Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

Would some kind soul with an economics bent like to predict what the impact of this will be on Perth prices?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...et.houseprices
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Would some kind soul with an economics bent like to predict what the impact of this will be on Perth prices?

Hopefully drop 50% too.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:12 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

God im glad i sold mine back in the uk! Sold it in April and got full asking price which was far more than i expected so if anyone is getting depressed back there, there are still buyers out there!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Depends how much the banks will tighten up the previously lax/easy credit lines.

Starting already.

ie Lending multiples will shorten, supply will rise and demand fall.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an economics bent to work out that since large numbers of Brits move to Perth and buy houses there, they will not have as much money to spend.

The exchange rate is a double wammy as well as the Oz dollar strenghtens.

It can't be positive for house prices.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You don't need an economics bent to work out that since large numbers of Brits move to Perth and buy houses there, they will not have as much money to spend.

The exchange rate is a double wammy as well as the Oz dollar strenghtens.

It can't be positive for house prices.
This is what I think. If things don't go well and we end up staying in Perth then I'll need to buy - but if prices in the UK collapse and they stabilise or rise here then we might as well give up now.

Anybody offer a contrary view - i.e. that prices in Perth will continue to rise or stabilise?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I think. If things don't go well and we end up staying in Perth then I'll need to buy - but if prices in the UK collapse and they stabilise or rise here then we might as well give up now.

Anybody offer a contrary view - i.e. that prices in Perth will continue to rise or stabilise?
No chance, the same will happen in Perth, already is but the media aren't making such a big song and dance about it as in the UK. Prices already falling, loads of stock on the market. If I were renting right now I'd wait at least 12 months, probably longer and then pick up a bargain, preferably off a desperate investor who has to sell.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
No chance, the same will happen in Perth, already is but the media aren't making such a big song and dance about it as in the UK. Prices already falling, loads of stock on the market. If I were renting right now I'd wait at least 12 months, probably longer and then pick up a bargain, preferably off a desperate investor who has to sell.
You'll be selling about then won't you - on your way to The Good Life?!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

There is no way that UK house prices are going to fall 50% in 4 years, imagine the chaos that would cause the whole country would go into a meltdown

Prices are going to drop, as they will in Perth, but that figure is just ridiculous...

Makes me glad we sold our house in the UK now instead of renting it out, brought our equity to Australia where we will sit on it for a couple of years earning decent interest to see how things pan out - I can see a drop in house prices over here of around 10-15% in the next couple of years and around the same in the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of rubbish. UK Population is increasing, land available for building is decreasing. It is basic economics that rising demand and decreasing supply means price rises (in the long-term).

As for Perth, the number of people coming in is still high and land released by the government low so there won't be a big change unless the resources boom becomes more of a whimper or the government agrees to bulldoze a few forests. Okay there has been a small decrease in prices recently but it is only a correction of the stupid price rises we saw a year ago when everyone started panicing.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:35 am
(It's not my real name)

You'll be selling about then won't you - on your way to The Good Life?!
That's right, I want mine to drop 50% 'cos the one I'm buying will have dropped 50% and I'll "only" have to pay $20,000 stamp duty instead of $40,000
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:36 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by worzel
What a load of rubbish. UK Population is increasing, land available for building is decreasing. It is basic economics that rising demand and decreasing supply means price rises (in the long-term).
Sorry Worzel, I disagree. It's not about the supply and demand of housing/land, it never has been. The house price bubble has been entirely driven by cheap credit which has now dried up. It's game over.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think Perth prices will stay stagnant and possibly fall - but not as drastically as 50%. Fundamentals are sound. WA economy is growing at 7-odd % per year. Unemployment is around 3-4% ie full employment. Many people moving here and there is a dire shortage of rentals.

My opinion but ultimately, who knows?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel

As for Perth, the number of people coming in is still high and land released by the government low so there won't be a big change unless the resources boom becomes more of a whimper or the government agrees to bulldoze a few forests. Okay there has been a small decrease in prices recently but it is only a correction of the stupid price rises we saw a year ago when everyone started panicing.
Supply and demand has nothing to do with it. It is all about affordability. The UK population is increasing with third world paupers who can't afford to buy a house.

In Perth, unless wages rise significantly there is no way house prices will go up. People can't afford the increased mortgages they already have.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Sorry Worzel, I disagree. It's not about the supply and demand of housing/land, it never has been. The house price bubble has been entirely driven by cheap credit which has now dried up. It's game over.
And I'll disagree with you. I think cheap credit was only half the problem. UK has a lot of people in a small space. It's a prosperous country, and although economically in a bit of a mess at the moment, will not always be. When the economy turns round, housing demand will increase again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.