Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Donald
84.62%
Hillary
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Old Nov 13th 2016, 11:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I'm not for Trump at all, they were both terrible candidates, but the bit that I'm a big fan of is the little man giving a massive **** you to people who haven't even got the decency to pretend that they matter.
But that's the bit that doesn't make sense. The people who "haven't even got the decency to pretend that they matter" are the bankers and board members who commit fraud for money, and get away with it. And Trump IS one of them, with stated policies that he will make it BETTER for them, less tax, less controls, etc.

So there is a disconnect between what 5 mins of research would tell them, and the 'feels' that they had from the second hand car salesman.

I think there is something deeper going on, more animalistic.

I think it's that Trump was beating his chest and trying to play the alpha male. He wasn't/isn't, but to people who follow and don't lead, he looks like it, and looks more like it than Clinton, a woman. It might even be why Obama (a real alpha) made mincemeat of Clinton before.

Of course Trump lied, he's a politician now, but the fact that the people have stood up and said we've had enough is immensely pleasing to me.
What they have done is stood up and said "we can be conned, we aren't even smart enough to make a sensible decision". Which in turn means even less notice needs to be taken of them, just shaping of the lies that were told. That's not pleasing.

I mean hell, still no bankers jailed for the GFC frauds, and no candidate proposing that they should be. They are the winners in all this misdirected rage.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Good on em. Trump unlikely to prove their saviour, but the dye has been broken. Real change may well result. People before economics further down the road. Now that would be revolutionary.
Exactly, he's an unknown in politics, everyone's assuming he'll be a train wreck, but just maybe. Here's a nice Einstein meme
Attached Thumbnails The Trumpmare is happening... Who will win?-insane.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GarryP
But that's the bit that doesn't make sense. The people who "haven't even got the decency to pretend that they matter" are the bankers and board members who commit fraud for money, and get away with it. And Trump IS one of them, with stated policies that he will make it BETTER for them, less tax, less controls, etc.

So there is a disconnect between what 5 mins of research would tell them, and the 'feels' that they had from the second hand car salesman.

I think there is something deeper going on, more animalistic.

I think it's that Trump was beating his chest and trying to play the alpha male. He wasn't/isn't, but to people who follow and don't lead, he looks like it, and looks more like it than Clinton, a woman. It might even be why Obama (a real alpha) made mincemeat of Clinton before.

What they have done is stood up and said "we can be conned, we aren't even smart enough to make a sensible decision". Which in turn means even less notice needs to be taken of them, just shaping of the lies that were told. That's not pleasing.

I mean hell, still no bankers jailed for the GFC frauds, and no candidate proposing that they should be. They are the winners in all this misdirected rage.
How on earth was Hillary conning them any less? What's driving you mad is that you cannot fathom the reasoning behind it. It's simple, everyone was supposed to vote Hillary, they decided not to and it has potentially changed the face of politics. They've effectively said pick the bones out of that and dropped the mic. You've just underestimated the power of stubbornness.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth was Hillary conning them any less? What's driving you mad is that you cannot fathom the reasoning behind it. It's simple, everyone was supposed to vote Hillary, they decided not to and it has potentially changed the face of politics. They've effectively said pick the bones out of that and dropped the mic. You've just underestimated the power of stubbornness.
Hillary was a third term of Obama - something that had been proved to not screw things up (the US under most measures is doing well). Trump was an almost total lack of sane policy, with the virtual guarantee that he IS going to screw things up (when the ex PM of Mexico says explicitly that "I won't pay for that f**king wall", you know they are pissed). As I say, 5 mins tops.

It wasn't just "throw the board in the air because you're losing", otherwise Obama wouldn't have got a second term. There's more to it, a combination of stupidity and tribalism is what I'm thinking.

That could be why Abbott got in too - he was obviously a f**kwit from the moment you saw him, but he was effectively running against a woman again.

Which makes me wonder how May will do ...
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Hillary was a third term of Obama - something that had been proved to not screw things up (the US under most measures is doing well). Trump was an almost total lack of sane policy, with the virtual guarantee that he IS going to screw things up (when the ex PM of Mexico says explicitly that "I won't pay for that f**king wall", you know they are pissed). As I say, 5 mins tops.

It wasn't just "throw the board in the air because you're losing", otherwise Obama wouldn't have got a second term. There's more to it, a combination of stupidity and tribalism is what I'm thinking.

That could be why Abbott got in too - he was obviously a f**kwit from the moment you saw him, but he was effectively running against a woman again.

Which makes me wonder how May will do ...
Not stupidity, tribalism, or even good old sexism. The word you're looking for is desperation. If May doesn't invoke article 50, stand by for a UKIP government.

Love or hate Obamah he has charisma and the ability to convince people he cares, that's why he got 2 terms.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Not stupidity, tribalism, or even good old sexism. The word you're looking for is desperation. If May doesn't invoke article 50, stand by for a UKIP government.

Love or hate Obamah he has charisma and the ability to convince people he cares, that's why he got 2 terms.
As I say, I don't think its desperation as such. The US is doing pretty well at the moment as a whole, and the job/wages stagnation issue is something that's been happening since at least Reagan. If they were desperate 4 years ago, they could have voted someone in who was at least an order of magnitude more competent.

No, I think it was this alpha male/tribalism thing that promoted the stupidity.

