Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Donald
84.62%
Hillary
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You are going round in circles and your fallback line is 'show me his policies'; there's enough out there on what he said and what he proposed as evidence. Show me how he didn't say what he said which is reported in those papers rather than just using the stupid line of you can't believe what you read in them. See the 1998 quote about Trump belittling Republicans as believing all they see on Fox News. You don't have an orange tan and a tuft of grass on your head by any chance do you?

I said there were similarities in attitude of supposed superiority (and implied inferiority of other groups) between Rhodes and Trump.

No more debate on whether Trump is racist or not - move on to something else.
Errrr circles? That would be you. If you can't pull out any racist policies then you got nothing.

You could of course pull apart his appearance, which is discriminatory in itself. Another prime example of left wing hypocrisy.

I think your remark above rests my case on the discrimination thing.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Errrr circles? That would be you. If you can't pull out any racist policies then you got nothing.

You could of course pull apart his appearance, which is discriminatory in itself. Another prime example of left wing hypocrisy.

I don't think he has articulated much in the way of real policy at this stage, but this might do you for starters. There is confusion in general about racism vs prejudice against the "other" whether it is racial, cultural or religious, but there you go.

ogress.org/donald-trumps-first-policy-plan-is-even-more-racist-than-you-think-it-is-1ca8b9d1245b

Donald Trump's call for banning Muslims from entering U.S. draws condemnation

And then, of course, one can take his general positions and be duly concerned about how that might play out in government. Frankly, voting for him would be embarrassment enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrump..._why_trump_is/
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't think he has articulated much in the way of real policy at this stage, but this might do you for starters. There is confusion in general about racism vs prejudice against the "other" whether it is racial, cultural or religious, but there you go.

ogress.org/donald-trumps-first-policy-plan-is-even-more-racist-than-you-think-it-is-1ca8b9d1245b

And then, of course, one can take his general positions and be duly concerned about how that might play out in government. Frankly, voting for him would be embarrassment enough.

He has lots of policy and instead of looking at second hand / biased sources, why not just look at the actual source? https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
He has lots of policy and instead of looking at second hand / biased sources, why not just look at the actual source? https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies
Because what political candidates say about themselves is not always, um, reliable. I also look at what they have proven themselves to be. Pence has governed the state next door to mine, for example. Additionally, Trump has opened his own mouth loud enough over the last year that there has been plenty of source material floating around, live and in person

Facts are not "biased". They are just facts.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Because what political candidates say about themselves is not always, um, reliable. I also look at what they have proven themselves to be. Pence has governed the state next door to mine, for example. Additionally, Trump has opened his own mouth loud enough over the last year that there has been plenty of source material floating around, live and in person

Facts are not "biased". They are just facts.
I care even less about what they say in campaigning. It is always drivel no matter who.

Also, there is the matter of how much they can actually accomplish. Always a fraction of what they promise.

If you read his policies they are actually standard Republican policies. Even the wall was a GOP policy in the 90's.

And no, facts are not facts. It is about the source and the reliability of the source and how the facts are presented. For example, read the Telegraph and the Guardian in the UK. Both are highly respected broad sheet newspapers. Both will report "facts", but one with a right wing slant, the other with a left wing slant, resulting in "facts" that appear significantly different. Every news source is the same.

For example, Trumps policy on deporting illegal immigrants that have committed crime can be, and is, portrayed as extremely racist, but it is only slightly more than Obama has deported (3 million against 2.5), but those two "facts" are seldom reported together and when they are it totally changes the context of the Trump policy.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:27 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Tariffs are a bad idea but at least we now have a major world leader who is a climate realist
Oh, how is that? Is he a so-called realist because you subscribe to his philosophy of bypassing science and commonly-available data?

Plus he's hardly a leader at this stage... whether he truly becomes one is yet to be decided (albeit the ball is in his court).

(what the western-haters call a denier)
Funny how you like to label people as "western haters" for being the most intellectually-capable people in the western world. Your so-called "western haters" are in fact the strength of the west and the reason why it's the dominant force in both global economics, science and human rights.

Take America for instance. It's a great nation because of the smart people that made it great and strong - the backwards rednecks who occupy the centre are simply additional baggage that everyone else is tugging along.

hopefully there is still time to save our economies from the onerous tax burden (aka increasing electricity prices) that is soon to hit
Hopefully we'll stop polluting the world and start taking care of it for once. Can't hurt either way, no matter how you view (or choose to ignore) science.

Happy days ahead
For sure, though lately the Russians (aka true western haters) are the only ones who are happy with results. Brexit... Trump... Putin must be popping champagne corks around the clock nowadays.

Hopefully someone will wake up soon and choose a tougher stance on the greatest source of destabilisation affecting the west.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
First, Trump and policies. I don't understand the commotion about it. I have read in detail his policies and actually, there is nothing in them that hasn't been in previous Republican policies at some point. Even the wall is not a new idea - it was first put forward by GOP in the 90's.

Second, the reason for him being elected. This is more complex, but, also obvious in at least part. People no longer trust the political elite. In recent years we have had the USA equivalent of Labour in power - Democrat President. But, in this same period, working class and middles class have seen their living standards fall, often their incomes fall in real terms, the rich have become richer and the gap between rich and everyone else become bigger. This while having a president who would have been expected to have reversed this or at least have had an impact. During the 8 years of Obama, the biggest growth in jobs in the USA has been for minimum wage or less roles such as the gig economy of Uber drivers and things.

