Travel Bug...

Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:16 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Bug...

...not the contagious kind

Just being a bit nosey really. I know a fair few of you on here have/do travel, but where do you think it comes from? Did your parents travel? Is it just for work? Do you love/hate it? Or is your migration the only time you have/will travel?

I am VERY envious of people who have travelled, especially to the more obscure/lesser known areas. My parents have never traveled. Farthest my mum has gone is Scotland, and I think the farthest my dad has gone may be York? (they're from darn sarf) Two of my brothers have travelled quite a extensively, mainly for work, but the farthest I went prior to Aus, was Florida. I would have loved to have travelled more, but just didn't have the funds (was one of the reasons I joined the Army, but that wasn't meant to be)

ROMFT is pretty much the most travelled of his family and enjoys it and I hope that the kids get the chance to do it (although L is saying she hates flying because she has been ill following 2 long haul flights)

I have dreams of when we are in our twilight years, of selling up, buying a <small> gin palace and just sailing around the world (avoiding certain areas of Africa). That's after we've campervanned around Australia and NZ
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Bug...

My dad was in the Met office and was stationed in various places around the world on RAF bases.

I was born in Bahrain, then my brother was born in Bedford, we moved to Wildenrath, Germany, where my sister was born, and then became fairly boring, moving to Pershore, Worcs, and then Urchfont, Wilts, where we stayed, so as not to disrupt our secondary education. Dad still went off to postings in Aden, Mazeirah, Cyprus, Malta, and Ascension Island, for up to 6 months at a time. I think the love of travel and seeing new places was inculcated by our lifestyle. With my OH we've been around France, Holland, Yugoslavia, and to Lapland and Scandanavia in Europe, St Lucia (on honeymoon), Dubai, NZ, and now Aus. DD has got the travel bug and has been to New Caledonia and is off to Fiji in June. OH also travels on business to the Pacific rim countries and India.

In December we are going to have a few days in Tokyo.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I NEED to have holidays planned at all times...don't like it if I don't have flights booked to somewhere!

I don't do any work travel any more and although I'd like to I think that would involve a change of jobs. I've told my boss that she can send me anywhere she likes as long as there are frequent flyer points involved.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have always loved to travel. My parents didn't really travel much - ok, I guess they did a bit. I can remember my dad going to Winnipeg when I was about 8 and he used to travel within Ontario for work. Bear in mind that Ontario is 4 times as large as the UK, that's a pretty wide area to travel. He used to go to a lot of remote areas, so would have to be gone for a week or more at a time. My mom used to go to my auntie's cottage every summer for a week (4-5 hour drive) and once a year she and her best friend would go to Florida for a week.

I left home when I was 16 and travelled to Winnipeg with my then-boyfriend. I left him about 6 months later and bought a CanRail pass. I would get on the train and jump off in some random small town, work for a few months to earn some $$ then move on to the next town. I lived and worked in some really great places - Banff/Canmore, Vancouver, Estevan SK, I helped a guy renovate an abandoned railway lodge into a B&B in Northern Ontario. I did that until I was 21 then moved back to my hometown where I lived with 2 of my brothers.

Over the years I've travelled to about 35 of the US States. I love the US. There's such a variety of people and places to see there. I know people talk about things being "American", but America is so diverse it's impossible to say just what "American" is.

Anyway, I'm a little like BC in that I always have to have the next trip planned. Travelling overseas is relatively new to me, as living in Canada we never even had passports until we decided to move to Australia. We never needed them to travel around North America and some parts of the Carribean.

Since moving here, though I've been to all kinds of great places. I try to get to Canada every second year, but alternate years I go somewhere different. And when I do go to Canada I try to go different routes each time so I can get a stopover in a new place. Last year I went via Dubai and had 24 hours there. The time before I did it 'round the world and stopped in Singapore and London on my way to Toronto and in Honolulu and Auckland on the way home. Two years ago my sister and I met in Bangkok and then went to Cambodia and Vietnam. This year we're going to meet in Prague and then spend a couple of weeks travelling through Czech Republic and Poland with a side trip on the way home to Sydney for 4 days to meet up with the lovely Dreamy, beautiful Seasider and gorgeous Moneypenny.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:33 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

We love travelling. It's our 'thing' and since we don't have children (and don't plan on having any) we are those DINKs(?) double income no kids that have the time and money to go on cool holidays instead.

We always have one or two trips planned. In June we are going away for 6 weeks to Mexico, Cuba and Colombia. I can't wait! And in September we're going to Singapore Grand Prix and then having a week in Langkawi while we're there. Over the last couple of years we've been to Costa Rica, Japan (Tokyo and skiing), a couple of different places in Malaysia etc. When we lived in London we used to have weekends or long weekends in European places all of the time (so quick, cheap and easy! How I miss that!) or even New York.

When we moved from England to Australia (4 and a half years ago now) we went via South America, since we were between jobs etc, and had 6 or 7 weeks seeing some of Brazil, Argentina and Peru (LOVED it) and then Fiji on the way to Brisbane.

I think we've both always loved to travel (the husband is an Aussie, and we met in London when he'd gone over there with some mates to live in London for a year and see a bit of Europe - met me and ended up staying for 8 years....!).

