Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK expats lose pension freeze appeal

UK expats lose pension freeze appeal

Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: UK expats lose pension freeze appeal

Originally Posted by kevin747
My apologies about the infinite house price rises. I was wrong about that.
However most of your posts are about the wonders of Australia eg No charge today -re dentistry.
Your tirade about the pension ruling is hillarious ie ;it does not have the usual smugness of your normal offerings.
I said it before,it is unfair,but I don't think Australia really matters to anyone in the Northern hemisphere.It is a big goldfish bowl.
Oh! I'm not bitter at all-I just don't like living in Australia.
You're not getting the wonga and you're pissed off.
Tough luck old chap
You call it a tirade to ask why some British Expats get the rises and some don't ?

And Canada is in the Northern hemisphere, or have you missed that point.

You mentioned "No charge today -re dentistry." Are you attempting to say that I have said that Dentistry is free in Australia ? It isn't, except in the cases that were mentioned in the thread about it the other day.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No Dentists Bulk Bill. You have no options but to pay or have insurance.

Unless you have a concession card, and use the Public Dental Hospitals.
It seems you may be wrong about a few things...

And as for me being "pissed off", in your words. You are a tad wrong. I am not eligible for any aged pension.
What makes you think I would be "pissed off" ?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps all the expat pensioners should go back to the UK.
Then they could start paying UK taxes again.
And get all their healthcare on the NHS.

Would the average pensioner's healthcare cost the UK more or less than indexing pensions for expats?

By deferring claiming the UK pension you can accumulate a lump sum, which includes the cost of living increase every year until you claim that lump sum and take the pension. The pension paid is at the increased rate when you do claim (not the rate when you deferred). Perhaps this is just too complicated for the DWP to freeze for expats.

http://www.ohe.org/page/knowledge/sc...x/nhs_cost.cfm

Last edited by lesleys; Mar 18th 2010 at 11:04 am. Reason: Add link
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lesleys
Or they could just move to the USA, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Turkey, or Barbados... hmmm that last one sounds OK

460,000 Expats don't get it.
390,000 Expats do get it.
10,040,000 British residents in UK do get it.

That is the main point for most people. Why do half of the Expats get it, but half don't ?
But no one is answering that bit, some just want to argue that it is all about Australia, even though it isn't. Those in Canada and South Africa don't get the increases either.

Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree, but hope you're wrong. It makes me wonder if it's worth keeping up NI payments. To balance the books a lot will happen in 25 years.
Am I right in thinking that if you leave the UK and dont keep up NI contributions you lose the right to claim UK state pension?

I always assumed that when you emigrated you couldnt claim it so this thread has surprised me that some people are still paying UK NI from Australia...

edit: just read up that if you have paid UK NI for 11 years you can claim a reduced UK pension so I could still claim some UK pension from Australia even though I stopped paying NI on emigrating

Last edited by ianhutch1; Mar 18th 2010 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The ukopians don't like any suggestions that things may be less than perfect in the UK. Sod having a point; just take down anyone who has the temerity to think differently.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:52 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lesleys
Then they could start paying UK taxes again.
And get all their healthcare on the NHS.

Would the average pensioner's healthcare cost the UK more or less than indexing pensions for expats?

By deferring claiming the UK pension you can accumulate a lump sum, which includes the cost of living increase every year until you claim that lump sum and take the pension. The pension paid is at the increased rate when you do claim (not the rate when you deferred). Perhaps this is just too complicated for the DWP to freeze for expats.

http://www.ohe.org/page/knowledge/sc...x/nhs_cost.cfm
Hi

Whilst not wanting to comment on your first remark, your last para is interesting.

I seriously considered deferring my claim for the state pension when I reached 65 (last month!) in order to get a higher pension at a later date...but then I thought "what good is a higher pension if I die before I get it!!" and rejected the idea!

Perhaps the UK government think that way too?

Jim
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:57 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
As well as can be expected, thanks <g>. And you too, I hope?

