Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Twilight DVD - Not Long Now

Twilight DVD - Not Long Now

Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice
Default Re: Twilight DVD - Not Long Now

I thought Edward was cast pretty well and Bella a bit dull, she just didn't have the angst and love pangs that I was expecting. Charlie was good, although I thought he would look like my neighbour or the Sheriff from American Gothic (brilliant series BTW) Gary Cole. James was just too short to be taken seriously.

I hope they play a lot more on the other characters in the 2nd film, they will certainly spice it up a bit.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:13 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=nickyjohnt;7396778]
Originally Posted by herrchook
OMG, 2 movies!! I can't imagine how they can stay true to the story but keep them under a 15 rating like the first one.

I personally thought that Meyer copped out a little with the 4th book. I found in all a bit too unbelievalbe and how come all of a sudden Edward started calling Bella "love" lolol. I would love to discuss the books more, maybe we should start a new thread for it with a spoiler title, don't want to give anything away to those who haven't read them all yet?[/QUOTE ]

Funny, I was talking to my friend today about the rating for the last book when they make the film !

Great idea about the thread !
Consider it done
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter heard from somewhere - no idea where though - that they weren't going to do the last book - can't remember why now and she's mid last minute assignment so I'm not distracting her
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

you don't need to wait til the 21st to download it you know
I will second that.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

I LOVED the first book, then got annoyed a bit with the first half of the 2nd, loved the 3rd but thought the 4th book was a cop out. I sincerely hope they never make a movie of the 4th book.

Go on Moneypen, read the books and let us know how you get on.
Totally agree.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:09 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

you don't need to wait til the 21st to download it you know
Yeah I know that! I'm just waiting for a decent quality rip that's all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My daughter heard from somewhere - no idea where though - that they weren't going to do the last book - can't remember why now and she's mid last minute assignment so I'm not distracting her
Oh they will most certainly complete the saga I'm sure. She might be getting confused with Meyer's book Midnight Sun which is the first book, Twilight, from Edward's perspective. That was due to be released after Breaking Dawn but parts of it got leaked onto the web so Meyer decided to put that project on hold. You can read the first couple of hundred pages of it on her website.

Last edited by FluffieFaerie; Mar 20th 2009 at 10:11 am.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:16 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Yeah I know that! I'm just waiting for a decent quality rip that's all

Oh they will most certainly complete the saga I'm sure. She might be getting confused with Meyer's book Midnight Sun which is the first book, Twilight, from Edward's perspective. That was due to be released after Breaking Dawn but parts of it got leaked onto the web so Meyer decided to put that project on hold. You can read the first couple of hundred pages of it on her website.
Decent rip has been out since the 5th. 700mb , 1.4gb , ipod, and even 6.5gb blueray
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:46 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Ive read all 4 books, and i was hooked with the first and thought the second was pretty good too. The 3rd and 4 th were terrible, i skim read most of the 4th it was so unbelievable. I found the 3rd very repetative and boring. Actually both the last 2 were boring. Ive seen the fim, downloaded it, wasnt happy with casting of Bella, theres never any real explanation of why they are attracted to each other, felt it didnt go deep enough. Meyer is very niave in her writing, its very much aimed at teenagers and shes admitted herself she wasnt happy writng a "love scene" in case she offended her family and friends lol. Im sorry but she could have added far more depth to all the books, theres alot of innuendo and teenage frustration etc, reading it as a 34 year old id want more, but i can see why teenagers like them.

The use of jacob in the 4th was annoying, and the convienience of how the book ended with higheraicy just chaning their mind and leaving was annoying, she failed to follow through anything there. I think it became an obvious cash cow for her, id have felt it more realistic if they had all been destroyed. Also the lack of information between the pregancy and that stupid bit where jacob takes over, i skim read most of that. Parts made me feel ill, Meyer is ept at describing drinking blood through a straw but not the most essential parts like love and passion, very wierd, maybe she has her own issues lol.

