Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

All the dust has got nothing to do with Volcano's, Arsenal were cleaning out their trophy cabinet

MIL due to arrive Friday, I hope that 18 month comment wasn't a joke
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
I have a feeling that if it goes on for too much longer, flights will start to fly below the ash, it will just use much more fuel, and take longer. They cannot stay grounded for weeks/months.

Saying that, there's a bit of hope, a Thomson 767 has just shown up on radar heading into Glasgow.
Scottish airports restarting this evening, and some of the northern England airports will be opening as well, HOWEVER there is nothing to say that the wind won't change and upset everything again
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Scottish airports restarting this evening, and some of the northern England airports will be opening as well, HOWEVER there is nothing to say that the wind won't change and upset everything again

Just watching late night Sky news here in Singapore; Ryanair won't even begin to resume flying until 1pm (UK time) on Monday!

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryana...ns-to-continue

I'm due to fly from Singapore to JFK New York on Monday via Frankfurt....spouse flies 2 hours later from Singapore to Zurich (both with Singapore Airlines). I wonder if FRA and ZCH will be open....not too fussed if I have to delay the journey by a day or two though TBH.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just watching late night Sky news here in Singapore; Ryanair won't even begin to resume flying until 1pm (UK time) on Monday!

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryana...ns-to-continue

I'm due to fly from Singapore to JFK New York on Monday via Frankfurt....spouse flies 2 hours later from Singapore to Zurich (both with Singapore Airlines). I wonder if FRA and ZCH will be open....not too fussed if I have to delay the journey by a day or two though TBH.
Apparently under Irish law, the airline is responsible for all compensation rather than the insurance company, so Irish airlines have some rather different rules and policies. Thats the basis of it anyway - very complicated situation and all down to the laws of the different countries involved. I'm not even going to try and expain it as it sounds horribly complicated, but basically it seems Irish airlines have to err a long way on the side of caution or be liable for a big bill.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:59 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
We are due to fly back to London on Sunday evening (Iberia). Hope it's all sorted by then and not hovering over Spain.

Although a few extra days of warmth here wouldn't be bad. I'll miss a few days of work too.

Sorry to hear your validation flight woes BS. Hope it turns out well in the end.

Happy Birthday for Monday.
Sorry to hear that you're stuck in Blighty, BS

We're due to fly back to London via Kuala Lumpur tonight. Malaysia Airways told me yesterday that the SYD to KUL leg is still on but they couldn't say if the KUL to LHR portion of the trip would go ahead. The latest news indicates that all flights will be grounded until at least Monday so it looks like we'll have another stopover in Malaysia.

Alfresco, you might as well book another safari
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stevenglish
All the dust has got nothing to do with Volcano's, Arsenal were cleaning out their trophy cabinet

MIL due to arrive Friday, I hope that 18 month comment wasn't a joke
So the ash is a + for you...
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:45 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

My 12 year old is in Scotland with family!! Hoping he still gets to come home on Wednesday!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well the third flight I booked got me to Singapore just after midnight last night, local time. My Mum is not at all well (has had an op and is in ITU) so I felt I had to start the journey and hope that I can get a flight when they start up again, whenever that may be.

Of course there'll be a huge backlog but I'll go via wherever I need to if it gets me there.

Changi Airport is full of bewildered Poms. Thankfully I have tons of lovely friends in Singapore and numerous offers of beds.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:42 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I've just spoken to Emirates and they said there is no flights from DXB to Gatwick until Tuesday 20th - and then there's a 2 week wait for an economy seat!!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
I've just spoken to Emirates and they said there is no flights from DXB to Gatwick until Tuesday 20th - and then there's a 2 week wait for an economy seat!!
Qantas are offering rebooking for anyone with tickets up to and including the 22nd.....
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:20 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well the third flight I booked got me to Singapore just after midnight last night, local time. My Mum is not at all well (has had an op and is in ITU) so I felt I had to start the journey and hope that I can get a flight when they start up again, whenever that may be.

Of course there'll be a huge backlog but I'll go via wherever I need to if it gets me there.

Changi Airport is full of bewildered Poms. Thankfully I have tons of lovely friends in Singapore and numerous offers of beds.
Good luck been wondering how you were getting on.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider

Fingers crossed for you.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Qantas are offering rebooking for anyone with tickets up to and including the 22nd.....
Note that this doesn't apply to people travelling on FF award tickets...they are only able to re-book as and when FF seats become available...probably some time in July! A pretty awful policy.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

We're due to fly out to Australia on the 22nd. I just hope it all clears up by then!

On the plus side at least we're not stranded with no where to go.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bcworld
Note that this doesn't apply to people travelling on FF award tickets...they are only able to re-book as and when FF seats become available...probably some time in July! A pretty awful policy.
God thats pretty awful - hadn't looked at that as I am on a paid ticket this time. I shall lose a fair bit financially if I'm stuck, due to losing shift pay at work, but other than that I really wouldn't mind being stuck here for longer. I can find somewhere to stay easily enough, not like I was stranded in Singapore or Hong kong, and tere's nothing work can do about it! First person ever at our place to phone in and say she'll be late due to a volcano

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.