I *was* referring to private pensions. We all know about the iniquitous treatment of the state pension, but that part of a private pension that is SERPS opted-out is also affected.
Hi

You learn something every day! I wasn't aware of this particular ruling - not that it affects me!

Digressing - we drove the road over the hill from Berry to Kangaroo Valley a few weeks ago. First time we have done this for some years and its just as hairy as ever - especially with the setting sun in your face

Jim
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Am I right in thinking that if you leave the UK and dont keep up NI contributions you lose the right to claim UK state pension?

I always assumed that when you emigrated you couldnt claim it so this thread has surprised me that some people are still paying UK NI from Australia...

edit: just read up that if you have paid UK NI for 11 years you can claim a reduced UK pension so I could still claim some UK pension from Australia even though I stopped paying NI on emigrating
You can still claim it if you stop paying but you will probably get a fraction of it depending on how much you've paid in. So if you've paid 20 years of contributions you will get 2/3rds of the full pension.

The 11 years rule has gone. It is now 1 year. And the requirement for a full pension has dropped from 44 years down to 30. But at the same time the pension age is being raised and the second state pension is being capped.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

Whilst not wanting to comment on your first remark, your last para is interesting.

I seriously considered deferring my claim for the state pension when I reached 65 (last month!) in order to get a higher pension at a later date...but then I thought "what good is a higher pension if I die before I get it!!" and rejected the idea!

Perhaps the UK government think that way too?

Jim
I did the calculations on the deferred pension and if you work off the same life expectancy then it's a winner for the government and not the person doing the deferral.

However if you think you'll live more than about years longer than expected then you're onto a winner.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:10 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I did the calculations on the deferred pension and if you work off the same life expectancy then it's a winner for the government and not the person doing the deferral.

However if you think you'll live more than about years longer than expected then you're onto a winner.
Hi

Have you missed a figure from your last sentence !
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

Have you missed a figure from your last sentence !
Yep. 3

I got distracted.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:13 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
You can still claim it if you stop paying but you will probably get a fraction of it depending on how much you've paid in. So if you've paid 20 years of contributions you will get 2/3rds of the full pension.

The 11 years rule has gone. It is now 1 year. And the requirement for a full pension has dropped from 44 years down to 30. But at the same time the pension age is being raised and the second state pension is being capped.
Thanks for answering that. I wasn't sure myself about exactly how it works. All I know is my dad kept his NI payments going for nearly 30 years after emigrating to South Africa so now he gets the full - albeit frozen pension.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You call it a tirade to ask why some British Expats get the rises and some don't ?

And Canada is in the Northern hemisphere, or have you missed that point.

You mentioned "No charge today -re dentistry." Are you attempting to say that I have said that Dentistry is free in Australia ? It isn't, except in the cases that were mentioned in the thread about it the other day.

It seems you may be wrong about a few things...

And as for me being "pissed off", in your words. You are a tad wrong. I am not eligible for any aged pension.
What makes you think I would be "pissed off" ?
Of course ,I'm wrong about many things. I stated that Australia doesn't really matter in global terms.
You appear to be pissed off. Quite rightly so.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

An article on This is Money this week estimates that 4million ex-pat pensioners (not sure where they get this figure from...) are planning on returning to the UK because of the devaluation of the pound.

Okay I know we should all plan for the best and worst in currency but who would have guess the pound would fall so much against the A$ and the Euro. I got E1.60 odd to the pound first time I went to Spain a few years ago and last year I was having to do 1:1. Nothing had gone up over there and things are still cheap against the UK prices but it just seemed so much more expensive so I can understand some pensioners are struggling. Same here....in the time we applied for our Visa to getting out here and in the 3 years we've been here things have just gone up so much. You can only plan for so much. I don't suppose anyone on here could have envisaged a 1.60 rate!

So it would be cheaper for the UK Gov to give the Aussie pensioners the rise than everyone go back and drain the system. Maybe everyone should do it just to annoy the Gov!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by koalakim
... I don't suppose anyone on here could have envisaged a 1.60 rate!

Ahem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.