Just my own thoughts. (Pattinson was an excellent choice as edward but dont think they set the screen alight together, i dont rate her as an actress though shes too miserable)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:55 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
Ive read all 4 books, and i was hooked with the first and thought the second was pretty good too. The 3rd and 4 th were terrible, i skim read most of the 4th it was so unbelievable. I found the 3rd very repetative and boring. Actually both the last 2 were boring. Ive seen the fim, downloaded it, wasnt happy with casting of Bella, theres never any real explanation of why they are attracted to each other, felt it didnt go deep enough. Meyer is very niave in her writing, its very much aimed at teenagers and shes admitted herself she wasnt happy writng a "love scene" in case she offended her family and friends lol. Im sorry but she could have added far more depth to all the books, theres alot of innuendo and teenage frustration etc, reading it as a 34 year old id want more, but i can see why teenagers like them.

The use of jacob in the 4th was annoying, and the convienience of how the book ended with higheraicy just chaning their mind and leaving was annoying, she failed to follow through anything there. I think it became an obvious cash cow for her, id have felt it more realistic if they had all been destroyed. Also the lack of information between the pregancy and that stupid bit where jacob takes over, i skim read most of that. Parts made me feel ill, Meyer is ept at describing drinking blood through a straw but not the most essential parts like love and passion, very wierd, maybe she has her own issues lol.

Just my own thoughts. (Pattinson was an excellent choice as edward but dont think they set the screen alight together, i dont rate her as an actress though shes too miserable)
Spot on

At points I just wasn't sure I wanted to continue reading Breaking Dawn but I kept hoping that some of that sparkle that lit up the pages of Twilight would re-appear. Sadly not.

I suspect Meyer got VERY lucky with the story line of Twilight. I was hooked immediately and fell compeltely in love with Bella's Edward. Here's hoping the new director of New Moon gives the story some of the oomph it deserves.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I actually didn't mind Kristen as Bella but that may be because I saw the film before I read the books so I had no pre conceptions of what she should be like.

My daughter dragged me along to the film and after that I was hooked. Once I read the book I realised how much the film actually failed in portraying a lot of the anguish that Bella and Edward had. Particularly in the classroom scene when Edward and Bella first meet. I have watched the film a couple of times since and a lot of the scenes make more sense now.

I’m hoping as well that the new film manages to get more of the essence of the story across.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
Meyer is very niave in her writing, its very much aimed at teenagers and shes admitted herself she wasnt happy writng a "love scene" in case she offended her family and friends lol. Im sorry but she could have added far more depth to all the books, theres alot of innuendo and teenage frustration etc, reading it as a 34 year old id want more, but i can see why teenagers like them.
But that's the whole point. They were written for a teenage girl audience, not necessarily for a 34 year old. It's a bit like adults complaining about some of the story lines in Harry Potter. If adults like the books then fine but the fact that millions of teenagers are reading these books, at a time when they are more interested in the opposite sex and shopping speaks volumes.

My eldest has hardly picked up a book since Harry Potter, unless they were on the school curriculum list for English, but she's been transfixed by all four books.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:15 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

:My eldest has hardly picked up a book since Harry Potter, unless they were on the school curriculum list for English, but she's been transfixed by all four books.
It works on us 'grown-ups' too - I gave up reading when the first Harry Potter film came out as all the good books were being made into films and I got lazy - I was mid-way through the third Potter book at the time. The Twilight Saga has got me hooked again. I read all 4 books in a week and have just finished them again for a second time. My Mum got me the Potter boxset for my birthday so I could start them again too. I love the fact that I'm reading again - I always had a book in my hand as a kid.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:15 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

But that's the whole point. They were written for a teenage girl audience, not necessarily for a 34 year old. It's a bit like adults complaining about some of the story lines in Harry Potter. If adults like the books then fine but the fact that millions of teenagers are reading these books, at a time when they are more interested in the opposite sex and shopping speaks volumes.

My eldest has hardly picked up a book since Harry Potter, unless they were on the school curriculum list for English, but she's been transfixed by all four books.
yeah take your point there ,