I believe in fairy tales - Jezza
56.52%
Some other talking head/no hoper
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

UK election poll

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election poll

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I happen to know a lot about shoddy workmanship done for council by private business from our local area where a leisure complex in Dumfries was built entirely by a private contractor, Kier Construction - who designed it, built it, did the inspections, turned it over to the council and took their money. Serious faults started to appear, Kier stonewalled on compensation and dragged out court proceedings which council had to end when the legal bill got over £1 mill. A few years later the complex has been almost taken down and rebuilt at an extra cost to council of around £10 mill. A temporary swimming pool and ice rink had to be built at a cost of £3 mill while the building was closed for a few years.

Dumfries DG One leisure complex defects 'beggar belief' - BBC News
Doncha know that construction businesses are the hard working, trustworthy individuals and local government are the corrupt layabout criminals?

It says so in the far right handbook, so it must be true ....

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Doncha know that construction businesses are the hard working, trustworthy individuals and local government are the corrupt layabout criminals?

It says so in the far right handbook, so it must be true ....

I've 2 friends who are high up in council - one heads up the leisure side and one heads up the building services side. Kier would not admit liability even though they knew they were culpable; they told the council they would drag it out in courts for years and years; they had the budget to do this, the council didn't. The swimming pool had serious leaks, panels fell off walls inside and out, insulation wasn't put where it should be, the heating system often broke down, the swimming pool was even built 24.8 metres long* so no competitions could be held there, records couldn't be recognised..................

* some clever bunny at Kier didn't allow for the tiles to be put on - it was 25 metres from wall to wall without the tiles!!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Something is far wrong, agreed?

Who is talking design? The issue is what the client specifies and what the contractor delivers. Camden Council specified materials different to what the same company responsible for Grenfell Towers delivered. They are urgently removing the cladding and will see the firm in court.

Clients don't specify especially in the case of a council. Councils don't have the breadth of staff to include a facade consultant. That's why they contract a company to do that for them.

You should read beyond the first two paragraphs about the cladding re-fit in Camden. The facade contractors insist they installed what was designed which was also signed off by Camden's building control, and Camden Council are currently seeking legal advice and conducting testing.

But hey, all the drama is in the first two paragraphs - no point ruining beyond that and reading the detail

I happen to know a lot about shoddy workmanship done for council by private business from our local area where a leisure complex in Dumfries was built entirely by a private contractor, Kier Construction - who designed it, built it, did the inspections, turned it over to the council and took their money. Serious faults started to appear, Kier stonewalled on compensation and dragged out court proceedings which council had to end when the legal bill got over £1 mill. A few years later the complex has been almost taken down and rebuilt at an extra cost to council of around £10 mill. A temporary swimming pool and ice rink had to be built at a cost of £3 mill while the building was closed for a few years.

Dumfries DG One leisure complex defects 'beggar belief' - BBC News

Schools in Scotland built under PPI arrangements have developed serious faults and collapsed walls caused death.

Edinburgh school crisis consortium facing million-pound penalty - Edinburgh Evening News
Joys of construction my friend. After a project, everyone from the client down makes claims. It's all about following the communication and delivering what was communicated. Sounds like your council were a little inexperienced. Hey ho lesson learned.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:39 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I've 2 friends who are high up in council - one heads up the leisure side and one heads up the building services side. Kier would not admit liability even though they knew they were culpable; they told the council they would drag it out in courts for years and years; they had the budget to do this, the council didn't. The swimming pool had serious leaks, panels fell off walls inside and out, insulation wasn't put where it should be, the heating system often broke down, the swimming pool was even built 24.8 metres long* so no competitions could be held there, records couldn't be recognised..................

* some clever bunny at Kier didn't allow for the tiles to be put on - it was 25 metres from wall to wall without the tiles!!
I've heard it on a larger scale.

In the end morals are for those that get taken to the cleaners, the cheats and corrupt prosper and claim its all the fault of the other guy for not nailing their head to the wall.

Well at least for a while...
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Clients don't specify especially in the case of a council. Councils don't have the breadth of staff to include a facade consultant. That's why they contract a company to do that for them.

You should read beyond the first two paragraphs about the cladding re-fit in Camden. The facade contractors insist they installed what was designed which was also signed off by Camden's building control, and Camden Council are currently seeking legal advice and conducting testing.

But hey, all the drama is in the first two paragraphs - no point ruining beyond that and reading the detail

Joys of construction my friend. After a project, everyone from the client down makes claims. It's all about following the communication and delivering what was communicated. Sounds like your council were a little inexperienced. Hey ho lesson learned.
Well the police are today saying that charges from manslaughter up could be brought. We'll have to wait and see.

Police have said they are considering manslaughter charges in relation to the deadly Grenfell Tower blaze as they revealed that the insulation and cladding tiles at the building failed safety tests.
Det Supt Fiona McCormack, who is overseeing the investigation, said on Friday that officers had established the initial cause of the fire was a fridge-freezer and that it was not started deliberately.

She said they were trying to get to the bottom of why the fire grew so quickly and tests had pointed towards the cladding using aluminium composite tiles and the insulation behind it. Investigators will now seek to establish whether the use of these materials was illegal.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well the police are today saying that charges from manslaughter up could be brought. We'll have to wait and see.

Police have said they are considering manslaughter charges in relation to the deadly Grenfell Tower blaze as they revealed that the insulation and cladding tiles at the building failed safety tests.
Det Supt Fiona McCormack, who is overseeing the investigation, said on Friday that officers had established the initial cause of the fire was a fridge-freezer and that it was not started deliberately.

