Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:33 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by kporte
Actually I think it is a simple as, the UK and the USA has produced such a steady stream of quality over the years that any other country's output seems weak.
I agree, but why has Australia not managed to even compete? Because it really hasn't even come close. What is different about Aussies that they haven't produced a Nirvana or REM or Queen or whoever?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willamos
Elbow are good but not one of England's best bands in my view.

The Seldom Seen Kid is a little overrated. One Day Like This has been a big, big hit and used in lots of TV in the UK. As a result of that the album has been elevated above its actual merit, I think.
That's the joy of music, different opinions. They are very highly rated in the biz, awards etc and having seen them live at the Tiv, my opinion only went up.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:34 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

That's the joy of music, different opinions. They are very highly rated in the biz, awards etc and having seen them live at the Tiv, my opinion only went up.
Think they are good, just not one of the very best. Find something like Florence and the Machine far more interesting than Elbow.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:35 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but why has Australia not managed to even compete? Because it really hasn't even come close. What is different about Aussies that they haven't produced a Nirvana or REM or Queen or whoever?
Hmmm ... three bands lead by manic depressives ... maybe Aussies are just too happy.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
Hmmm ... three bands lead by manic depressives ... maybe Aussies are just too happy.
Freddie Mercury was a manic depressive?! First I've heard of that.

Maybe Aussies are too apathetic would be another equally valid angle.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Lack of talent or lack of marketing the talent would be the obvious answer.
Both Nirvana and Queen were one man bands and REM has to be the world's most overrated act.
But that is only my opinion....

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:54 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:40 pm
Banned

Both Nirvana and Queen were one man bands and REM has to be the world's most overrated act.
Queen were a one man band?! Really?! That man being FM, presumably?! So Brian May's guitar added nothing?! Brian and Roger's harmonies with FM were of no importance?! The tracks they wrote weren't hits?!

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:54 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:41 pm
Banned

But if Aussies don't have the same kind of talent, why not?!

Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Queen were a one man band?! Really?! That man being FM, presumably?! So Brian May's guitar added nothing?! Brian and Roger's harmonies with FM were of no importance?! The tracks they wrote weren't hits?!
Not what I said. They became a supergroup because of Freddy. There are loads of musically gifted bands that don't reach these heights. Freddies stage presence lifted them to greatness. Live aid?

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:55 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

But if Aussies don't have the same kind of talent, why not?!
Why doesn't France or Germany?

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:55 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:46 pm
Banned

Not what I said. They became a supergroup because of Freddy. There are loads of musically gifted bands that don't reach these heights. Freddies stage presence lifted them to greatness. Live aid?
Mmm, but I think they were very well established long before Live Aid. Bohemian Rhapsody was 1975. We Are The Champtions/We Will Rock You was 1977.

Could you not argue that without a certain member ANY band would not have achieved ''greatness''?

I mean, could you not say that without Lennon The Beatles would not have reached the same heights? But does that make them a one man band?!

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:56 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:47 pm
Banned

Why doesn't France or Germany?
As an English speaking nation with a culture derived almost entirely from the UK and latterly America would you not admit it is a fairer question to ask of Australia?

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:56 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

Mmm, but I think they were very well established long before Live Aid. Bohemian Rhapsody was 1975. We Are The Champtions/We Will Rock You was 1977.

Could you not argue that without a certain member ANY band would not have achieved ''greatness''?

I mean, could you not say that without Lennon The Beatles would not have reached the same heights? But does that make them a one man band?!
No, they were a two man band.

Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:49 pm
Banned

fixing the ] on the quotes

No, they were a two man band.
Really?! I don't believe you are being entirely serious.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:57 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Freddie Mercury was a manic depressive?! First I've heard of that.

Maybe Aussies are too apathetic would be another equally valid angle.
Or maybe they're just not gay enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.