Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Donald
84.62%
Hillary
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1

Not sure I've seen too many people lauding what happened 200 years ago. I think it's more of a can't change the past, get on with the present thing to be honest. There were some pretty hideous acts carried out by the Aboriginal tribes themselves, yet to bring these up a la Pauline Hanson is obviously ridiculous. Judging past wrong doings by today's values is daft in the extreme. We need to move on and stop dredging up the past and using it as a stick to beat ourselves with.
I'm sure, without quoting names.

Are we talking about inter-tribal or aboriginals having the gall to fight back against people settling their land?

We learn from past mistakes surely? We treat people equally. That's why it has been raised in a thread about Trump - he hasn't learned and has old attitudes.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So why keep banging on about historical land grabs at all? If there were inter tribal land grabs or colonial land grabs, it makes no difference. Its a land grab and it occurred in different times, with different people, with different attitude.

I can't help feel you believe white man owes the world something and you and your kind will reach to any historical event in an attempt to make white man pay.

Get a grip.
'My kind'?

I want white man to LEARN (not pay as you assume)!!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'My kind'?

I want white man to LEARN (not pay as you assume)!!
That then sums up where all your crazy talk comes from. You are a white man hater. The point is you haven't learned (which is odd coming from a school teacher). Of all people you should have "learned" that white man isn't the devil.

You know when Zulu says left wingers hate the west? Now you know where it comes from.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That then sums up where all your crazy talk comes from. You are a white man hater. The point is you haven't learned (which is odd coming from a school teacher). Of all people you should have "learned" that white man isn't the devil.

You know when Zulu says left wingers hate the west? Now you know where it comes from.
As I said to Morpeth, it is nice to have someone who is rational.

You get increasingly irrational and illogical. Pray tell where does 'west hater' come from to treat people as equals and not engage in racism, sexism etc and not repeat some of the mistakes of the past?

How many times do you have to wrongly label me as left wing? Perhaps liberal thinker with a small l?

Which part of this do you disagree with?

A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Pray tell where does 'west hater' come from to treat people as equals and not engage in racism, sexism etc and not repeat some of the mistakes of the past?
Pray? Sorry I'm not religious.

You should listen to your own advice. Currently you are being racist against Australian white people. Newsflash. In case you didn't know Australia is one of the most multi-cultural and tolerant countries in the world.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 11:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

aboriginals having the gall to fight back against people settling their land?
That would be your people - the same people that laid the foundations for the things that you benefited greatly from throughout your life - remember, winner takes all

You are railing against your own existence!!

Pathetic
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That would be your people - the same people that laid the foundations for the things that you benefited greatly from throughout your life - remember, winner takes all

You are railing against your own existence!!

Pathetic
'Railing against your own existence, western hater, winner takes all, SJW, history tells us violence is the answer' blah, blah, nothing new; I've heard it all before and it's just talking in labels and extreme right ideology.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pray? Sorry I'm not religious.

You should listen to your own advice. Currently you are being racist against Australian white people. Newsflash. In case you didn't know Australia is one of the most multi-cultural and tolerant countries in the world.
We are talking about the Trump admiration society which you and some others have formed - my reference to sexist and racist was apropos Trump!

'Pray tell' is an expression meaning an earnest request for information!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 1:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

'Railing against your own existence, western hater, winner takes all, SJW, history tells us violence is the answer' blah, blah, nothing new; I've heard it all before and it's just talking in labels and extreme right ideology.
It's sad that you hate your country, it's history and what it stands for so much. But this just goes to show that, on the whole, only right-wing and/or conservative people can be patriots and love their country

Sad but true
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's sad that you hate your country, it's history and what it stands for so much. But this just goes to show that, on the whole, only right-wing and/or conservative people can be patriots and love their country

Sad but true
That's laughable both in its inaccuracy (about me) and your blind allegiance to some ideology/doctrine you seem to believe in. It's not a big step from the original derivation of patriot (homeland) to fatherland when one holds such extreme views.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

It's refreshing to have one poster on here who is prepared to argue their corner in a rational manner.

You are right, you have no way of knowing what I think about non-western history. It's interesting that you are largely stacking ancient history up against more modern history (Mongols and Aztecs as examples of non-European transgressions). I draw no inference from that other than I would have gone more recent such as the Japanese in China.

