Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by paulry
Hmm, my guess would be if this goes on much longer there will be many more test flights and if they also come out OK we'll be flying again, the economic impact is huge.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Hmm, my guess would be if this goes on much longer there will be many more test flights and if they also come out OK we'll be flying again, the economic impact is huge.
The few test flights are one thing, but with 20,000+ flights per day passing through the airspace it only takes one to have problems and all bets will be off again.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yeah it's possible to go overland but trains and ferries are all booked up as well, so we'll probably sit it out for now if it's extended further and check out Madrid.

Hope you're enjoying your little holiday in KL.
You'll love Madrid. My family and I spent a weekend there a couple of years ago.

In other news: Youngest son is growing increasingly distraught that he's going to miss an inset day to Thorpe park next Friday
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
I know, I've just told the kids I might not be home, now going to have to organise a birthday party from over here but all his pressies are with me.

Qatar doesn't have a plane in Manchester so if I'm to fly they'll have to have sent one from Doha about 4am UK time so at least I'll be able to check if it's en-route.

Next availability if it's cancelled is Saturday.

Joy!
I have a friend due to leave for this week to start a job flying for Qatar Airways - rather ironic that even he can't get out of the UK.....
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The few test flights are one thing, but with 20,000+ flights per day passing through the airspace it only takes one to have problems and all bets will be off again.
Agreed, and rigourous testing/extra precations would be needed. BBC now reporting UK transport sec Lord Adonis says test flights are taking place now & Air France says its first test flights went without problems.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I will say it again - the ash concentrations away from the volcano are orders of magnitude lower than within the plume, and probably much the same as exist over much of Indonesia and Borneo: aircraft there have no trouble avoiding the main plumes.

Eric Moody's 747 near disaster involved penetrating the actual plume, or very close to it.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Smile Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by Pollyana
God thats pretty awful - hadn't looked at that as I am on a paid ticket this time. I shall lose a fair bit financially if I'm stuck, due to losing shift pay at work, but other than that I really wouldn't mind being stuck here for longer. I can find somewhere to stay easily enough, not like I was stranded in Singapore or Hong kong, and tere's nothing work can do about it! First person ever at our place to phone in and say she'll be late due to a volcano
What a fab excuse Polly! Enjoy your enforced stay.I know it won`t be too much of a hardship!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Smile Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by flip
I came home to see Mum who'd had a tumour removed - thankfully she's fine.

I'm due to head back home to Melbourne, OH and the kids tomorrow so I'd be there in plenty of time for my little lad's birthday (Saturday).

Considering getting quite worrried!
Poor you! Little lad wants you home safely tho` and you can all have a special celebration a little later. Enjoy the extra time with your mum instead.Bet shes secretly pleased...................
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:19 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

There's talk now of bringing the stranded passengers home via Spain:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8628605.stm
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Finnish F-18 engine check reveals effects of volcanic dust

The Finnish air force has released images showing the effects of volcanic dust ingestion from inside the engines of a Boeing F-18 Hornet fighter, while it prepares to make inspections on several additional aircraft.

Five of the air force’s Hornets were involved in a training exercise on the morning of 15 April, just hours before the imposition of airspace restrictions due to the ash cloud spreading from a major volcanic eruption in Iceland.

One aircraft’s engines have been inspected so far using a boroscope, with melted ash clearly visible on its inside surface. The air force decided to release the images to show the potentially damaging effects of current flight activities, says chief information officer Joni Malkamäki.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Agreed, and rigourous testing/extra precations would be needed. BBC now reporting UK transport sec Lord Adonis says test flights are taking place now & Air France says its first test flights went without problems.
Even if all the test flights are problem free, there will still be a huge amount of people not prepared to get on flights just in case or even airlines not willing to try it. You only need a sudden change of wind strength and the situation changes again.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Even if all the test flights are problem free, there will still be a huge amount of people not prepared to get on flights just in case or even airlines not willing to try it. You only need a sudden change of wind strength and the situation changes again.
I for one am not willing for my family and I to get on a flight bound for the ash cloud. The only safe option seems to be to fly to a destination outside of the cloud and complete the journey by land and sea. Waiting for the outcome of the UK government's Spanish hub idea.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

UK government now considering sending the Royal Navy to pick up stranded passengers.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
UK government now considering sending the Royal Navy to pick up stranded passengers.
From where?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
From where?
Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.