So, people are becoming more and more desperate. All of the people that voted for Trump are not racists or any other label. Theses are mainly just normal people who are getting desperate. They needed someone to turn to that just might offer something other than more of the same, because more of the same means an ever downward spiral for many.

Even now, the politicians in the light of analyzing the reasons are still not getting it. We have in the last days had the British PM telling us that globalization needs to be a bit kinder but that it is still the best way forward. We have had the same message only yesterday from Obama. So, they know there is a problem with what globalization has done, but they don't see the extent. Unless they have a radical rethink the public will continue to feel more alienated from the political system and start to turn more to someone who offers them something different. There lies the dangers. It hasn't made the news as much but, there have been two other elections in recent days - Bulgaria and Moldova and both have resulted in politicians that are pro Moscow rather than pro EU / liberal / supporters of globalization. This will go on and the risk is not Trump or UKIP / Brexit, it is the one that comes along that garners support with truly bad ideas.

In my profession, we have a saying, the past is the key to the future, yet as societies we don't get that. In the past, we had a country whose people were being left behind economically. Who started to feel they were being rejected by the established political elite and that the elite would see them continue to head downward. Eventually a man came along who offered them a way out. He had some bad policies as well and some outright distasteful ones, but people were happy to turn a blind eye to the bad as they were desperate enough to want the good bits. The economic improvement or at least no further fall in economic standards. There is a saying "The starving man has no fear of the gaol in order to put bread on his table". That country was Germany, the man Hitler. The politicians of today are getting the warning messages, but not listening to them
yes, 100% yes.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by astera
Take America for instance. It's a great nation because of the smart people that made it great and strong - the backwards rednecks who occupy the centre are simply additional baggage that everyone else is tugging along.
Someone to stand up for the little guy and stop the elite shitting all over them, isn't that why the left wing came into being? Now the very people it purported to represent are somehow beneath it. How long before the disabled become labelled 'additional baggage' too?

As for the man made global warming, stop the deforestation and reduce world population, anything else is a bandaid solution, which I get bloody taxed on.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No but I've read and heard the evidence that the experts have presented and on balance it is a serious problem facing the world which needs to be addressed. 97% of climate scientists agree.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
I've also read and heard the evidence and think that it's a hoax

None of us are climate scientists and can only read and use our brains to form an opinion - and my opinion is that MMGW is not happening. Your opinion may be different

Done to death on here already
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

But the consumer (most of whom are taxpayers) contributes to the problem.

Why not shift the billions from building the Mexican wall to addressing the more serious problem and there won't be any increase in US taxes?
As long as consumers and taxpayers are not contributing any subsidies to the rent-seekers building green infrastructure then they can party on

Build the wall and let private business build any energy source that they think that they can make a non-subsidised profit from

The wall is going to be super cool
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by astera
Oh, how is that? Is he a so-called realist because you subscribe to his philosophy of bypassing science and commonly-available data?

Plus he's hardly a leader at this stage... whether he truly becomes one is yet to be decided (albeit the ball is in his court).

Funny how you like to label people as "western haters" for being the most intellectually-capable people in the western world. Your so-called "western haters" are in fact the strength of the west and the reason why it's the dominant force in both global economics, science and human rights.

Hopefully we'll stop polluting the world and start taking care of it for once. Can't hurt either way, no matter how you view (or choose to ignore) science.

For sure, though lately the Russians (aka true western haters) are the only ones who are happy with results. Brexit... Trump... Putin must be popping champagne corks around the clock nowadays.

Hopefully someone will wake up soon and choose a tougher stance on the greatest source of destabilisation affecting the west.
Like I've pointed out, done to death on here already. I've said what I've had to say about the anti-west MMGW hoax, so I'm out on that topic

We'll see about Putin. NATO has made an error to a degree with expansion into Eastern Europe - a move bound to antagonise Russia. The Republicans hate Putin and it will be interesting to see how much leeway they give Trump in dealing with Putin. Early days
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Been through this. Read the rest of the thread.

In short, this religion has been a black mark on the world for years. It hasn't been controlled by its own leadership, and doesn't have a leadership for that matter. On the flipside there are plenty of good Muslim people, there are plenty of right wing Muslim people. (I know a bunch of very right wing Bosnian Muslims, originally refugees in the UK who don't stand for the black marks)

You post a statement from a year ago. As I have said, I would rather a politician who was tough but has the ability to adapt. Adaption has occured and he has thrown around other ideas since. If you need to categorise an issue as a starting point go for it. If it offends tough titties.

Let me ask you this. If Trump is racist why has he only targetted Muslims (which is a religion not a race) and left other minority groups alone? I think you will find good historical reason.

PS he hasn't targetted hispanics, he has just targetted the leaky border controls.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Circles. Do you think Trump would be so stupid to write down the things he says he will do? Do you think the Republican Party would put in tablets of stone what he said he'd do and what he thinks?

A racist is not just judged by his official policies. Get it?

End of.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 11:11 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

We'll see about Putin. NATO has made an error to a degree with expansion into Eastern Europe - a move bound to antagonise Russia.
Huh?

NATO and especially the US know what they are doing in this regard. They should be building a much stronger presence in Eastern Europe without paying much attention to what Russia wants or feels.

Russia's only role in the world is to destabilise and meddle wherever it can, whilst pretending to be a superpower as a false image projected to the brainwashed part of its own society. You don't talk to Russia, you don't negotiate with Russia, simply because they don't understand that way of thinking. You simply act. Hard. That language they do understand.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...-transiti.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.