As an aside (a very aside), Neil Young had a song banned in Spain because it was about the Conquistadors and the Aztecs and they're a bit touchy about their past and might have asked why he didn't sing about eastern transressions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrkKNZRIfM
Well we can give modern examples- Indonesia actions against Chinese in 1965, Timor, of course champions of multi-cultural appreciation ISIS, Pakistan army in Bangla Desh, Chinese in Tibet a particularly obnoxious story, Chinese policy against minorities in western provinces, treatment of Muslims in Burma.........however I used older examples as perhaps more comparable to the whole colonialist era in some ways. Yes the Japanese in China were particularly brutal , I doubt many Japanese have any serious remorse or political discourse dominated by guilt for such actions.

Quite surprised the Spain today would do that, when was the banning ?
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure, without quoting names.

Are we talking about inter-tribal or aboriginals having the gall to fight back against people settling their land?

We learn from past mistakes surely? We treat people equally. That's why it has been raised in a thread about Trump - he hasn't learned and has old attitudes.
Well pretty simple why Trump hasn't learned, I remain rather appalled by a political leader evidently brags he doesn't read much- that concerns me more than the silly back and forth between him and the media.

It seems the pendulum has swung back and forth about colonialism, first perceived as an unqualified benefit for those in the third world, now in recent decades many consider an unqualified evil. Having lived in India and Indonesia, and travelled in several third world countries, I think it was neither completely in most cases. It is hard for most debate on the subject as many people seem to have extreme pre-conceptions often and closed minds.

Last edited by morpeth; Feb 21st 2017 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by morpeth
Well pretty simple why Trump hasn't learned, I remain rather appalled by a political leader evidently brags he doesn't read much- that concerns me more than the silly back and forth between him and the media.

It seems the pendulum has swung back and forth about colonialism, first perceived as an unqualified benefit for those in the third world, now in recent decades many consider an unqualified evil. Having lived in India and Indonesia, and travelled in several third world countries, I think it was neither completely in most cases. It is hard for most debate on the subject as many people seem to have extreme pre-conceptions often and closed minds.
Yes, if you've studied the subject you'll find there are views ranging from colonialism was a great thing to it was a bad thing and in truth the situation is probably somewhere in between. As you say, as time goes on we seem to be swinging away from the all was good school.

I've formed my ideas from 12 years of studying Australian history at school, 4 years at university; two of which were having one of Australia's foremost and most prolific historians, Geoffrey Blainey, as my lecturer, tutor and supervisor for a research project and I've read countless Australian history books since. My brother was an associate professor of historical geography at Melbourne's 2nd oldest university and we've had many a lengthy discussion about our history. I certainly don't have a closed mind or pre-conceived ideas; they've actually changed a lot of time with advancing years and more study! I'll anticipate that one of our frequent posters will claim from this that I'm saying 'the left' as they laughingly label are saying they are more intelligent or something like that.

Cortez the Killer was written and later recorded over 40 years ago by Young, ironically, when he was studying history back in Winnipeg. The song was banned by Francisco Franco (right wingers don't like their colonial past questioned) but was allowed in Spain after Franco's death in 1975 when it was given the softer title, 'Cortez'.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by morpeth
Well we can give modern examples- Indonesia actions against Chinese in 1965, Timor, of course champions of multi-cultural appreciation ISIS, Pakistan army in Bangla Desh, Chinese in Tibet a particularly obnoxious story, Chinese policy against minorities in western provinces, treatment of Muslims in Burma.........however I used older examples as perhaps more comparable to the whole colonialist era in some ways. Yes the Japanese in China were particularly brutal , I doubt many Japanese have any serious remorse or political discourse dominated by guilt for such actions.

Quite surprised the Spain today would do that, when was the banning ?
Point taken re more modern non-western aggression/transgression, whatever you want to call it. I'd refer back to more shame than guilt culture with Japan. Extremism, both right and left is an extremely dangerous thing. China and Soviet Union have done some truly appalling things in the name of doctrine and ideology - Stalin, Mao, Siberia, Tibet, Cultural Revolution etc. It's why the world is so concerned at the lurch in the extremist direction with Trump.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're talking inter-tribal killing, and we're talking eating new borns in times of hardship. We condemn British actions 200 years ago, then we need to condemn every transgression and land grab. My proposal is to put them all in the past where they belong.

I think we have learnt all we can from the past, and whilst it's probably not too wise to expect people to forget, I would most certainly expect them to forgive. My Uncle John fought in WW2, when I worked with him during my apprenticeship, his best mate was a former member of the SS, that's a lesson in forgiveness right there.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Feb 21st 2017 at 6:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.