Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

God knows why this was moved to the Barbie - I'd have thought that it was ideal fodder for those planning on or actually making the move to Australia.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
I think the dire shortage of rentals is about to change as all the people trying to unload their investment properties find they are unable to do so and make them available for letting again.

Yes there will be a strong demand for houses in WA but with mortgages harder to get and with high interest rates the prices can only go one way and it's already started
This will have a huge influence on the rise and fall of property, anywhere in the world.

Every institute in the banking sector is exposed to bad debt, and the base rate set by the reserve, is not always an indicator for banks to follow...
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

I think this one should go in the Alian having my baby catagory

may seem usefull if you are buying uk property
may seem usefull if you have just sold a uk property
and want to gloat
Or you are all bitter and twisted and quite aware some
people have to validate ther visas due to a slower
market in uk so why not wind them up a bit

Just looking for an artical on Aussie house prices to tripple and
and uk house prices to be given away as thay are going to
drop 100% and over the next 8 years and the whole population of
the uk have moved to Poland
Old Jun 9th 2008, 2:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK houses to fall 50% in 4 years...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And I'll disagree with you. I think cheap credit was only half the problem. UK has a lot of people in a small space. It's a prosperous country, and although economically in a bit of a mess at the moment, will not always be. When the economy turns round, housing demand will increase again.
Agreed.

The need for housing was there before the credit crunch, continued through the credit crunch, and - if anything - is now even worse as a result of the credit crunch (partly due to people having to downsize into smaller properties and/or rental accommodation).

Whether or not these houses are "in demand" from a purely economic perspective, is another thing entirely. If they are too expensive, people won't buy and they won't be "in demand" - but in real terms, they will still be needed.

It's the difference between economic jargon and practical reality.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Ive heard that the Australian Government is going to start 'giving away' new build 4+2 beachfront homes in a bid to stop the worrying increase in whinging pom homesellers migrating from the UK with an uncharacteristic (and downright UnAustralian) frown on their faces.Apparently if your UK house loses 50% in value you are automatically eligible for the scheme.The news has been welcomed by everyone who believes this thread to be of any value whatsoever, IMHO.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:33 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris1386
Ive heard that the Australian Government is going to start 'giving away' new build 4+2 beachfront homes in a bid to stop the worrying increase in whinging pom homesellers migrating from the UK with an uncharacteristic (and downright UnAustralian) frown on their faces.Apparently if your UK house loses 50% in value you are automatically eligible for the scheme.The news has been welcomed by everyone who believes this thread to be of any value whatsoever, IMHO.
alibleedinlooya.....

mind you ,its going to pi55 down tomorrow
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

These statements make me smile. With all the technology we have they cannot even predict the weather tomorrow with any accuracy let alone the property market over the next few months.

Houses rise in price and houses fall in price they always have. I agree that in the U.K it is driven by need. O.K so 3rd world people cannot buy but many people can and they do buy second homes and rent back to the social e.t.c, yes the market wains but it will probably not crash.
Take my first house and we all can relate to this. I bought it for 35k in December 1994 and it is valued today at 160k, even if it lost 50% then it is still worth 80k which gives a margin of 45K. This is at the worse and in 10 years it probably has climbed way beyond that.The problem lies with people who constantly remorgtage out of want and not need, they are driven by wanting more and more and have borrowed up to the hilt, o.k some people really are hard up and circumstance forces bad situations but for most it has been greed. I am not well off and am not gloating but again peoples greed will have been a big factor in their downfall.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
These statements make me smile. With all the technology we have they cannot even predict the weather tomorrow with any accuracy let alone the property market over the next few months.

Houses rise in price and houses fall in price they always have. I agree that in the U.K it is driven by need. O.K so 3rd world people cannot buy but many people can and they do buy second homes and rent back to the social e.t.c, yes the market wains but it will probably not crash.
Take my first house and we all can relate to this. I bought it for 35k in December 1994 and it is valued today at 160k, even if it lost 50% then it is still worth 80k which gives a margin of 45K. This is at the worse and in 10 years it probably has climbed way beyond that.The problem lies with people who constantly remorgtage out of want and not need, they are driven by wanting more and more and have borrowed up to the hilt, o.k some people really are hard up and circumstance forces bad situations but for most it has been greed. I am not well off and am not gloating but again peoples greed will have been a big factor in their downfall.
Totally agree. Remortgaging for any other purpose than renovations/extensions or to purchase other property is just plain ridiculous. This has been a huge problem in the US. Plenty of people in Australia do it too ........
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris1386
Well that's typical. With global warming and the odd cyclone, we all know that these houses are going to be washed away in the next 10 years.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree. Remortgaging for any other purpose than renovations/extensions or to purchase other property is just plain ridiculous. This has been a huge problem in the US. Plenty of people in Australia do it too ........
Hi Amazulu.

I suppose it's a world wide problem and again some people get sort of forced into it as life deals some cruel blows. I do also blame the banks e.t.c for pushing "it" upon us, not everyone is strong enough to abstain.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:34 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Would some kind soul with an economics bent like to predict what the impact of this will be on Perth prices?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...et.houseprices
Be great if they did and the $ strengthens more against the £
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Be great if they did and the $ strengthens more against the £
This thread nudged me into having a look at what we could get in the UK if we sold our house here for it's current value and converted it into GBP.

I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:16 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

This thread nudged me into having a look at what we could get in the UK if we sold our house here for it's current value and converted it into GBP.

I was pleasantly surprised.
Exactly and property is more durable in the UK so a much better investment.
If I could live mortgage free in the UK it would be a very attractive proposition.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
How do they afford them now?
Well people like me don't.

Household income about $105K, $200K deposit to put on a house and yet a house price above $450K seems very painful in terms of mortgage payments.

That's what I don't understand - I'm not particularly poor. And yet paying a mortgage of this size would pour untold misery on us each month.

Just saying that fundamentals are sound does not, I think, mean that house prices won't fall.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 12:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Well people like me don't.

Household income about $105K, $200K deposit to put on a house and yet a house price above $450K seems very painful in terms of mortgage payments.

That's what I don't understand - I'm not particularly poor. And yet paying a mortgage of this size would pour untold misery on us each month.

Just saying that fundamentals are sound does not, I think, mean that house prices won't fall.
I have every sympathy for anyone struggling to get by, I was there once. But I am not looking at personal views nor just the current situation. I am taking a very high level view here. A house in Perth has risen by about 400% in 10 years from what people tell me. In the UK the average price of a house has also exceeded inflation by a large margin over 10-20 years. While there will be peaks and troughs, I cannot see any reason why in the long-term prices won't carry on growing faster than inflation with populations growing and land being used up. There is a question of affordability but new entries to the market will have to start with a unit as is quite common in the UK. Others will do a couple of years in the mines to build a deposit. Some will share with mates. Some will go for the shared-ownership that is only just starting to take off here. We also have high interest rates at the moment but that should end at some point making mortgage payments smaller (though probably houses more expensive at the same time).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.