Ugly City

Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:50 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ugly City

I'm with creature on this, wouldn't swap the gong for anything, the drive down mt Ousley road on the way home is simply stunning. Not a city person myself, but let's face it, 3 houses in a row constitutes a city here
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Ugly City

Righto, Perth boy here flying the flag for his home town!

Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Personally I like the Sydney architecture but your'e right Ozzie there is some stunning older arcitecture in Melbourne which thankfully Melbourne had the sense to keep Whenever we visit family in Melly we're amazed by the contrast of industrial, city and suburbs further afield. Melbourne would be OK if it wasn't for the Melbourne weather
Someone once said (on the internet I suspect) that Melbourne sometimes looks better at ground level. Walk through some of those cramped Sydney CBD streets and all of a sudden the Harbour city is not so great.

It has been quite warm in Melbourne this last 2 weeks(?) without a change and it is this weekend I wish that this change coming in now would arrive faster! It's strange because normally it is hotter but the hot days are broken - we've strung together a load of middling days of 33-34. If they were humid too then I would be sick of it.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's a real pity that the main entrance to Melbourne isnt from over the East side of Town down the Princes Highway. A far better approach.
Is the N end the main entrance?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you drink plenty water with it.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

The entry coming in from the NW of Melbourne isn't all that great either mainly because it is the driest part of the metro area and often yellow/brown grass, although the Keilor valley along the Maribyrnong river with the market gardens is quite nice and it is definitely more hilly than the other major approaches into the city.

A lot of US cities have similarly bland approaches (I haven't been there but seen it all on street view so as good as being there). The development of Australian cities has been highly influenced by the USA model over the past 30 years or so. You have to remember though that during winter and spring, those photos that were posted of the Hume Fwy entrance are a lot more green. In Summer it almost always yellows off by January.

Central Melbourne and inner suburbs do have fantastic architecture, also magnificent parks and gardens and street trees with some reasonable autumn colour most years. Sydney definitely does lack in this department.

BTW I've seen the approach to Glasgow on street view (it's all in HD) and was struck by how similar the general countryside looked to the area around Melbourne. The central city area though is extremely old compared to anything in AUS, it almost looks medieval.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Jan 29th 2012 at 6:20 am.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:07 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney has some good architecture but most is dire and the result of corrupt state governments. The natural geography more than compensates but it means the city rests on its laurels. We will see what Barangaroo brings.

Melbourne has some good recent buildings but has nothing outstanding. Southbank, especially Crown are lowlights. Brisbane is an architectural wasteland and certainly the result of multiple corrupt state governments.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:24 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Oi! I used to live in a postcard... Well a house on a postcard in a sleepy little East Anglian Village...
Where abouts Eds?
I had a spell in that part of the world with a few villages like that around.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Still look far more picturesque than heading into the likes of Glasgow.
How very dare you
Attached Thumbnails Ugly City-city_chambers.jpg   Ugly City-976453.jpg   Ugly City-glasgow.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh looks like Fairy land or Prague or similar

Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Sydney has some good architecture but most is dire and the result of corrupt state governments. The natural geography more than compensates but it means the city rests on its laurels. We will see what Barangaroo brings.

Melbourne has some good recent buildings but has nothing outstanding. Southbank, especially Crown are lowlights. Brisbane is an architectural wasteland and certainly the result of multiple corrupt state governments.
The recent development of Sydney actually annoys me. In the late 50s and early 6s Sydney still had some of the most beautiful European influenced architecture of anywhere in the southern hemisphere.

Had it been left alone, and the CBD been developed in a neighbouring area like Pyrmont, Sydney would have been like a Vienna of the south.

Unfortunately though the CBD went through a high rise revolution and much of it was destroyed and built upwards. The Rocks, the QVB and much of Martin Place were only saved at the last minute.

There are flashes of the past along every street, and they are usually the standout buildings, but the predominant feeling (for me) is one of chrome and glass illumination and experimentation, which I just dont see aging too well.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
The recent development of Sydney actually annoys me. In the late 50s and early 6s Sydney still had some of the most beautiful European influenced architecture of anywhere in the southern hemisphere.

Had it been left alone, and the CBD been developed in a neighbouring area like Pyrmont, Sydney would have been like a Vienna of the south.

Unfortunately though the CBD went through a high rise revolution and much of it was destroyed and built upwards. The Rocks, the QVB and much of Martin Place were only saved at the last minute.

There are flashes of the past along every street, and they are usually the standout buildings, but the predominant feeling (for me) is one of chrome and glass illumination and experimentation, which I just dont see aging too well.
That's something I noticed with Sydney - it's constantly rebuilding itself. It's like the city is a junkie looking for its next high.

I'm surprised the Town Hall and neighbouring Cathedral have survived, but you only have to look up and down George Street from there to see evidence of the constant rebuilding.

With that in mind I find the harbour setting of central Sydney fantastic, but this is let down by quite a lot of the architecture. Too many buildings to list as examples (although there are some nice ones), however in addition to those I find the elevated train line & expressway by Circular Quay to be a massive eyesore which is a huge shame, and lets not go on about the hideous white elephant called the monorail.

Here in Melbourne we have some examples of eyesore building work as well - the elevated train link between Flinders St & Spencer St stations, the West Gate Bridge, and although the buildings on Fed Square can raise eyebrows, it's a whole load better than when there was nothing there.