Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by willamos View Post

As an English speaking nation with a culture derived almost entirely from the UK and latterly America would you not admit it is a fairer question to ask of Australia?
Good point. Given we assume the "stock" is suitable, surely it falls down to lack of talent nurturing or spotting? Lack of interest in this avenue maybe?
See how poor the UK's Olympic efforts were until they pumped some cash and effort into it to reap the rewards of the last Olympics?
In short, I have no idea

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:58 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:53 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

My view is that Australia is mostly surburbia with sunburn and it is not full of thinkers and budding artists. It is full of budding tradies. Just my view. Which you all can now attack.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:56 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte View Post

Good point. Given we assume the "stock" is suitable, surely it falls down to lack of talent nurturing or spotting? Lack of interest in this avenue maybe?
See how poor the UK's Olympic efforts were until they pumped some cash and effort into it to reap the rewards of the last Olympics?
In short, I have no idea
It's an unanswerable one really. But I do think it is weird how Australia has struggled to even attempt to keep pace with the UK or US on this.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:58 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Really?! I don't believe you are being entirely serious.
I don't mean to downplay the massive talent that Harrison had, but simply put, the Lennon and Macca thing made the Beatles. The other two could have been anyone. The fact that Harrison proved to have talent later is noted but it made no impact in their meteoric rise.
The difference between good and seminal.
Kurt Cobain, Freddy Mercury, L & M, ETC

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 19th 2009 at 12:59 pm. Reason: fixing the ] on the quotes
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My view is that Australia is mostly surburbia with sunburn and it is not full of thinkers and budding artists. It is full of budding tradies.
You mean the country's full of people, like, doing stuff and being productive and making things - instead of staring at their belly buttons in Stevenage semis and composing ditties about it?

Oh well. Poor old Oz.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:59 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=kporte;7945435]

I don't mean to downplay the massive talent that Harrison had, but simply put, the Lennon and Macca thing made the Beatles. The other two could have been anyone. The fact that Harrison proved to have talent later is noted but it made no impact in their meteoric rise.
The difference between good and seminal.
Kurt Cobain, Freddy Mercury, L & M, ETC
Fair enough I guess. I just think that events that occur are specific to the exact combination of personalities present, especially with The Beatles. Put someone else in there and it just would not have happened in the same way.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
You mean the country's full of people, like, doing stuff and being productive and making things - instead of staring at their belly buttons in Stevenage semis and composing ditties about it?

Oh well. Poor old Oz.
Yeah, that's one perspective on it. Makes Australia strong in some respects, piss weak in others.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Yeah, that's one perspective on it. Makes Australia strong in some respects, piss weak in others.
Just like every other country then
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

My view is that Australia is mostly surburbia with sunburn and it is not full of thinkers and budding artists. It is full of budding tradies. Just my view. Which you all can now attack.
Not worth attacking.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:03 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, like when there's a global financial meltdown and the UK disappears down the shitter because it's full of self-obsessed aesthetes penning ditties about unrequited love ... and Australia barely even notices.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point

i aint posted here for ages - more of an occasional lurker, but looking through this thread i think you've all missed the main point - apart from having a good bitch with each other

and it aint about what is the best music - as someone else said - that's personal preference, but if it's about global identity then there are a couple of other things for starters -
the record companies - and how much the industry is supported in aussie - never been that supported, only occasional bands that would sell commercially across the ponds. things are getting better though, the industry over here is actually making a mark.
the live scene - people who need to make music need to be turned on by live music, and there's always been a great live band scene in aus but it's generally like having a juke box - all covers, although it's something i quite like about the pubs/clubs here - BUT many bands weren't bothering to tour over here previously, especially brissy - so no real inspiration for bands to start up.

sorry there was no real bitching in this post, but i'm a manchester lad living in brissy - i leave the bitching to the girls!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jaruky View Post
i aint posted here for ages - more of an occasional lurker, but looking through this thread i think you've all missed the main point - apart from having a good bitch with each other

and it aint about what is the best music - as someone else said - that's personal preference, but if it's about global identity then there are a couple of other things for starters -
the record companies - and how much the industry is supported in aussie - never been that supported, only occasional bands that would sell commercially across the ponds. things are getting better though, the industry over here is actually making a mark.
the live scene - people who need to make music need to be turned on by live music, and there's always been a great live band scene in aus but it's generally like having a juke box - all covers, although it's something i quite like about the pubs/clubs here - BUT many bands weren't bothering to tour over here previously, especially brissy - so no real inspiration for bands to start up.

sorry there was no real bitching in this post, but i'm a manchester lad living in brissy - i leave the bitching to the girls!
Trust you to make a sensible post.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:20 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

True one Adelaide suburb, has produced an exceptional , HIP HOP, group .
Google up " THE HILL TOP HOODS " ,,, chek it out..........mm
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover View Post
True one Adelaide suburb, has produced an exceptional , HIP HOP, group .
Google up " THE HILL TOP HOODS " ,,, chek it out..........mm
only cos i'm quite sober tonight
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post

Oh well. Poor old Oz.
What makes the UK expatriate pool piss-poor - is too many wannabe plebians, especially ones with a little bit of an education - who think that avoidance of the trades and ready access to Marks and Spencer makes them special. You know the type - the sort that fuss over how they hold their cutlery.

Give me an awful Australian suburbanite over his British counterpart anyday though given the choice, I'd rather avoid them both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.