Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Old May 5th 2011, 12:39 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tripadvisor Review: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Dreamy
There was a woman on the radio a couple of months ago, moaning that there were people daring to live in Housing Association homes near her million dollar home on the coast.

'Why can't they be moved somewhere unimportant, like Penrith?' she asked.
Old May 5th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How is it harsh to tell the truth? And no, I would not be more lenient if someone I know runs a hotel. In fact, on Tripadvisor a country inn owned and run by people I know in Canada has some really horrible reviews. All true and one of them is mine.

How is it flexible, charitable and accepting to take a bribe? Are bribes legally or morallly accepted in your world?
haha whatever, I am amazed by the posters on here with thousands of posts who get so ruffled if someone dare challenge their point of view or disagree and then just come back with a dumb statement like 'are bribes legally accepted in your world'

No Dot, I am not corrupt, I just disagree with your post, I am just trying to look at things from both sides of the coin.
Old May 5th 2011, 2:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
haha whatever, I am amazed by the posters on here with thousands of posts who get so ruffled if someone dare challenge their point of view or disagree and then just come back with a dumb statement like 'are bribes legally accepted in your world'

No Dot, I am not corrupt, I just disagree with your post, I am just trying to look at things from both sides of the coin.
You say 'ruffled', I say 'discussion'.
Old May 5th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You say 'ruffled', I say 'discussion'.
yes, fair enough MP, I guess its sometimes hard to quite pick the tone on forums, emails and sms, hence why there are so many blow ups.
Old May 5th 2011, 6:55 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolAllie
Leave the review up there. If the hotel has got its act together and improved the latest reviews will reflect this and also will show the reviews on Trip Advisor have made the hotelier realise that they needed to improve.
I use Trip Adisor all the time and would be really cross if I knew someone was bribed to removed a review.
Absolutely agree. If they've bucked their ideas up, more recent reviews will reflect this. You can only post your honest observations from the time you were there.

I use Trip Advisor a lot, I've just come back from a few weeks in Costa Rica and used TA to help chose every place we stayed in, and it was really useful. It's interesting sometimes when hotel owners/managers make replies to negative comments, but it would make it pointless if posters removed any negative experiences, and I'd be pissed off if people did that (particularly if bribed to by the hotel!)

Also agree you should contact TA about this, it would be interesting to see what they say about it.
Old May 5th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazed no one has asked this

How did they know to contact you based on a trip advisor review?

How did they know how to contact you?

Personally I'd leave it up, if they are that worried and you need a bit of cash I'd be threatening to add another review stating what they had done if they don't up it to a few thousand.
Old May 5th 2011, 11:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
How did they know to contact you based on a trip advisor review?

How did they know how to contact you?
Because it's just like this site...they can send a PM to your username...and that's what they did.
Old May 5th 2011, 12:15 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You should be ashamed of yourself. And both of those young men should wash their mouths out with soap. I for one am shocked and appalled at the language.
He started it
Old May 6th 2011, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go getting excited about the honesty of any reviews on Trip Advisor. TA have been the subject of much media scrutiny here in the USA for some time now over how they decide whether or not a good or bad review will get posted. It's been well documented that anyone can log a negative review even if they never stayed there.

http://beatofhawaii.com/tripadvisor-...eviews-part-2/
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle6583450.ece

Trip Advisor refuse to take down negative reviews even when they can be proven false. However, my understanding is they operate similar to Yelp. If a company buys advertising from TA, they help to "filter" the negatives and bump the property further up a search.

We were having this discussion with a restauranteur yesterday and he was telling us how he was offered encouragement to participate in their advertising scheme for $400 a month. They have refused. He tried to post a positive comment for the restaurant himself, from a different town to where the restaurant is. It would not post, had to be held for review. He has had numerous customers tell him the same. He then went and posted a negative review and that posted immediately.

To the originator of this post why don't you suggest they sponsor you for a another stay and if it is satisfactory do an updated review.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
To the originator of this post why don't you suggest they sponsor you for a another stay and if it is satisfactory do an updated review.
I'm not a hotel critic! I'm hardly going to travel to Sydney to stay in a hotel which I've vowed never to stay in again.

As far as I know, ALL reviews are moderated...I have posted both positive & negative reviews and all take time to be visible on the site.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be surprised if all comments are moderated as they post within seconds.

I would be asking the hotel to pay for the trip. They can take it out of their marketing budget and pay your airfare and give you the room and you can honestly do what they have asked you to do if they have done what they said they have.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I'd be surprised if all comments are moderated as they post within seconds.

I would be asking the hotel to pay for the trip. They can take it out of their marketing budget and pay your airfare and give you the room and you can honestly do what they have asked you to do if they have done what they said they have.
I've never had a review post in seconds.

As for your suggestion...sounds like me trying to bribe them...free trip to Sydney? I don't think so.
Old May 6th 2011, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
In that case I'd leave the review as it stands and let Tripadvisor know that the hotel is using information on the site in a harassing manner.

Bugger'em.
I would leave the review and photos up. If your experience was truly awful and you're being honest in your review then it's fair and accurate. Expecially if you have photos to prove what you're saying. I would not take money from them to remove the review. Even giving it to charity won't make you feel good about it. If the hotel contacts you again forward all their emails to Tripadvisor and maybe the SMH letters to the editor section.
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They've shot themselves in the foot.

The offer of full refund is a tacit admission that your experience was very poor, which means your review is entirely valid and you are under no obligation to remove it. If they agree you deserve a refund, they should be giving it to you with no strings attached. A refund is not supposed to be a bribe.

I would point this out to them, refuse the money and inform Tripadvisor, quoting the hotel's messages in full. Don't ask them to remove anything; let Tripadvisor take care of this.
Agree with all of these, let Tripadvisor deal with it. Good luck BC
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen this. UK arm, you are not alone BC............
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just seen this. UK arm, you are not alone BC............
Interesting.

My Sydney hotel has received several positive reviews since my dealings with them. Strangely they always come from new TA members, who have only ever written one review...one of them even claims to live in the same suburb as the hotel, not sure why they were staying there!

Hotel management comments on any negative reviews that they are fake - the irony!

Not sure why TA doesn't just go ahead and blacklist them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.