Oh, and if May invokes article 50 she deserves to be hung from traitors gate - we now know enough to know that it would both be an EU massacre, and that most people in the UK don't really want it.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:18 am
Account Closed

As I say, I don't think its desperation as such. The US is doing pretty well at the moment as a whole, and the job/wages stagnation issue is something that's been happening since at least Reagan. If they were desperate 4 years ago, they could have voted someone in who was at least an order of magnitude more competent.

No, I think it was this alpha male/tribalism thing that promoted the stupidity.

Oh, and if May invokes article 50 she deserves to be hung from traitors gate - we now know enough to know that it would both be an EU massacre, and that most people in the UK don't really want it.
That S word again Garry, it does you no favours. They were desperate 4 years ago yes, but the democrat in the hot seat had a personality and charisma. Hillary had neither and was arrogant enough not to even have a concession speech ready.

Let's just say that May doesn't invoke article 50, the subsequent back lash will see a massive swing to the farthest of right wing achievable. Now should May be willing to accept resonsibility for that? I think so
Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
See above post. End of.

Muslims are apparently ok if you can make billions in their countries, get them to finance your businesses, employ them as your workers and have them as customers.
Pathetic - and trying to squirm out of your ridiculous position

You are trying to draw comparisons between Hitler and Trump - which is quite patently bizarre

Attempting to change the subject doesn't alter this fact

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 14th 2016 at 2:04 am.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. And they said that first time around. They also said Trump would not win the election.

Garry keeps getting it wrong. Should we believe you on this one too?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

That S word again Garry, it does you no favours.
Call it what it is - face the reality. It's no good thinking that voters are rational actors when it's be conclusively proved now that they aren't.

They were desperate 4 years ago yes, but the democrat in the hot seat had a personality and charisma. Hillary had neither and was arrogant enough not to even have a concession speech ready.
Clinton had track record (positive). Trump had track record (negative). I wouldn't say Trump's personality could be considered a positive (if you want to talk arrogant, then what do you say to "I have great words, the best words"?)

Sorry, but I think it is indeed the woman thing.

Let's just say that May doesn't invoke article 50, the subsequent back lash will see a massive swing to the farthest of right wing achievable. Now should May be willing to accept resonsibility for that? I think so
Two thirds of people oppose the blind brexit idea. I think the backlash from putting the UK in the eurocrats power would be far harder.

I also think the lesson from the Trump debacle is that Labour need to play an alpha male against May.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I also think the lesson from the Trump debacle is that Labour need to play an alpha male against May.
But they're not. They're playing your hero, Jeremy Corbyn, against May

Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:05 am
Account Closed

Call it what it is - face the reality. It's no good thinking that voters are rational actors when it's be conclusively proved now that they aren't.

Clinton had track record (positive). Trump had track record (negative). I wouldn't say Trump's personality could be considered a positive (if you want to talk arrogant, then what do you say to "I have great words, the best words"?)

Sorry, but I think it is indeed the woman thing.

Two thirds of people oppose the blind brexit idea. I think the backlash from putting the UK in the eurocrats power would be far harder.

There may well be a great deal of stupid people, stupid and irrational. How is it you think they'll feel about being called stupid and irrational, d'you think they'll take it on board or tell you to blow it out your arse? You may have the IQ advantage, but not much in the way of people skills is there?

A good leader knows how to deal with the whole population, not just the money men, and Trump has given them hope, no matter how misguided he struck a chord with them. Clinton gifted it to Trump by being a shite and un-trust worthy candidate, it really is that simple.

This two thirds you're talking about, wasn't in a poll was it? They tend to be fairly inaccurate.

The closest Labour has to an Alpha Male is Dianne Abbott, they're unelectable for the foreseeable.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
Wow. And they said that first time around. They also said Trump would not win the election.

Garry keeps getting it wrong. Should we believe you on this one too?
Once again, you run headlong into the brickwall of fact.

People have been doing polls after the referendum. Quite a lot feel lied to (hardly surprising, they were) and when you bring in the reality of hard brexit, two thirds say "nope".

That shouldn't be surprising, how often have you heard "well I only voted brexit to send a message"?

May seems to be all at sea on the 'I've got a plan' front as well - which means unless some spectacular happens, its not a button that should be pressed.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:13 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

There may well be a great deal of stupid people, stupid and irrational. How is it you think they'll feel about being called stupid and irrational, d'you think they'll take it on board or tell you to blow it out your arse? You may have the IQ advantage, but not much in the way of people skills is there?
There's a big difference between recognising that people are stupid, and calling them it when asking for a vote. In essence Trump said to all of his supports "you are daft enough that I can lie to you, to your face", but he didn't say that.

And I actually think that it would be possible to get people to take onboard how little they knew and understood - but you'd have to be subtle about it.

Anyway, the point is understanding why they were stupid, not debating if you should call them that to their face.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, you run headlong into the brickwall of fact.

People have been doing polls after the referendum. Quite a lot feel lied to (hardly surprising, they were) and when you bring in the reality of hard brexit, two thirds say "nope".

That shouldn't be surprising, how often have you heard "well I only voted brexit to send a message"?

May seems to be all at sea on the 'I've got a plan' front as well - which means unless some spectacular happens, its not a button that should be pressed.
Its kind of silly to revert back to the evidence of polls just after I just pointed out that polls have no relevance on the final outcome.

Ita been discussed and agreed on here by all that the polls keep getting it wrong.

You are kind of fighting something that doesn't want to fight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.