Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tropical Cyclone Anthony

Tropical Cyclone Anthony

Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather related disaster/emergency info thread

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Untrained eyes can sometimes see very well.........

At present its too undefined to say how strong a system it will be or where its likely to go, but......... the guys in the Weatherzone forum are certainly not ruling out the south-east and they have been watching these for years in some cases. Following the computer models on Weatherzone over the last week I'd say personally there is a fairly good chance of the southern half of the State copping something. A few of us played around with the models last week and although they all have differences in them, the basic idea is pretty much the same.

Its way out of the area of responsibiity for the Bureau of Met, besides being too undefined for them to be able to issue anything official even if they have any ideas themselves.

We are going back onto a more-staff-24/7 basis at work from Sunday.

If it does cross the Qld coast we are looking at least a week away I reckon, so I suggest keep your eyes on it. If you want the geekie stuff, follow the forums on Weatherzone, and I'll put what I can on here. I'd also be taking myself out to Bunnings or somewhere for a tarp and some rope and look at checking out that evacuation kit you put together, just in case.

http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/emq/css/beprepared.asp

==============================================
As usual, this is my own observations - if I'm posting official stuff from the Bureau, EMQ etc I will make it very clear that it is from them.
================================================== ===
Kewl, thanks ... it does look a bit threatening and doesn't hurt to get some supplies in before the official panic starts and the media ramps up the hysteria ... again

Ta for the links, I like the geeky stuff. What I can rationalise I can live with easier.

I'm unpacking nothing of importance, I think the long-term forecasters have been pretty much spot-on so far and reckon we ain't out of the woods by any means.

Forecast looks OK for playing cricket on Sunday, I think I'll make the most of that!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tropical Cyclone Anthony

Posts split from the main disaster thread, I reckon he deserves his own now!

The general disaster thread is here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696658

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 28th 2011 at 3:40 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:51 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Anthony

QUEENSLAND faces a renewed cyclone threat with a major system forming off Fiji which could be headed our way.

Cyclone Anthony has re-formed and could hit Queensland's tropical coast by Monday - somewhere between Cardwell and Bowen - and there could be more bad news for the flood-weary state, with the weather bureau keeping an eye on the tropical low further east.

Premier Anna Bligh reformed the State Disaster Management Group today to handle the two weather systems that could lead to further major flooding and storm damage.

Ms Bligh said that given cyclones were notoriously fickle, she hoped it would not come to the worst but officials had to be prepared.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:22 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Get your kites ready.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:24 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bix
Get your kites ready.
And use more pegs when hanging yer underwear out
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

And use more pegs when hanging yer underwear out
My underwear is bigger than most kites, I have Peter Powell Stunt Pants.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

QUEENSLAND faces a renewed cyclone threat with a major system forming off Fiji which could be headed our way.

Cyclone Anthony has re-formed and could hit Queensland's tropical coast by Monday - somewhere between Cardwell and Bowen - and there could be more bad news for the flood-weary state, with the weather bureau keeping an eye on the tropical low further east.

Premier Anna Bligh reformed the State Disaster Management Group today to handle the two weather systems that could lead to further major flooding and storm damage.

Ms Bligh said that given cyclones were notoriously fickle, she hoped it would not come to the worst but officials had to be prepared.
Looks like we've got one in WA too:
TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TRACK MAP
Severe Tropical Cyclone Bianca
Issued at 9:25 am WST Friday 28 January 2011. Refer to Tropical Cyclone Advice Number 33.
Attached Thumbnails Tropical Cyclone Anthony-cyclone.bmp  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Looks like we've got one in WA too:
TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TRACK MAP
Severe Tropical Cyclone Bianca
Issued at 9:25 am WST Friday 28 January 2011. Refer to Tropical Cyclone Advice Number 33.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/cid:i...BBED1.E4F64C20
You sure have, I was busy sorting a thread for you guys as you posted this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702684

Stay safe

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 28th 2011 at 5:13 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You sure have, I was busy sorting a thread for you guys as you posted this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702684

Stay save
I went out with a girl named Bianca - she was a PITA, so kind of an apt name.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:14 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I went out with a girl named Bianca - she was a PITA, so kind of an apt name.

One of the guys I work with is called Anthony, he got really excited when TC Anthony got named, but you can imagine the jokes from the rest of us as the system fizzled out a bit and went limping out to sea for a while
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:08 am
Home and Happy

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 1
Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
Issued at 4:56pm EST on Friday the 28th of January 2011

A Cyclone WATCH is now current for coastal and island communities from Innisfail to Sarina.

At 4:00 pm EST Tropical Cyclone Anthony, Category 1 was estimated to be
980 kilometres east northeast of Townsville and 890 kilometres east northeast of Bowen, moving north northeast at 7 kilometres per hour.

Tropical Cyclone Anthony is moving in a northerly direction and is expected to
move in a southwesterly direction during Saturday.

Damaging winds are expected to develop about coastal and island communities between Innisfail and Sarina late on Sunday.

People between Innisfail and Sarina should consider what action they will need
to take if the cyclone threat increases.
- Information is available from your local government
- For cyclone preparation and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster
Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on
132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on
buildings or roof damage].
Attached Thumbnails Tropical Cyclone Anthony-1655-280111.gif  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

well i thought i was going to get a wet and windy birthday today but the sun has shone all day, so no cyclones here, will keep looking though it has to wait as i still don't have my survival kit ready
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:32 am
Mostly Harmless

So, does a 'reformed' Cyclone behave any better?

Does the meteorological justice system work or is just cranking out institutionalised re-offenders?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DeadVim
So, does a 'reformed' Cyclone behave any better?

Does the meteorological justice system work or is just cranking out institutionalised re-offenders?
We wish They seem to be just as unruly as the first time round!

Starting to look like the swirl could become TC Yasi.....

See attached Bureau forecast charts for the next 4 days
Attached Thumbnails Tropical Cyclone Anthony-idg00074.gif  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:05 am
Mostly Harmless

We wish They seem to be just as unruly as the first time round!

Starting to look like the swirl could become TC Yasi.....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xU2bZyt6j6U

See attached Bureau forecast charts for the next 4 days
Ta, good luck to anyone trying to get Logan's plans ... they were non-existent a couple of weeks ago.

As is Andy Murray's form in the tennis at the moment ... First time I've switched it on, might have to turn it off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.