Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Turnbull survives spill 48-35, but mortally wounded

Turnbull survives spill 48-35, but mortally wounded

Old Aug 20th 2018, 11:39 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Turnbull survives spill 48-35, but mortally wounded

Turnbull called the spill, Dutton stood, but the result was far too close for Turnbull, and now it's expected that he will fall within a week or so.

Dutton, Tony Abbott, Eric Abetz, Kevin Andrews, Andrew Hastie are the cabinet member who got the knives out.

Last edited by GarryP; Aug 20th 2018 at 11:41 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 12:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turnbull survives spill 48-35, but mortally wounded

Talk is of another challenge as soon as Thursday.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking this morning what a joke Aussie politics has become. Then listening to my local 2AY (part of the Ace network) this morning ... I listen for the giggles mostly; never had I heard such wilful ignorance from their dinosaur presenters ... anyway, there was an interview with Nigel Farage. Now I never thought I'd say this, but I actually agreed with him on something. Yep, Aussie politics is comical. I've been here almost 6 years and about to have our sixth PM (probably/possibly/who knows) but Farage actually made a good point. It's not just Aussie politics, WORLD politics is a joke right now. In the UK we have May the Brexit debacle; plus the Labour party internal debacles. USA has Trump (I don't think Clinton was much of an alternative though). Where ISN'T politics a joke right now?!
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
I was thinking this morning what a joke Aussie politics has become. Then listening to my local 2AY (part of the Ace network) this morning ... I listen for the giggles mostly; never had I heard such wilful ignorance from their dinosaur presenters ... anyway, there was an interview with Nigel Farage. Now I never thought I'd say this, but I actually agreed with him on something. Yep, Aussie politics is comical. I've been here almost 6 years and about to have our sixth PM (probably/possibly/who knows) but Farage actually made a good point. It's not just Aussie politics, WORLD politics is a joke right now. In the UK we have May the Brexit debacle; plus the Labour party internal debacles. USA has Trump (I don't think Clinton was much of an alternative though). Where ISN'T politics a joke right now?!
Agree - I've been saying the same for years

We've had relative peace and prosperity for decades - soft times. Soft times breed soft leaders - and vice versa. There are a few exceptions though, great leaders in soft times - Thatcher, Reagan, Howard etc

Cometh the hour, cometh the man is very relevant
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

. Where ISN'T politics a joke right now?!
North Korea . I don't think they're allowed to joke about politics.

But, yes. I agree that politics the world over is a joke.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Where ISN'T politics a joke right now?!
Russia, China, Turkey

You make joke about glorious leader, you don't wake up. Dobby, Winnie the Pooh, and Gollum really don't like jokes.

Smart, useful, trustworthy people don't get into politics - why would they? You can make much more money in industry or banking (cough Trunbull). Plus you don't actually have much freedom to do anything (since the paymasters call the shots and the political in-trading limits policy). And finally, the press and idiots besiege you on all sides.

If you are smart, useful and trustworthy, you do what you want to do, and if the politics or red tape get in the way, you buy a politician to act as your agent. Someone else can deal with the authoritarian, power crazed, nutters.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 5:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Talk is now that Dutton's eligibility to be an MP is going to be referred to the Solicitor General by the Attorney General. Maybe Turnbull is developing a backbone and a killer instinct - albeit a bit late.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 6:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Talk is now that Dutton's eligibility to be an MP is going to be referred to the Solicitor General by the Attorney General. Maybe Turnbull is developing a backbone and a killer instinct - albeit a bit late.
LOL...you really couldn't even make this stuff up!
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by bcworld
LOL...you really couldn't even make this stuff up!
House of Cards is pretty close
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:01 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

OK, current state of the battleground has a letter getting signed for a new party room and thus vote, potentially tonight. Potentially Corman has switched sides, or maybe not.

Looks like another vote inside 24 hours.

However, there is a further issue that the crossbenchers and nationals aren't necessarily very happy, and if Dutton gets PM, Labor might call a vote on no confidence AND be able to get the numbers, meaning an election before the seat is even cold.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

That's it, he's screwed.

Cormann, Fifield, and a criminal, just stood up and said they resigned and supported change. Cormann controls a block - which means Turnbull is dead. It's only now a matter of it being accepted publicly.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
That's it, he's screwed.

Cormann, Fifield, and a criminal, just stood up and said they resigned and supported change. Cormann controls a block - which means Turnbull is dead. It's only now a matter of it being accepted publicly.
They've lost the plot. All these conservative voters they've lost to Bernardi, Pauline etc...ultimately, despite all the noise these people make, they get them back on the 2PP basis. Now they stand to lose all the actual swing voters in the centre. Shorten must be loving this!
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by bcworld
They've lost the plot. All these conservative voters they've lost to Bernardi, Pauline etc...ultimately, despite all the noise these people make, they get them back on the 2PP basis. Now they stand to lose all the actual swing voters in the centre. Shorten must be loving this!
There was a joke about Labor holding an urgent meeting about how to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

Frankly Labor now need to get an election called. If they can do that then the coalition have neither the money or organisation to fight and will lose spectacularly. Dutton will move from a fight to get power to a fight to keep it - Labor will bring all his many faults to fore.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Morrison has now said he's standing.

Jim Hacker to the fore.....
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 1:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

When you've descided who the Australian PM is going to be can you send us an e-mail? I don't see any reason the rest of is need to be involved in this when we are wasting valuable drinking time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.