Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Donald
84.62%
Hillary
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Reviewed it, I'm right and you're wrong, have a re-read yourself.

To go forward as a nation of Australians, not black, white whatever Australians is an ignorant stance?? You're beyond help. If the country is having trouble healing, it's because of people keep picking the scabs.
What? I never said that we must remain divided by race. I have no idea where you got that from. Well at a guess I'd say it came from your blinkered attitude to the problem.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
What? I never said that we must remain divided by race. I have no idea where you got that from. Well at a guess I'd say it came from your blinkered attitude to the problem.
If you think someone who wants racial harmony is blinkered then this is a pointless argument.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

If you think someone who wants racial harmony is blinkered then this is a pointless argument.
I never said that either. You're doing a good job of misquoting.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:31 am
Account Closed

I never said that either. You're doing a good job of misquoting.
Says the bloke who says I think genocide is a good thing, like I said, pointless
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Says the bloke who says I think genocide is a good thing, like I said, pointless
Oh man. I've said this to you before. My post wasn't directed at you. You decided to jump in and start shouting the word 'apologise' around. Go and grab a coffee and wake the **** up!
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Oh man. I've said this to you before. My post wasn't directed at you. You decided to jump in and start shouting the word 'apologise' around. Go and grab a coffee and wake the **** up!
Directed at me or not, it was complete rubbish and needed addressing before you made a fool of yourself, sadly I failed. Seeya Nige
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Directed at me or not, it was complete rubbish and needed addressing before you made a fool of yourself, sadly I failed. Seeya Nige
What was complete rubbish? That someone on here was in favour of the slaughter of aboriginals which led to their cushy life in Australia? Sadly, it's not rubbish.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I know how it was done then, I know you weren't there, I know you weren't to blame, I know there was no consul(t)ation (nor consolation) then..... zzz. The fact that you think it is a 'stupid picture' shows that can only look at everything from the viewpoint of the original boat people. It's no surprise that you look at modern issues in a similar manner

It's both interesting and shocking (to me) to see what Churchill said about colonialism: “I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place”.

A modern commentator on this said 'we hopefully know today, that there is no higher-grade race, the question is are we going to fake blindness or see history for what it really is.'

The funny thing is that the same Churchill signed the Atlantic Treaty with Roosevelt in 1941 to set out a blueprint for a post war international system. It included decolonisation - the right of the colonised people to independence - and was the forerunner to the United Nations - which tries to promote world peace and stop acts of aggression and invasion.

A few discussion points, hope it helps.
Save
Save
Save
Err, people change their minds you know - or is that not allowed? I'm imagining that Churchill made those comments at a time when these kind of beliefs were widely held in the western world - so more revisionist, SJW mumbo jumbo from you

You were born here and have benefited from the things the British and their colonialism did for the western world. Therefore, with your current viewpoint, you are arguing against your own existence! Bizarre
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:52 am
Account Closed

What was complete rubbish? That someone on here was in favour of the slaughter of aboriginals which led to their cushy life in Australia? Sadly, it's not rubbish.
Oh do shush, no-one was in favour of it, not one person. What was said is that the past has led to our present, and we shouldn't geel guilty about it. Who's mis-quoting now? It's you that needs to wake the **** up dude, it's 2017, look forward not back.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If the country is having trouble healing, it's because of people keep picking the scabs.
Poetry
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
Poetry
Cheers geeze, I'm dead chuffed with it haha
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh do shush, no-one was in favour of it, not one person. What was said is that the past has led to our present, and we shouldn't geel guilty about it. Who's mis-quoting now? It's you that needs to wake the **** up dude, it's 2017, look forward not back.
Eh? Wrong. Please review thread again and get a clue.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Eh? Wrong. Please review thread again and get a clue.
No, you review it and while you're at it see if you can get a grip on reality. We all know our forebears were a bunch of violent bastards, acknowledging that and being ok with your life now is NOT glorifying it.

I've just re-read, your assertion that violence never solved anything (which is where I jumped in) is not just wrong, it's complete unadulterated codswallop.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Feb 17th 2017 at 1:19 am.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Err, people change their minds you know - or is that not allowed? I'm imagining that Churchill made those comments at a time when these kind of beliefs were widely held in the western world - so more revisionist, SJW mumbo jumbo from you

You were born here and have benefited from the things the British and their colonialism did for the western world. Therefore, with your current viewpoint, you are arguing against your own existence! Bizarre
You keep throwing in meaningless terms as terms of derision. Revisionist for example. You are saying we shouldn't look at past events in a different light, ever - no revision in thinking. You will notice that the Germans have revised their thinking about what they let happen in the 30's and 40's as an example. I posed the question about SJW to you - do you stand for social injustice? No right thinking person surely is against social justice? Just say it, yes, I believe in social injustice and oppose 'SJW'ers'.

Churchill appeared to change his outlook from condoning colonisation to being a leader in it's reversal. Does that make him a 'revisionist'?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Interesting point you raise. It's a generalisation but there is a tendency for there to be a 'guilt society' in the west (and christian religions) whereas in the east, China and Japan especially, (buddhism, confucianism etc) it is a 'shame society'. A cultural/religious thing. In simple terms the reason the Japanese took so long to admit their war guilt is the shame that would come with it. A westerner tends not to think along those lines. Mind you it took until 2008 for Kevin Rudd to apologise to the stolen generations and yet there was an outcry from some quarters of 'what for?'

It's a giant leap though to hint (I'm not suggesting you) that we should not feel guilt in the west because they don't seem to in the east. There's no excuse in the context of the way we think now to excuse slavery, transportation, mass executions, compulsorily acquiring land and wealth which took place in the name of the British, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish etc crowns. The 'it happened, get over it, move on' argument tends to ignore the lessons we can learn from past mistakes.

The argument that native people were brought 'superior culture' and they should be grateful ignores that this was done by force and without consulting these people as to whether they wanted it or not*. A man who forces himself on a woman justifies with the same logic - this will do you a lot of good, I know what's best for you.

http://i.imgur.com/peuuRVM.jpg
Interesting discussion to be sure.

All areas of the world have had acts done which today would be considered unacceptable, yet it appears primarily in the West people want to run around with a guilt complex and unable to balance overall what Western culture has given the world. Kind of a "reverse" racism- if some African leader does atrocious acts such as Bokassa or Amin, well not so important because they are African, but if something happened in Australia or USA 100 or 150 years ago, then descendants should be required to feel guilty and continually pay for past mistakes.

One can go back for thousands of years and find similar acts of violence committed by countries/cultures worldwide. It might be interesting to look at the intellectual development that led for example the British and Americans together to end slavery.

I am still waiting to hear Italian guilt for how the Romans treated my ancestors in the north of Great Britain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.