Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:23 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Bit like "The Mob" maybe?
They do behave a bit like that. I'm guessing that the outcome will depend on how many of their own have been stranded
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I bet they still have to wait an age at the carousel.
If its a BA flight they will be lucky to get thier bags.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:29 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It was crazy at the KL Central Airport MAS booking hall this morning. It had an air of desparation akin to the Saigon evacuation with only one chopper remaining on the roof . Got it on video, will post it on youtube later on. Looks like the earliest we'll get away now will be the 27th! ...Thinking of heading off to one of the Malaysian islands for 3 or 4 days.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - 27th! You may as well see something of Malaysia whilst you are there! You can get some good deals over there for the islands, can recommend Langkawi if you've not been before.

At least it's probably cheaper being stuck in Malaysia rather than Oz as I still think there are quite a few Ringitt to the pound!

Enjoy and hope "The Group" don't hound you too much for your extended holiday!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:19 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
If its a BA flight they will be lucky to get thier bags.
Ditto for Qantas ... I seen 2 sets of luggage delayed out of 4 ... they were visiting and didn't know better ... i.e. fly Singapore Air.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:29 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
It was crazy at the KL Central Airport MAS booking hall this morning. It had an air of desparation akin to the Saigon evacuation with only one chopper remaining on the roof . Got it on video, will post it on youtube later on. Looks like the earliest we'll get away now will be the 27th! ...Thinking of heading off to one of the Malaysian islands for 3 or 4 days.
That sounds like a very good idea. Might as well make the most of it! Have fun.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Has anyone actually told the baggage handlers they are back at work?
Thought they were still striking!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

First flight put of SYD to Europe tomorrow, I believe I heard on the news.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I phoned my airline in Manchester this morning and they moved my ticket for Sunday to tomorrow (I was originally supposed to fly home Monday just gone) Daren't tell the family just in case it all goes wrong again but it looks like I'll be home for my boy's birthday after all.

Qatar's staff in their Manchester office have been excellent, my travel agent in Melbourne was great and my insurance have said they'll pay reasonable expenses, even the car hire people only charged for the two days I'd had it because I got my flight back so karma be heaped on (from me anyway)

Qatar's Manchester office (though their Doha airport lounge is, as yet, underwhelming for non-business travellers though apparently they're building a new one)
travelinsurancedirect tid.com.au
joe at transair international (blackburn victoria) who got hardly any sleep trying to arrange people's return trips but never cut a call short (at his expense)
enterprise car hire

Hope I still love them all after I've returned home.

Good luck to everyone else in making it home safe and with some hair remaining!

C
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:12 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flip
I phoned my airline in Manchester this morning and they moved my ticket for Sunday to tomorrow (I was originally supposed to fly home Monday just gone) Daren't tell the family just in case it all goes wrong again but it looks like I'll be home for my boy's birthday after all.

Qatar's staff in their Manchester office have been excellent, my travel agent in Melbourne was great and my insurance have said they'll pay reasonable expenses, even the car hire people only charged for the two days I'd had it because I got my flight back so karma be heaped on (from me anyway)

Qatar's Manchester office (though their Doha airport lounge is, as yet, underwhelming for non-business travellers though apparently they're building a new one)
travelinsurancedirect tid.com.au
joe at transair international (blackburn victoria) who got hardly any sleep trying to arrange people's return trips but never cut a call short (at his expense)
enterprise car hire

Hope I still love them all after I've returned home.

Good luck to everyone else in making it home safe and with some hair remaining!

C
Good luck! Hope it's all straightforward from now on and you get back in time.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by CEM
That sounds like a very good idea. Might as well make the most of it! Have fun.
Thanks

We've just confirmed a booking for Tioman Island on the east coast of Malaysia. Been there before but to a different resort. That time it was one of our best ever holidays, snorkelling etc. Perfect! Catching the bus to Mersing tonight. Can't wait!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely - have fun!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by koalakim
Lovely - have fun!
Thank you!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Enjoy you lucky thing. Wish my validation trip had been scuppered at the end rather than the start.

How are Alfresco and Seasider getting on?

I had a lovely birthday in Blighty and have reorganised more or less everything for our validation trip, we will (hopefully) fly out on 24th May now.

Everybody in Australia was brilliant with reorganising hotel bookings, hire car bookings, various excursion bookings. Even my Sydney Observatory visit which was absolutely not changeable under any circumstances according to the booking conditions has been moved to another night without a quibble.

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

We're back!

Got back today at 4pm. Took since Monday morning when we arrived in Madrid.

Now I see the whole flipping world is flying everywhere as if nothing ever happened!!!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

How are Alfresco and Seasider getting on?

I had a lovely birthday in Blighty and have reorganised more or less everything for our validation trip, we will (hopefully) fly out on 24th May now.

Everybody in Australia was brilliant with reorganising hotel bookings, hire car bookings, various excursion bookings. Even my Sydney Observatory visit which was absolutely not changeable under any circumstances according to the booking conditions has been moved to another night without a quibble.

As above. Happy to be back! Glad you had a great B'day.

Thanks

We've just confirmed a booking for Tioman Island on the east coast of Malaysia. Been there before but to a different resort. That time it was one of our best ever holidays, snorkelling etc. Perfect! Catching the bus to Mersing tonight. Can't wait!
Make the most of it P & Fam.

BTW: London is still here.

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 22nd 2010 at 7:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.