Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Travel to UK concerns

Travel to UK concerns

Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Travel to UK concerns

Wanting to travel to UK in July/August, flights are really good at the moment. But have concerns about Corona virus.
Being a type 2 diabetic, a few more concerns than normal about sitting on a plane/ airports for hours.
Anyone else have concerns?
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to UK concerns

This is probably something you would be better off discussing with your GP. Good luck.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Wanting to travel to UK in July/August, flights are really good at the moment. But have concerns about Corona virus.
Being a type 2 diabetic, a few more concerns than normal about sitting on a plane/ airports for hours.
As Daunted says you'd get the best advice for your specific circumstances from your GP. There's an awful lot of misinformation around on the web and social media.

For what it's worth I'm going ahead with a trip in 6 weeks visiting the UK, Italy, Spain, Turkey and Malaysia. The only modification I've made is to book independent accommodation in the UK instead of staying with relatives as planned, and that's because if things change and we're required to self isolate in the UK then we don't want to be doing that with elderly family members who have existing health conditions.

Something to be aware of, if you book your trip now and then change your mind down the track, your travel insurer won't cover you for your cancelled flights or accommodation so if you wanted some certainty you'd need to book the more expensive fully flexible flights (and accommodation). It's also doubtful whether you'd be covered for any additional expenses you incur on holiday, including medical expenses related to the virus, flights cancelled by airlines etc etc, as insurers have stated they'll only provide this cover for people who bought their policies prior to 23 January (when the WHO declared the virus an international health emergency). For that reason alone, if you're not 100% sure that you'll go ahead with the trip no matter what and you're not confident that you can obtain and pay for any necessary health care plus any additional costs, then I'd leave booking it until the fuss has died down.

We're covered for any additional expenses that are beyond our control, including medical, cancelled flights and accommodation, because we bought our policy prior to the virus outbreak. But even we aren't covered for 'change of mind' cancellations of flights and accommodation, we're only covered if the Oz government issues a 'do not travel' advisory for any of the countries we're visiting, if the airlines or accommodation providers themselves cancel, or if the respective governments of the countries we're visiting put travel restrictions or isolation policies in place that affect us.

Hope that helps rather than confuses!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 5th 2020 at 3:27 am.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice from Spouse of Scouse about the travel insurance. So many people think they're covered but are finding out, with the Covid-19 cancellations many are left short.

I'm watching intently with (legitimate) travel insurance providers bringing out new policies that do cover this... albeit at a (probably vastly) increased premium.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 11:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you're traveling overseas, enjoy it and have fun but I'm personally glad that we've got nothing planned (which is unusual for us) for this year.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 1:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Great advice from Spouse of Scouse about the travel insurance. So many people think they're covered but are finding out, with the Covid-19 cancellations many are left short.
I've gone into the travel insurance thing in some depth, but only because I'm travelling soon. To be honest I'd have preferred to remain blissfully ignorant of the whole thing, it's a gigantic headache But yes, people do need to be aware of the ins and outs. Bad enough if you experience any knock on effects from illness/quarantine/cancellation/disruption, but so much worse if you're uninsured.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you're traveling overseas, enjoy it and have fun but I'm personally glad that we've got nothing planned (which is unusual for us) for this year.
Thanks Timing could have been better but no one has a crystal ball I guess.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
+1. We're off to Singapore and Vietnam in 3 weeks, hopefully, and I'm very glad I didn't delay and renewed our annual travel insurance on 20th January. When I phoned to check where we'd stand if we couldn't travel, I was told we'd get a full refund on everything, but only because we paid for it 3 days before that deadline.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 2:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
I suspect, as this IS a world wide pandemic now, that you are as likely to get it at home as in travelling to another country that doesn't have a huge number of cases. The exceptions at the moment seem to be China and Northern Italy, howver things are changing every day, Italy is in lockdown, Fotball matches are being called off, and why on earth they haven't called off the Liverpool v Milan tonight I do not understand.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 11:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Timing could have been better but no one has a crystal ball I guess.
Who would have guessed it! Have fun anyway
Old Mar 12th 2020, 9:19 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Practically, the international (and probably domestic) airline routes will probably grind to a halt within a few weeks anyway, almost certainly by Easter. When will they start up again? Well it's likely that quite a few airlines will go to the wall, airlines being sickly business children at the best of times. Thus until we are out the other side (probably Sept on) I wouldn't even be booking flights, let alone be getting on a plane.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The annual Austrian ski trip just got canned for next week. All resorts in the Tyrol are shutting down this weekend for the season. Unfortunate but fair.