But I think our travel bug really stuck when we both took 12 months off work (about 8 or 9 years ago now) and went travelling for 12 months. It was like a gap year but as grown ups with money. It was the best thing we've ever done. We travelled through South Africa, Mozambique, Singapore, the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, drove around Australia (we borrowed his brothers car lol), New Zealand, the Cook Islands and French Polynesia/Bora Bora (for a mini holiday at the end )

My Grandparents started travelling when they sold their farm when they retired. They always told us that they were so lucky to have the money and health when they finally retired, and encouraged us to travel while we were young. They were dairy farmers and never had days off (the cows always need milking!) let alone holidays their whole working lives.

So yeah, I just absolutely love it. I think it's weird when people don't want to get out there and see some of the world. Is such a big place full of amazing things! I know some people that have barely left the small town I grew up in Just seems quite narrow minded. But I guess the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Mind you, as well as fancy or far away holidays, we also love doing things like going camping on the beach at Fraser Island for a week, like we did last year. I love 5 star hotels, but I can slum it with the best of them
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:37 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, apologies for the long post!

I'm procrastinating from studying for some detective exams.... And looking forward to our holiday in June is keeping me going!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have always loved to travel. My parents didn't really travel much - ok, I guess they did a bit. I can remember my dad going to Winnipeg when I was about 8 and he used to travel within Ontario for work. Bear in mind that Ontario is 4 times as large as the UK, that's a pretty wide area to travel. He used to go to a lot of remote areas, so would have to be gone for a week or more at a time. My mom used to go to my auntie's cottage every summer for a week (4-5 hour drive) and once a year she and her best friend would go to Florida for a week.

I left home when I was 16 and travelled to Winnipeg with my then-boyfriend. I left him about 6 months later and bought a CanRail pass. I would get on the train and jump off in some random small town, work for a few months to earn some $$ then move on to the next town. I lived and worked in some really great places - Banff/Canmore, Vancouver, Estevan SK, I helped a guy renovate an abandoned railway lodge into a B&B in Northern Ontario. I did that until I was 21 then moved back to my hometown where I lived with 2 of my brothers.

Over the years I've travelled to about 35 of the US States. I love the US. There's such a variety of people and places to see there. I know people talk about things being "American", but America is so diverse it's impossible to say just what "American" is.

Anyway, I'm a little like BC in that I always have to have the next trip planned. Travelling overseas is relatively new to me, as living in Canada we never even had passports until we decided to move to Australia. We never needed them to travel around North America and some parts of the Carribean.

Since moving here, though I've been to all kinds of great places. I try to get to Canada every second year, but alternate years I go somewhere different. And when I do go to Canada I try to go different routes each time so I can get a stopover in a new place. Last year I went via Dubai and had 24 hours there. The time before I did it 'round the world and stopped in Singapore and London on my way to Toronto and in Honolulu and Auckland on the way home. Two years ago my sister and I met in Bangkok and then went to Cambodia and Vietnam. This year we're going to meet in Prague and then spend a couple of weeks travelling through Czech Republic and Poland with a side trip on the way home to Sydney for 4 days to meet up with the lovely Dreamy, beautiful Seasider and gorgeous Moneypenny.
We spent our tenth wedding anniversary in Prague.We had a ball there.I would hope to go back again one day.The trip to Sydney to visit the girls sounds great.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:13 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We spent our tenth wedding anniversary in Prague.We had a ball there.I would hope to go back again one day.The trip to Sydney to visit the girls sounds great.
We got engaged in Prague
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I love travelling, fortunately Mr BS does as well. Like BCWorld and Dorothy, I have to have my next holiday booked always, I love investigating my trips and spend a lot of time on it.

My parents did not travel and I did not travel growing up. I was 23 before I went overseas or "abroad" as we called it. Once I started to travel I never really stopped. I think I got the bug from school, learning about far away places made me want to go and see things for myself and I did as soon as I could afford to.

I think I am well travelled, been to at least a couple of countries in each continent. Apart from Antarctica, which I have never visited but we definitely plan to take an Antarctic cruise one day.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Bug...

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
We got engaged in Prague
I got laid in Prague.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:54 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I got laid in Prague.
Me too. Well it would've been rude not to after being given a big rock to put on my finger!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Bug...

Me too. Well it would've been rude not to after being given a big rock to put on my finger!
Love it!!

Good for you!!

Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That was Nassau Bahamas for me. The old man gave me a 1.2 ct solitaire set in a 1 ct band of diamonds for my 40th so it was only right that he got a little something in return.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:32 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I was dragged around everywhere as a kid as the old man was in the army. Born in east coast of Scotland, then moved to east coast for 2 years, then moved to Germany for 4 years, then back to west coast of Scotland and moved around there for years and ended up in 4 different primary schools

Soon as I hit 16 I was outa there, went to the south of England and moved around there for 9 years before returning to Scotland for 10 years, and inbetween spent some time in Republic of Ireland.

Now here in the land of Oz. Won't be for ever, I can't stay put for more than 5-10 years.

Is it any wonder?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:19 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I was a RAF brat then married an army man. I am still travelling Australia is a new jumping off point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.