She said they were trying to get to the bottom of why the fire grew so quickly and tests had pointed towards the cladding using aluminium composite tiles and the insulation behind it. Investigators will now seek to establish whether the use of these materials was illegal.
Of course. Cops doing their job. They will probably end up charging an organisation, the question is who. ..... and it will never hold up in court.

I remember when a few panels fell out of the Gherkin luckily missing anyone below.

But lets say it took out 5 bankers having lunch.

The sad part is you bigoted lefties wouldn't give a shit just because they are bankers. Gotta love the hypocrisy of it all.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So let me get this right. The £10 mill plus repair cost and 2 to 3 year closure of our leisure centre is a 'joy of construction', my council is at fault because they are a 'little inexperienced' and Kier just deliver what they are asked to?

Actually, knowing quite a bit about this from my friend (and you knowing zilch about the circumstances) you are talking nonsense.

Kier eventually blamed the consultants WM Saunders Partnership and the 2 of them coughed up part of the £10 mill repair bill and neither are allowed to set foot on the site, another contractor has been doing the work.

I'd hasten to add that council building services staff has been cut to the bone because of budget restraints and government won't let council increase council taxes but that's another matter.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So let me get this right. The £10 mill plus repair cost and 2 to 3 year closure of our leisure centre is a 'joy of construction', my council is at fault because they are a 'little inexperienced' and Kier just deliver what they are asked to?

Actually, knowing quite a bit about this from my friend (and you knowing zilch about the circumstances) you are talking nonsense.

Kier eventually blamed the consultants WM Saunders Partnership and the 2 of them coughed up part of the £10 mill repair bill and neither are allowed to set foot on the site, another contractor has been doing the work.

I'd hasten to add that council building services staff has been cut to the bone because of budget restraints and government won't let council increase council taxes but that's another matter.
Ha ha. Saunders. I did some work for them many years ago. Useless mob. I would hazaard a guess it was due to the design software they used..... in fact I would almost be prepared to put my house on it. I've seen kilometre high columns accidently designed and delivered to the design team with that shit.

But that's what happens. Private sector owners too I might add. They want to recover some costs, they hit the contractor and the contractor hits the sub contractors and consultants.

Mistakes happen.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ironically, this is like an even duller form of tennis
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Ironically, this is like an even duller form of tennis
Add something intelligent or disappear to livelier threads - it's your choice, nobody is forcing you to discuss what is a very serious issue.

Overnight 5 tower blocks in Camden, Swiss Cottage area, were evacuated over serious fire safety concerns - i.e. similar materials used and issues to Grenfell.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Add something intelligent or disappear to livelier threads - it's your choice, nobody is forcing you to discuss what is a very serious issue.

Overnight 5 tower blocks in Camden, Swiss Cottage area, were evacuated over serious fire safety concerns - i.e. similar materials used and issues to Grenfell.
It was serious in the slightest. It was publicity stunt by the Camden council. They don't even know what the panels are. Nice try though. You just love the drama don't you.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha ha. Saunders. I did some work for them many years ago. Useless mob. I would hazaard a guess it was due to the design software they used..... in fact I would almost be prepared to put my house on it. I've seen kilometre high columns accidently designed and delivered to the design team with that shit.

But that's what happens. Private sector owners too I might add. They want to recover some costs, they hit the contractor and the contractor hits the sub contractors and consultants.

Mistakes happen.
Yes, mistakes happen in government, in councils, in private industry and it will be up to the subsequent inquiry to find out all those responsible, bring criminal charges if necessary and implement changes - which the current government will probably ignore because it will involve spending money and it is only to house people who are unlikely to vote for them.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course. Cops doing their job. They will probably end up charging an organisation, the question is who. ..... and it will never hold up in court.

I remember when a few panels fell out of the Gherkin luckily missing anyone below.

But lets say it took out 5 bankers having lunch.

The sad part is you bigoted lefties wouldn't give a shit just because they are bankers. Gotta love the hypocrisy of it all.
Hypocrisy is actually making up a story and then saying how other people would react to it.

'A bigot is a person who is intolerant towards those holding a different view'. The cap, wear it, if, fits? Rearrange these words to form a well known phrase.

Last edited by OzTennis; Jun 24th 2017 at 8:13 am.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was serious in the slightest. It was publicity stunt by the Camden council. They don't even know what the panels are. Nice try though. You just love the drama don't you.
Err, there was a fire at Grenfell; the same panels or similar were put in their tower blocks, some by the same firm so they are taking reasonable precautions not looking for 'drama' as you put it. It seems to me you show more concern for the possibility of 5 bankers getting hit by tiles from the Shard than you do for the 79 killed and the many hundreds displaced and traumatised, not to mention the people living in the 600 tower blocks in the UK. I bet you didn't give a moment's thought to that whilst watching the rugby?
Old Jun 24th 2017, 1:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

"You people".

Recent polls in the UK have shown that a majority of people would pay 1p more income tax if it's spent on things like the underfunded NHS, education and public housing. 'Your ilk' are out of touch with that and use jargon like unnecessary welfare, wasteful NHS, too much red tape and bureaucracy.

When one considers the top rate of income tax used to be 98% on unearned income and 83% on earned income and it is now 45% for over £150K there's clearly a bit of upside on the top rate (77% in favour of that) and people would accept basic rate increases if it was used for public services.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7636846.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7770581.html
1p on tax? Have you had a look at the UK's debt position recently? I just did - it's USD2.24 TRILLION or 87% of GDP. How's 1p going to make an impact on that?

The UK is raising plenty of tax. They have a 20% VAT rate - and as consumption taxes are one of the fairest and most efficient forms of tax, this is a good rate. UK needs to be cutting spending - not raising taxes. Cutting income and corporate taxes stimulates spending which causes increased economic growth and by default, more taxes. It ain't rocket science - you know this but refuse to acknowledge the fact

Wake up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.