Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH

Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH

Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 44 Issued at 5:42 pm WST on Saturday 29 January 2011

CYCLONE BIANCA MAY IMPACT COMMUNITIES IN THE SOUTHWEST OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA ON SUNDAY

Bianca will be rapidly weakening as it approaches the coast on Sunday. Tides
between Jurien Bay and Cape Naturaliste will be higher than normal and are
likely to rise above the highest astronomical tide level. There is uncertainty
about how fast it will be moving as it approaches the coast and therefore there is some risk that Bianca could still have additional impacts on the southwest of WA. People should prepare for:
. COASTAL EROSION and FLOODING OF LOW LYING COASTAL AREAS
. ROUGH SEAS and DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS
. DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 100 kilometres per hour
. VERY HIGH to SEVERE FIRE DANGERS
. HEAVY RAINFALL south of the cyclone with possible LOCALISED FLOODING.

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal areas from Jurien Bay to Albany,
including Perth, Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton.

Bianca continues to weaken as it begins to move towards the southwest corner of the state. As it approaches the coast it will weaken rapidly but there is some risk that Bianca could still have an impact on the southwest on Sunday. DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 100 kilometres per hour are possible southwest of a line Jurien Bay to Albany.

Tides between Jurien Bay and Cape Naturaliste will be higher than normal and
are likely to rise above the highest astronomical tide level with ROUGH SEAS,
DANGEROUS SURF. COASTAL EROSION and FLOODING of LOW LYING COASTAL AREAS. HEAVY RAINFALL is also possible on the southern side of the system with LOCALISED FLOODING. Extensive flooding is not expected.

VERY HIGH to SEVERE FIRE DANGERS are likely near the west coast and through the Central Wheat Belt on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails Tropical Cyclone Bianca - PERTH CYCLONE WATCH-bianca.gif  
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Just starting raining here and thunder. It seems to be coming in quickly. Might be time close down the computers to aviod getting zapped. Also, don't use phone on landline during a storm.
There's a lot of storms around there at the moment but they aren't actually part of the cyclone itself. She's still well offshore - currently looks like crossing about 8pm local time tomorrow (Sunday) - she may even drop down to a tropical low just before she crosses, rather than a cyclone, but there's still likely to be a lot of strong wind gusts.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:26 pm
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There's a lot of storms around there at the moment but they aren't actually part of the cyclone itself. She's still well offshore - currently looks like crossing about 8pm local time tomorrow (Sunday) - she may even drop down to a tropical low just before she crosses, rather than a cyclone, but there's still likely to be a lot of strong wind gusts.
I am just hoping that she will decrease the humidity! I am melting here.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:43 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Just got home from playing cricket in it today.. Some of the wave clouds were amazing.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 48
Issued at 6:10 am WST on Sunday 30 January 2011

The Cyclone WARNING for coastal areas from Jurien Bay to Albany, including
Perth, Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton has been CANCELLED.

At 5:00 am WST Tropical Cyclone Bianca, Category 1 was estimated to be
435 kilometres west northwest of Perth moving east southeast at 23 kilometres
per hour.

Bianca is rapidly weakening and is expected to be below cyclone intensity today
before it reaches the coast.

However, tides between Jurien Bay and Dunsborough will be higher than normal
and are likely to rise above the highest astronomical tide level on Sunday
evening. ROUGH SEAS, DANGEROUS SURF, COASTAL EROSION and FLOODING of LOW LYING
COASTAL AREAS are possible. Please refer to the Severe Weather Warning
[IDW28001] for further information.

Heavy rainfall is expected south of a line Bunbury to Albany this morning
however extensive flooding is not expected.

Please refer to Fire Weather Warning [IDW30000] for further information
regarding the Very High to Severe Fire Dangers near the west coast north of
Bunbury and through the Central Wheat Belt.

Details of Tropical Cyclone Bianca at 5:00 am WST:
.Centre located near...... 31.1 degrees South 111.4 degrees East
.Location accuracy........ within 55 kilometres
.Recent movement.......... towards the east southeast at 23 kilometres per hour
.Wind gusts near centre... 100 kilometres per hour
.Severity category........ 1
.Central pressure......... 990 hectoPascals

No further advices will be issued for this system.

Cyclone advices and State Emergency Service Community Alerts are available by
dialling 1300 659 210

A map showing the track of the cyclone is available at:
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/cyclone
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful day outside today!! OK so we not gonna get the cyclone but had kinda hoped we would get some rain
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:01 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Beautiful day outside today!! OK so we not gonna get the cyclone but had kinda hoped we would get some rain
Im over it now - all this cyclone business, it so isnt going to happen anyway, I want my quota of thunder and rain please.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Im over it now - all this cyclone business, it so isnt going to happen anyway, I want my quota of thunder and rain please.
You and me both honey!! we have gone from being in the eye of the storm to now just getting the left overs of rain!! well we havent seen a drop yet and it is so bloody humid right now my sweat is sweating!!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking the humidity now wasn't too bad.

(But then I lived in Singapore).
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Polly, for posting updates on WA too, even though you must have your hands full in Queensland.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Auslife will become famous soon enough

They made people worry about the cyclone and it never happened!

What warning did we get last March when the giant hailstones fell from the sky?!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:24 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Thanks, Polly, for posting updates on WA too, even though you must have your hands full in Queensland.
No probs, just glad Bianca collapsed before she reached the coast.

Originally Posted by Auslife
They made people worry about the cyclone and it never happened!

What warning did we get last March when the giant hailstones fell from the sky?!
There was probably a Severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time. I don't know as I don't have access to the archives for WA.

As for the cyclone warning - if people get warnings they complain, if people get wiped out by cyclones because they weren't warned, they complain. Its a thankless job, you can't please everyone.

I'm glad you felt strongly enough about it to sign up to the forum and express your view on the subject though

A previous cyclone in the same area was TC Alby

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 30th 2011 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Auslife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No probs, just glad Bianca collapsed before she reached the coast.

There was probably a Severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time. I don't know as I don't have access to the archives for WA.

As for the cyclone warning - if people get warnings they complain, if people get wiped out by cyclones because they weren't warned, they complain. Its a thankless job, you can't please everyone.

I'm glad you felt strongly enough about it to sign up to the forum and express your view on the subject though

A previous cyclone in the same area was TC Alby
That wasn't the reason I signed up....I was affected the hail storm and that's why I feel strongly about it.
Thanks for the info anyway...and the warm welcome
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:37 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Auslife
That wasn't the reason I signed up....I was affected the hail storm and that's why I feel strongly about it.
Thanks for the info anyway...and the warm welcome
Well you must admit you did sound rather as if you were complaining about the fact we warn people about a cyclone that in the end didn't reach the coast
I do put storm warnings on here too at times, but I don't get the alerts for WA as a regular thing - I'm not as familiar with the criteria that trigger storm warnings in WA either, only the Qld ones.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

BOM's info page about the March hailstorm in Perth: http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/sevwx/perth...20100322.shtml

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.