed, next it depends on how many are "seeding" the file you are after, the fewer seeders the slower the download.

Another thing to watch for is to limit your upload speed, because even when downloading you are senting http requests which are "uploads". So, on my Azureus I have the upload speed limited to 15k when I'm downloading, changing it to unlimited when I want to improve my ratio and the downloads have finished. So limiting the upload speed will improve your download speed.

Finally as the dowload progresses more and more connections are made and the download speeds up dramatically.

You ought to read the FAQ and fora on the UKNova site for more info.

Cheers.

Renth
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:04 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm up to 10.3% down so just keep plodding along... have changed the upload to 15 as was set at unlimited.

Will try and figure out some other things to speed it up but feel free to come up with other soloutions.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by annqldau
I'm up to 10.3% down so just keep plodding along... have changed the upload to 15 as was set at unlimited.

Will try and figure out some other things to speed it up but feel free to come up with other soloutions.

Just to help you out other torrent sites I use a lot are:

1) www.ezetvefnet.org. This is excellent for US tv. I am on series 2, e 10 for lost. Just started new 24 , series 5 e1-4. You are normally a series ahead from Uk and Aus.

2) www.torrentspy.com

3) I find if torretn download is running slow, i sometimes take a look for another seeded torrent elsewhere. this one might be better.

To check you setting you should take a look at downloading latest episode of lsot or 24, these run download 80kbps on my system. These are pretty well seeded and probaly most downloaded shows.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:55 pm

Cheers will have a look.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

had probs with my broadband connection today and phoned iinet. very helpful guy said that my filters on my phone line were rubbish and it would improve my download speed if I purchased some better ones, C10's which are available from Telstra shops. Gonna give it a try because when I unplugged my phones and my foxtel connection my download speed tripled.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
It's dependent on few things. Firstly your broadband connection speed, next it depends on how many are "seeding" the file you are after, the fewer seeders the slower the download.

Another thing to watch for is to limit your upload speed, because even when downloading you are senting http requests which are "uploads". So, on my Azureus I have the upload speed limited to 15k when I'm downloading, changing it to unlimited when I want to improve my ratio and the downloads have finished. So limiting the upload speed will improve your download speed.

Finally as the dowload progresses more and more connections are made and the download speeds up dramatically.

You ought to read the FAQ and fora on the UKNova site for more info.

Cheers.

Renth
Right. I've downloaded my 1st program. What do i do now to improve my ratio? How do I make this program available for upload? Myabe it's me but i don't find the UKnova site very user friendly!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Right. I've downloaded my 1st program. What do i do now to improve my ratio? How do I make this program available for upload? Myabe it's me but i don't find the UKnova site very user friendly!
Most Bittorrent clientsd like Azureus will automatically start uploading your file, even as you're downloading it.

In Azureus it drops down from the top window to the bottom window. It will begin uploading providing there are people out there who want it.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by renth
Most Bittorrent clientsd like Azureus will automatically start uploading your file, even as you're downloading it.

In Azureus it drops down from the top window to the bottom window. It will begin uploading providing there are people out there who want it.
Right, I've got that bit. I'm using uTorrent which I guess is the same. What if no one uploads it, how will i increase my ratio?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Right, I've got that bit. I'm using uTorrent which I guess is the same. What if no one uploads it, how will i increase my ratio?
I saw a good thread about this on the UKNova site. If your'e watching wierd stuff that no one else wants to see but want to get your ratio up make sure you download spme crap like Match of the Day or Eastenders, even though you won't watch it and just keep it there for a few days while all the other saddoes grab it.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:17 pm

so which is better Azureus or uTorrent for those who have used both???

The link for http://www.ezetvefnet.org/ is just bringing up a page not found, is spelt right as google not finding either???

Last edited by annqldau; Jan 19th 2006 at 7:24 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

If you're a Mac user, I'd definately recommend using Bittorrent:-

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Sara
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

mentioned in a previous thread about the phone filters. I changed them and my speed increased 4 fold.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:54 pm

not sure about the filters hubby sorted all of that... bit torrent choices choices... :scared: .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.